Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm too young to know Dark Shadows. I've only tried to watch one episode a longtime ago and I knew it was like a soap. During and before seeing this movie. I have been only hearing bits and bits from my mother's memory.
My Mom watched it all the time; she had a crush on Barnabas, lol. I've seen bits and pieces over the years; it's cheesy but still easy to get caught up in, the way a good soap should be, hehe.

Hayley B

Reaction score
My Mom watched it all the time; she had a crush on Barnabas, lol. I've seen bits and pieces over the years; it's cheesy but still easy to get caught up in, the way a good soap should be, hehe.
I was kind of looking for any Dvds that they might have of the old show today. Saw some old ones from Amazon. Then I went to walmarts. Saw nothing there.

amygam

Reaction score
Im pretty excited for the movie " seeking a friend for the end of the world".

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was kind of looking for any Dvds that they might have of the old show today. Saw some old ones from Amazon. Then I went to walmarts. Saw nothing there.
That's what I've been saying. Usually, when a TV show based movie comes out, you'll see DVD releases of those shows to drum up interest/tie in with merchandising. Target has an exclusive Men In Black: The Series Season One set (that's doing pretty well). But why was there no "Best Of" Dark Shadows release being released at retail to drum up interest in the movie? Like I said, the demographic of this show is far to young to have seen an episode or have even heard of it and just wanna see another Depp/Burton film.

Hubert

Reaction score
Me and my mom finally saw Dark Shadows this weekend. My thoughts are, it was really good at times. But then again, I thought it could really stupid at times too.

My mother's thoughts were, "It's not like the old show. But still enjoyable".

I'm too young to know Dark Shadows. I've only tried to watch one episode a longtime ago and I knew it was like a soap. During and before seeing this movie. I have been only hearing bits and bits from my mother's memory.
Someone I know is so mad about the Dark Shadows movie and is basically protesting against it. A fan of the show, he feels that the movie appears to be a disgrace to the show and he refuses to see the movie.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Someone I know is so mad about the Dark Shadows movie and is basically protesting against it. A fan of the show, he feels that the movie appears to be a disgrace to the show and he refuses to see the movie.
The movie isn't terrible, but it's definitely 10% Dark Shadows concept and 90% plotless Tim Burton artistry. I can understand your friend's refusal to see it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
More fallout from the G.I. Joe movie's abrupt change...The toy line is being pulled from stores before it even hits the shelves.

And the scalpers rejoiced.

The truth has been leaked. They are indeed running scared due to John Carter and Battleship not doing so well, and Paramount wanted to go back and redo some crucial parts of the film that fell flat with test audiences.

Sigh... Too bad the Transformer movies are so popular that they don't have to do squat to improve them.

The movie isn't terrible, but it's definitely 10% Dark Shadows concept and 90% plotless Tim Burton artistry. I can understand your friend's refusal to see it.
Yeah, but the film's target demo is the audience that wants to see that 90% of something familiar. That's why all cartoons based on beloved franchises we're too old to see anyway have to pander to 4 year olds that still think potty humor is fascinating (just learning how to work it themselves).

jvcarroll

Reaction score
More fallout from the G.I. Joe movie's abrupt change...The toy line is being pulled from stores before it even hits the shelves.

And the scalpers rejoiced.

The truth has been leaked. They are indeed running scared due to John Carter and Battleship not doing so well, and Paramount wanted to go back and redo some crucial parts of the film that fell flat with test audiences.

Sigh... Too bad the Transformer movies are so popular that they don't have to do squat to improve them.

Yeah, but the film's target demo is the audience that wants to see that 90% of something familiar. That's why all cartoons based on beloved franchises we're too old to see anyway have to pander to 4 year olds that still think potty humor is fascinating (just learning how to work it themselves).
It's rarely a good idea to delay releases. I think GI Joe is the exception. No one can top the Avengers and everything seems to get lost along side it. MIB3 really rose to the occasion in a way nobody could have predicted. That was on a path of colossal failure yet was saved from a brilliant marketing campaign that has even me wanting to see it. I hope it's a least somewhat good. The best way that Joe can spawn more sequels is to not juxtapose it to the Avengers' success.

Dark Shadows backfired. It cost $150 million to make, another $80m to market = $230 million investment. It's at $172m worldwide and not likely to hit $200m. Take out the theaters' take, Johnny Depp's percentage stake and the fact that it's quickly falling off the charts, it won't likely make a legitimate profit until a second round on home video! It's not technically a flop or a fizzle. It's a studio disappointment. They definitely noticed the $300 million+ it took to make and market his Alice in Wonderland that reaped over $1 billion worldwide. That was a fluke. It's beautiful, but lifeless and really not a very good movie. Otherwise, I don't understand why he still gets all these chances. For every Alice there's an Apes. I guess his catalog has a longterm shelf life.

Hayley B

Reaction score
That's what I've been saying. Usually, when a TV show based movie comes out, you'll see DVD releases of those shows to drum up interest/tie in with merchandising. Target has an exclusive Men In Black: The Series Season One set (that's doing pretty well). But why was there no "Best Of" Dark Shadows release being released at retail to drum up interest in the movie? Like I said, the demographic of this show is far to young to have seen an episode or have even heard of it and just wanna see another Depp/Burton film.
Yeah, it is a wonder why. I know they just recently brought out an out an old animation movie/show of The Lorex.

oh my! But haha too funny in a way.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's rarely a good idea to delay releases. I think GI Joe is the exception. No one can top the Avengers and everything seems to get lost along side it. MIB3 really rose to the occasion in a way nobody could have predicted. That was on a path of colossal failure yet was saved from a brilliant marketing campaign that has even me wanting to see it. I hope it's a least somewhat good. The best way that Joe can spawn more sequels is to not juxtapose it to the Avengers' success.

Joe was supposed to come out the end of next month. It's not so much Avengers they're worried about as much as it is Spider-Man. The report also said that things tested negatively and they had to go back and rewrite and reshoot some stuff.

But over all, this is a very competitive summer, and we've only had 2 blockbuster openings so far, so it's pretty hard to gauge how the other films are going to fare... it's safe to say that Spidey and Batman are going to do well. Joe would have been in direct competition of those (and Brave, even though it's only a similar audience). Still, I hope March is a good fit for the franchise. I'd hate to see Marshalls get in the toys and clear them out and restock them and clear them out again 5 times like the last movie. Seriously. PICK A LANE! Clear them out or sell them at regular price.