Muppet Conductor

crossmr

Reaction score
For the last couple of days I've been trying to figure out this memory I have of a muppet conductor. I've searched and found nothing really, at least not one that is like the memory I have. I have a memory from the 80s about a muppet conductor. It might have been on sesame street, but I don't think so. The conductor was quite wild. At least I'm fairly certain it was a conductor, I seem to recall him going nuts as a conductor would in a humorous way. Exaggerated arm swinging and wild hair.

However, through all my googling I can't seem to find any evidence that Sesame street or the muppets ever had a character like this. Does anyone remember a bit like this from the 80s? Perhaps on another show that I might be misremembering as the muppets?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried going to the Muppet Wiki and searched for "Muppet conductor" or just "conductor"? I know there's Nigel as the conductor of the orchestra from The Muppet Show; a Balloon-Headed Conductor, also from TMS; a Bandstand Conductor from the Jim Henson Videos release titled Neat Stuff To Know and To Do; and a Turkey Conductor from Sesame Street. However, you may also be thinking of the character Gillis Fraggle from Fraggle Rock or the Wild Impressario from The Ghost of Faffner Hall.

Hope this helps. :search:

crossmr

Reaction score
of course, it isn't the muppet conductor on the wiki at all. He has quite short hair. As far as I know I never watched Faffner hall or any of the special videos jim henson released, and it definitely wasn't a turkey.. I almost feel like the bit involved a muppet/puppet that wasn't usually a conductor..but it's a very vague memory that I've been trying to pull at for a bit now.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, maybe someone else "may" chime in should they know anything else. Sorry I can't help you further.

crossmr

Reaction score
No worries, I know it's a bit vague so hard to pin down. I appreciate the suggestions.

crossmr

Reaction score
Nigel feels a bit familiar. I seem to remember this was a humorous conductor sketch with the conductor often going off, maybe throwing/breaking the wands, and going fairly crazy throughout. But it definitely wasn't any kind of animal like a turkey.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I know you mentioned Sesame Street and Muppet conductor...but is it possible you're thinking of the "That is not the note" sketch from Electric Company?

And even though he wasn't really a conductor might you also be thinking of Don Music?

crossmr

Reaction score
Probably not the electric company I never really watched that as a kid either.

It could be don music, I'd forgotten about him. Did he ever do a sketch where he went really crazy by the end? hair flying around?

dwmckim

Reaction score
Probably not the electric company I never really watched that as a kid either.

It could be don music, I'd forgotten about him. Did he ever do a sketch where he went really crazy by the end? hair flying around?
Practically every time he appeared (and head bangs on piano)!