Some thoughts on Muppet Treasure Island

Beauregard

Reaction score
I watched a little bit of it last week. Some scenes was alright. But I will not buy this one. Personally the reason why is because they only have Animal drumming in this one.
True, Animal doesn't get anything going on in this movie...They're just there for the music, and never get involved in politics!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Somehow, I don't like how they had Fred's party in MCC. It seemed like filler to overstate an obvious point. I wish they spent more time with Kermit and Piggy instead... at least beefed up the Fozziewig part of the story with footage of them working instead. I know most long form movies of Christmas Carol have that sequence, but it just makes yet another scene where Muppets just sit around as extras.
Suddenly I wonder if Fozzie would have worked well as Fred instead of Fezziwig. I know he was given that role because of the name similarity, but if Fezziwig had a different-sounding name, I think they could have had Fozzie play Fred (it'd give Fozzie a bigger role), and maybe Sam could have been Fezziwig instead of Scrooge's teacher (I think The Muppet Christmas Carol is the only version of the story to have such a prominient school scene).

Hayley B

Reaction score
True, Animal doesn't get anything going on in this movie...They're just there for the music, and never get involved in politics!
:embarrassed: Actually I just caught that part just now. That made me smile and go whoops at the sametime. :laugh:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think it would have been hard to give The Electric Mayhem big parts in The Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island. Are there any classic stories out there with roles that can easily be filled by The Electric Mayhem (I know, they were among the stars of Muppet Snow White, though they're a dwarf short.... But if Muppet Snow White was a movie they'd probably have more major characters as the Dwarfs and a human actress as Snow White)?

Powerstars

Reaction score
I think it would have been hard to give The Electric Mayhem big parts in The Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island. Are there any classic stories out there with roles that can easily be filled by The Electric Mayhem (I know, they were among the stars of Muppet Snow White, though they're a dwarf short.... But if Muppet Snow White was a movie they'd probably have more major characters as the Dwarfs and a human actress as Snow White)?
Yeah, and Statler and Waldorf could share the role of Grumpy!

Vincent L

Reaction score
Yeah, I wish they cast a less... well... effeminate kid to play Jim. If you ask me, it should have been Robin, but whatever...
I don't think Robin has the personality. Imagine Robin in a fighting scene…
The advantage of human cast is they can have any personality you want, but it doesn't work for Muppets.

I watched it last night actually and, I really HATE Jim Hawkins' singing voice. I don't get it, I just don't. It's too high and too hmmmm young I guess.
Really? I really like his singing voice. It reminds me of my own singing voice.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I keep reading that Sprocket shows up somewhere in this movie... Where is Sprocket? I watched today and looked closely at scenes where I would expect to see him, but couldn't. Meanwhile, I'd also read about Droop being in this, and spotted him for the first time in this movie today (his head is outside a window when the characters are getting on the Hispaniola). In fact I also noticed for the first time that the Koozebanian Phoob is sticking his head out a window in the background (though easier to spot than Droop) when everybody;s getting on the Hispaniola.

One thing I've often wondered and been confused about: Why does Long John Silver like Jim Hawkins so much (Family Guy could probably provide an answer...)? When Silver first meets the cabin boys, he says that Jim "must be Master Hawkins", as if he has some kind of reputation (well, his father had been a sailor or something like that). Long John doesn't seem to be as fadcinated with bonding with Gonzo and Rizzo (and Rizzo does complain about how "the human beings" want to hang out together, though in those cases it's more Jim ignoring them than Long John).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Another thing that I thought: Beauregard could have had the roles of Mr. Arrow or Squire Trelawny.

So Bo wouldn't have been as stern as Sam the Eagle, and maybe Captain Smollet wouldn't hire somebody as clueless as Bo (most of the crew had been hired by Squire Trelawny, but I think Smollett hired Arrow). But he would be enthusiastic about making sure everything is safe, and if told that the life boats might be unsafe that he'd be so worried as to test them out to make sure they weren't. Though I wonder if he'd blow it when pretending to be his ghost self.

And he would have been a better Squire Trelawny (better meaning it would have prevented making Fozzie stupid and flanderized for so long). He's stupid enough to have hired that crew.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Lately, I'm wondering if The Muppets is too much of a hit. I don't exactly find it overrated, and it is a great movie, but it seems I've encountered a lot of fans who prefer that over the earlier movies. I guess it makes sense for people born after (or around) 1999 who may not have been too aware of the Muppets until that film, but I've also heard people who had been kids back in the 1990s who have referred to this one as their favorite. I have a cousin who was born in 1988 who said that her favorite Muppet movie was "the first one", then specifying that she meant The Muppets and not The Muppet Movie. And there's the fact that The Muppets seems to be getting a lot of airplay on ABC Family and The Disney Channel these days, while the others seem to get significantly less (even though some of them have been broadcast on ABC Family this year).