Sam & Friends skits on Amazon mp3 and CD in print

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Hi, did anyone know that some of the songs used on Sam & Friends is on Amazon mp3, like Stan Freberg's Ci'bone, Yellow Roads of Texas, etc. Plus I've even heard Spike Jones' Posion to Posion is on there somewhere. I have some of the Stan Freberg stuff on my ipod.

Does anyone know of any of the other record tracks used on Sam & Friends?

Also I had a few questions about Sam & Friends just to brush up on my knowledge a little bit. Now the show was only shown at an NBC station in Washington DC right? Was it ever nation wide? I've heard it leaked a little bit in NY and that's how Steve Allen discovered them. Though I heard Jack Parr discovered The Muppets from a piece of film footage that got passed around.

And WTOP was the station The Junior Good Morning Show aired and Sam & Friends was a different station right?

Did the NBC Washington Station pay Jim to do the show or how was the deal done? I remember breifly hearing something about it on the CNN People Profile Documentry.
Did the station pay for the budget or did Jim pay for all materials for puppets and sets out of his own pocket?
Just curious.

And was Sam & Friends at the time considered to be for mature audiences only since it was a late night show for adults. It wasn't a family show right? I remember asking the ol' Jim Henson Company fan mail email back in the day if Sam & Friends was riskier in their humor then on The Muppet Show and they told me yes to a certain extent.

I kind of noticed when watching Stan Frebergs Ci-Bon when the lead singer says "I feel so good, I may kill myself." lol crackes me up still. lol Maybe because I have that old fashioned Looney Tunes type humor. lol

I have a DVD of some of the existing footage that I think I got from KermiClownVideos. Though I'm still searching for the full legnth Yellow Roads of Texas, Harry's Weather Machine and any others that's not in my combonation.

Anyway, I just had a few Sam & Friends questions.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Hi, did anyone know that some of the songs used on Sam & Friends is on Amazon mp3, like Stan Freberg's Ci'bone, Yellow Roads of Texas, etc. Plus I've even heard Spike Jones' Posion to Posion is on there somewhere. I have some of the Stan Freberg stuff on my ipod.
Considering the show used so many existing record tracks, I'm not surprised. I doubt those are available because of they were used on Sam & Friends.

mupcollector1 said:
Does anyone know of any of the other record tracks used on Sam & Friends?
I know that "That Old Black Magic", "Under My Skin", and "Where Hunger Comes From" were lip-synched on the show.

mupcollector1 said:
Did the NBC Washington Station pay Jim to do the show or how was the deal done? I remember breifly hearing something about it on the CNN People Profile Documentry.
Did the station pay for the budget or did Jim pay for all materials for puppets and sets out of his own pocket?
There's an interview with Jim Henson from 1982 (which can be found in Muppet Central's interviews section) where Jim said that he was only paid $5 a show.

ploobis

Reaction score
You can find "That Old Black Magic" on any Louis Prima & Keely Smith CD! Or you can buy the song from iTunes if ya want. :smile:

I love Louis Prima's music! that Sam and Friends sketch is how I first discovered Prima!

mupcollector1

Reaction score
You can find "That Old Black Magic" on any Louis Prima & Keely Smith CD! Or you can buy the song from iTunes if ya want. :smile:

I love Louis Prima's music! that Sam and Friends sketch is how I first discovered Prima!
Yeah same here, I had a cab driver years ago play his cassette and I was like, HEY THAT WAS ON SAM AND FRIENDS!

I used to have a cassette years ago. I need some Louis Prima and Kelly Smith on my iPod. Some of the best Jazz ever.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
There's an interview with Jim Henson from 1982 (which can be found in Muppet Central's interviews section) where Jim said that he was only paid $5 a show.
Wow, only $5. And Jim got $10 a week when we was performing on The Junior Good Morning Show. Good thing he majored in Business at The University of Maryland.
Which kind of confuses me. How did he go to college there and do Sam & Friends in Washington? Did he drive all that way back and forth?

Hubert

Reaction score
Wow, only $5. And Jim got $10 a week when we was performing on The Junior Good Morning Show. Good thing he majored in Business at The University of Maryland.
Which kind of confuses me. How did he go to college there and do Sam & Friends in Washington? Did he drive all that way back and forth?
It's only like a half hour a way. It's not that far. I'd imagine he did that.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Which kind of confuses me. How did he go to college there and do
Here's the quote from the interview:

I read that you were getting only $5 a show for Sam and Friends. Is that anything like reality?
HENSON: Yeah, well when I first started working, it was $5 a show; it was probably a little higher by the time I got to my own show, but I remember that they put me under contract at $100 a week, which to me was really an astronomical price.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Here's the quote from the interview:

I read that you were getting only $5 a show for Sam and Friends. Is that anything like reality?
HENSON: Yeah, well when I first started working, it was $5 a show; it was probably a little higher by the time I got to my own show, but I remember that they put me under contract at $100 a week, which to me was really an astronomical price.
Wow, very interesting. Thanks for sharing.