What If...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I got to thinking last night... we just had The Muppets in theaters last November, and it was such an incredible hit that a sequel is planned for theaters for 2013, and NOW, we've gotten word that Sesame Workshop is teaming up with Twentieth Century Fox to make a new theatrical SST movie.

So many movie franchises have really gotten sequelitis in recent years: Shrek, Ice Age, Chipmunks, those off-brand animated movies like Open Season and Hoodwinked, among others... should the Muppets allow sequelitis infect them as well? Assuming they could be done right (which unfortunately rarely happens in these cases), can you see the Muppets hopping on the bandwagon, and keep cranking like up to three more sequels in the next several years to come? I think that'd be pretty sweet.

MWoO

Reaction score
Well they kinda of already did that only over a longer period of time. You had TMM in 1979, then in 1981 you had GMC, then in 1984 there was MTM. a longer 7 year break was taken before MCC (in part due to Jim Henson working in other licenses and in part due to his passing) and then we get back on track with MTI in 1996 and MFS in 1999. It wasn't until MFS bombed that the string of muppet movies stopped. And of course you had the tv specials, some of which could be have been a theatrical release if reworked. AVMMC could have been in theaters with a little more money and a but better writing and MWoO could have been as well as a concept at least even if it wasn't a great movie.

I think company issues and MFS is what derailed the muppet train in 1999 and that Disney is getting it back on track and we shall see a muppet movie every 3 or 4 years like we use to. As long as they are good and make money I see no reason not to.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Muppets was a gauge to see how well a Muppet film franchise could do. it's hard to call sequelitis on this because the Muppets have had 7 theatrical movies and 3 DTV/Telefilms since 1979, when the first one was released. He idea of a follow up Muppet Movie was basically the goal of the first one. That's why they had a "bring the gang back together" plot, rather than a "shove them as secondary and tertiary characters in a famous novel" plot, which would have just relaunched the same films at best.

Well they kinda of already did that only over a longer period of time. You had TMM in 1979, then in 1981 you had GMC, then in 1984 there was MTM. a longer 7 year break was taken before MCC (in part due to Jim Henson working in other licenses and in part due to his passing) and then we get back on track with MTI in 1996 and MFS in 1999. It wasn't until MFS bombed that the string of muppet movies stopped. And of course you had the tv specials, some of which could be have been a theatrical release if reworked. AVMMC could have been in theaters with a little more money and a but better writing and MWoO could have been as well as a concept at least even if it wasn't a great movie.
Exactly. It's not like there were huge gaps (when they could help it) with Muppet films. GMC followed TMM in 2 years. That's usually the rate of sequels. Sometimes more... the last Madagascar movie was 4 years ago, ditto Chris Nolan's Batman franchise. It's not like the Muppets didn't have a vibrant film career before. I'd say more people remember them from movies than from the TV show.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Agreed with what everyone posted. If there is another movie after the one coming out next year I also suspect it wouldn't be for a few years. Maybe 4 years at the most.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It depends on if the schedule of the movie runs smoothly if we get the next one next year. I'm sure they'll pull it off. It will probably be another 2-3 year wait for the one after that if the second one is as successful or more (hopefully more) than the last one.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Ehh but I can barely think that far ahead one movie at a time please! Lol! Right now I'm just excited for the one coming out next year!! :smile:

Vincent L

Reaction score
I don't mind "sequelitis" as long as it's not rushed (like, a movie every year).

Misskermie

Reaction score
Many sequels, but paced and thought out like a good movie should.