Positive And Negative: Kermit's Swamp Years (Opinions on KSY)

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
So, who won this week's off-topic forum battle?
I'm surprised nobody used this as a secret weapon:

Along with such wonderfully thoughtful comments from some of the Muppets biggest fans who saw this special...
"OMG! I loved win dat chicken-thing sang 'mi mi mi mi' with Demi!"
and who could forget...
"I luv Cermit and Mrs. Piggy!"
"U go, puppets!"

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Getting back on topic (again)...

KSY Pros:
The idea of a movie about a young Kermit was nice.
Kermit's childhood friends (Goggles, Croaker, Blotch) were great.
Steve Whitmire got a special credit during the opening credits
Probably in a minority here, but I actually did like some of the songs (Amanda Marshall's "I Believe in You", for instance).
Young Jim Henson
Salmon Freinds
The dog named Rowlf
Kermit's scene with the live pig
Young Statler and Waldorf

Cons:
The fact that toilet humor was even considered
Despite the fact that the idea of this film was good, I really think that the story, jokes, etc., could have been more thought-out.
This is more of a nit-pick, but what era is this movie supposed to take place in? The high school that Kermit and co. visit looks very modern-dayish.
Outside of the always fantastic performances by the Muppet performers, it really seemed to lack the usual Muppet charm.

Overall, while not a terrible flick, it's still not a great one. It was clearly meant to be more of a movie for 'the kiddies' rather than for everybody.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Pros:
  • Kermit's friends are cool.
  • "Life as a Pet" is such a catchy song.
  • Kermit meeting Jim Henson.
  • All the little fan references.

In-Between:
  • I don't know what to make of the pig scene.
  • All the Wizard of Oz references, though I think the movie was referenced so much because it was reportedly the first movie Jim Henson ever saw.

Cons:
  • Kermit should have told this story to his more well-known friends (Fozzie, Piggy, Gonzo, and others), or at least just to Robin, as opposed to narrarating alone (almost like an honorary "Tales from Muppetland" special, except Kermit is the lead this time).
  • Aside from Statler and Waldorf's cameo, the lack of Dave Goelz, Jerry Nelson, Brian Henson, Kevin Clash, and Eric Jacobson (I'll excuse the lack of Frank Oz here). Then again, with it focusing on Kermit's childhood, before he met the others, could this have been an attempt to have newer performers work in a Muppet production? Whitmire and Barretta were really the only ones with maajor Muppet characters to have been heavily involved with this film.
  • All the bathroom humor. I didn't think Muppets from Space had much of it (and I was surprised by some of it when I first saw it), but here it seems like an awful lot for a Muppet movie.
  • Pilgrim is downright annoying.
  • Very few songs.
  • The audio commentary was very limited. When commentary is done by fictional characters that limits the amount of real information we can do, and they only talk at speciffic moments. And I don't remember any facts they provided that I don't know.

I haven't watched this movie in a few years. I keep meaning to rewatch it, but I keep holding off on it.

Borples

Reaction score
I've only seen the movie once, and that was a few years ago, so I can't really comment on that. But I can say that I love the blooper reel with fierce, fierce love. :smile: "Thank you, I've been practicing...."

Vincent L

Reaction score
What can I say? Everyone took all my answers. But I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks young Kermit is cute.