Rumor: New Sesame Street Movie in the Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's always been an unfortunate amount of people out there who have always seen the Muppets as a baby franchise.

Drtooth

Reaction score
EIG was a giant failure though because it was just a cartoony escapist movie. It made less than half it's budget back in US theater sales. Heck it made less than FTB which was released 14 years prior. A new sesame street movie can't just mindlessly target 3 year olds again. If they do the movie will bomb and it will likely hurt the next Muppet movie as people will again see The Muppets as a baby franchise.
Films don't usually flop because of poor writing. There are a LOT of well written, beloved movies that flop. Labyrinth, is one... but so wasn't Christmas staple "It's a Wonderful Life," which only gained a cult following due to the copyright expiring.

EIG failed first and foremost because the idea was too brilliant to not fail. Elmo's popularity just started... Tickle Me Elmo was the last year's toy sensation. Elmo's World just started up. An Elmo movie would seem like a no brainer... except for that pesky problem of only appealing to 3 year olds. The problem was they essentially made THIS movie...

It SHOULD have been big.... but there was no money in the budget to make an actual He-Man movie. They rushed something low budget out to get it at the height of the franchises popularity and wound up helping to end it.

While that last bit can't be said for EIG (Sesame Street is still strong as ever), it was a rushed out, low budget film, that had to get out before Elmo's popularity waned. Of course, it didn't... but the idea was stronger than the concept, and that lead to the movie being a flop... yet, the writing wasn't quite the problem with the film's lack of success...

what REALLY hurt the film was the fact that mom and dad can just stay home and have 3 year old Sydney watch Elmo for free. Or at least buy one of a hundred videos to rewatch a hundred times for the price of one adult ticket.

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
what episode number is the one where there apartment flooded?
That's episode 4276. It's really pretty cute. and we get to see a lot more interaction with the humans on the street than we normally do. Also, MuppetWiki says it's the first time Ernie's been a main character in a street story since season 35.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I would love to see some magical Sesame Street featuring Abby and gang. I mean seeing the gang get involved in some magical adventure like one of their Sesame Street Live shows seems fun.

Or maybe an adaptation of a Sesame Street Live show on the BIG SCREEN....like that World tour one. :insatiable:

SSLFan

Reaction score
Or maybe an adaptation of a Sesame Street Live show on the BIG SCREEN....like that World tour one. :insatiable:
A film adaptation of Super Grover! Ready for Action would be nice in that case. Though I'd rather see something fresh and new altogether in this case.:wink:

Just out of curiousty, would anyone like to see another "X" wants to tear down Sesame Street and it's up to "X" and the gang to stop it? I know it sounds cliche, but it could work if done well.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
A film adaptation of Super Grover! Ready for Action would be nice in that case. Though I'd rather see something fresh and new altogether in this case.:wink:

Just out of curiousty, would anyone like to see another "X" wants to tear down Sesame Street and it's up to "X" and the gang to stop it? I know it sounds cliche, but it could work if done well.
Well, we had a TV Special on it and a Sesame Street Live story on it, but then again People would compare it to the recent Muppet Movie in several ways given the similar plot lines of the film.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Yeah, at this point it's like what story hasn't been done on SS? The writers - or rather Joey, will have to really think outside the box on getting a good story.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, at this point it's like what story hasn't been done on SS? The writers - or rather Joey, will have to really think outside the box on getting a good story.
That's the primary concern, and I did bring that up a while ago. Of course, there are stories they can do that can take them way out of Sesame Street and on some adventure. But the question is what?

Everything's pure speculation at this point. We'll probably get a plot outline several months from now.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Either way, the movie will more than likely draw on some sort of past formula... I mean, look at the show itself, HOW many episodes have we had involving a chicken thinking Rocco is an egg? How many times has Oscar launched something from his trashcan like his own show or something, and Telly ends up being his sidekick? How many characters have suddenly taken on a reporter guise for a day to report on various similar events happening on the street? Even 2001 wasn't the first time Sesame Street was hit by a hurricane apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.