"Debby" turned out to be a drip

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------
I've been through four hurricanes personally...ummm... Elena in 1985; Kate in 1985 (it tore up trees all over our neighborhood in Tallahassee and knocked out power for days); Opal in 1995 (adopted a stray cat that day to protect her from the storm); Jeanne in 2004 right after my dad's funeral (which had been postponed for a week due to Ivan!). (Had to go look up a couple of the names. I remember the damage but not the names...) I have no fear of hurricanes; you can see them coming. As long as you have adequate shelter and supplies you're fine.

I am totally envious of the rains in FL the past few days. Frog, I love a good palmetto-pounder! I miss those... Glad you're ok, Kathy!
--------------

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd like to experience a hurricane once, see what it's like.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd like to experience a hurricane once, see what it's like.
Like I said, long as you're prepared and have a good house, they're kind of fun. Impressive to watch. Not at all to denigrate the victims of Katrina (or Andrew, or Hugo, or those poor guys in central FL who had three storms hit them in about as many weeks and wiped them off the map)...you really do have to live a little above sea level, and have a strong roof, to get through them okay. But I'll take one any day over, say, an earthquake you can't see coming, or a tornado which hits a relatively small area with the concentrated force of its winds, or a wildfire which no amount of prep will save your home from. I've walked in the eye of a hurricane once...it was really, really eerie. The air FEELS different, and everything is crystal clear, and the sky looks strangely yellowish...marvelous.
------------

Lola p

Reaction score
We had a tornado hit our farm once. Not fun....

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Like I said, long as you're prepared and have a good house, they're kind of fun. Impressive to watch
------------
Yeah, the closest I've come to seeing anything like a hurricane, again were those extreme thunderstorms we had last year, where the wind was so strong, and the rain was coming down so hard, it was horizontal and everything.
We had a tornado hit our farm once. Not fun....
We've had an unusual amount of tornadoes around these parts in the last few years (none this year that I can recall); I've never experienced one directly before, but it's actually enigmatic for me: as fascinated as I am by severe weather, especially tornadoes, at the same time, one of my deep, hidden fears is being hit by a tornado, and it's actually a recurring nightmare I have ever few months or so... I think it's one of those things that's going to continue frightening me until it actually happens, then once it does, I won't have to be afraid anymore.

Not that I WANT to be hit by a tornado, but a hurricane I wouldn't mind experiencing just once.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
New Jersey rarely has hurricanes or tornadoes on the magnitude of other parts of the country, but back around 1979 David blew through. The sky was GREEN, like I've never seen before or since, and it spawned a few tornadoes which took away our garden shed and what used to be our back porch. Luckily that was it.

But it's freaky how some parts of the country can be under six feet of water, while at the same time fires are raging out of control. If someone could find a way to take all the flood water and dump it on the brush fires, we'd all be happy.

Katzi428

Reaction score
New Jersey rarely has hurricanes or tornadoes on the magnitude of other parts of the country, but back around 1979 David blew through. The sky was GREEN, like I've never seen before or since, and it spawned a few tornadoes which took away our garden shed and what used to be our back porch. Luckily that was it.

But it's freaky how some parts of the country can be under six feet of water, while at the same time fires are raging out of control. If someone could find a way to take all the flood water and dump it on the brush fires, we'd all be happy.
I'm with you 100% on that last part, fuzzyg/Brian!

newsmanfan

Reaction score
--------------
Just don't scoop up any divers. *loved that CSI ep*

-------------