Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wow...I dont know where to begin with that. You can't seriously be lumping all disney movies in with whats on the channel. I have not seen Brave, and I probably won't, but you can't accuse it of being the same as the shows if you have yet to actually see it.
Brave is the first Pixar film directed by a woman. So it's clearly going to speak to girls anyway. I find it a LOT smarter written than any of the ordinary Disney Princess film (which are painfully formulaic, but the better ones make you forget formula), not to mention it's a change of pace of Pixar's cute talking thing that doesn't ordinarily talk learns a lesson/soap box film. Probably their first since Incredibles. I thought it was a solid effort, it does seem to be missing something, and there should have been a little more action and urgency in the film to round it out. But it wasn't Cars or Cars 2, so I give them all the credit in the world for going for artistic over merchandising. Hopefully it gets a better audience on home video than Ratatouille, which was a great film, but the gourmet food jokes clearly couldn't capture kid's attention. But I am hungry for the next installment of Monsters Inc.

And how do you define "normal?" Brave handsome dude who falls for the girl and everything ends in a kiss? Remember, they are trying to market the movie for girls. Not boys.
Without making a massive spoiler, I'm glad that film didn't end that way. It makes all those tough princesses seem hypocritical.

But what gets me is the fact that she isn't girly girl and doesn't want to get a politically motivated arranged marriage, some dumbfarts are calling the main character a lesbian.

Facepalm.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I would like to see it, but I probably won't be able to go to the movies this summer...

jvcarroll

Reaction score
But what gets me is the fact that she isn't girly girl and doesn't want to get a politically motivated arranged marriage, some dumbfarts are calling the main character a lesbian.

Facepalm.
Oh, I read an article on that subject that came to the conclusion that they took any and all perception of preference from Merida and that appears to be completely true. They wanted the film to be about her independence and her family and nothing more. She could very well have been a lesbian. She could just as easily not been ready for marriage. None of her suitors were much to consider. The fact is, there's no evidence of anything on the subject. It was completely omitted! Ha! I'm not a big fan of the movie, but I'm a huge fan of that!

Hayley B

Reaction score
As I was watching Tangled earlier. I don't think Flynn Rider/Eugene wasn't that dumb. Maybe just 2 stupid questions out of his mouth. But he did smart things.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
As I was watching Tangled earlier. I don't think Flynn Rider/Eugene wasn't that dumb. Maybe just 2 stupid questions out of his mouth. But he did smart things.
Tangled wasn't like Brave. It wasn't like that at all. I think they were aiming for the whole family to enjoy it. With Brave they are aiming (no pun intented) to girls ages 8-11.

Hubert

Reaction score
I have yet to see Brave, but someone tell me something here without giving away too much about it: is it an "typical princess movie" about some high-muckety-muck, spoiled princess who falls in love with a handsome prince, or is it something more, like that this princess is against the traditional princess lifestyle?

I keep hearing mixed things about it...half of the reviews seem to think that this is a lot like a Cinderella type ordeal, and then the other half are saying that this is a princess-in-protest...

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I have yet to see Brave, but someone tell me something here without giving away too much about it: is it an "typical princess movie" about some high-muckety-muck, spoiled princess who falls in love with a handsome prince, or is it something more, like that this princess is against the traditional princess lifestyle?

I keep hearing mixed things about it...half of the reviews seem to think that this is a lot like a Cinderella type ordeal, and then the other half are saying that this is a princess-in-protest...
In a nutshell, Brave is about Merida finding her place in life, her family and her kingdom. It's not a typical princess story. She has no romantic interest whatsoever. Brave is about a mother and her daughter in kind of the same way that Finding Nemo is about a father and a son. I'll stop there because some people see the film's basic plot as a spoiler.

In all honesty, the film's a mess. A very beautiful, well intentioned mess that's worth seeing. Just go in with no real expectations and have fun. It's a gorgeous picture.

Hubert

Reaction score
In a nutshell, Brave is about Merida finding her place in life, her family and her kingdom. It's not a typical princess story. She has no romantic interest whatsoever. Brave is about a mother and her daughter in kind of the same way that Finding Nemo is about a father and a son. I'll stop there because some people see the film's basic plot as a spoiler.

In all honesty, the film's a mess. A very beautiful, well intentioned mess that's worth seeing. Just go in with no real expectations and have fun. It's a gorgeous picture.
Yeah...that was the message I was originally getting...it definitely sounds worth seeing, especially as I'm a huge Pixar fan. Now to figure out how I should see it...go see it in theaters now, wait until it comes to my cheap movie theater, or rent it from the video store when it comes out on video...

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Yeah...that was the message I was originally getting...it definitely sounds worth seeing, especially as I'm a huge Pixar fan. Now to figure out how I should see it...go see it in theaters now, wait until it comes to my cheap movie theater, or rent it from the video store when it comes out on video...
I suggest you use the Eeenie-Meenie-Miney-Mo theory, It usually works best.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh, I read an article on that subject that came to the conclusion that they took any and all perception of preference from Merida and that appears to be completely true. They wanted the film to be about her independence and her family and nothing more. She could very well have been a lesbian. She could just as easily not been ready for marriage. None of her suitors were much to consider. The fact is, there's no evidence of anything on the subject. It was completely omitted! Ha! I'm not a big fan of the movie, but I'm a huge fan of that!
My sister saw the film and found actual evidence that she in deed isn't. Apparently, she checks out the really buff, giant guy that she thought was the third guy's son (before it was revealed to be Napoleon Dynamite).

It's probably a goofy concept of her being a lesbian, but you know those mutants that belong to "family" organizations will find something sinister with it.

Still, the dumbest criticism is that there are legitimate complaints that there's a lack of ethnicity in the movie.

A lack of ethnicity...

in Scotland....

to quote Uncle Herb from The Simpsons "In other words, where white met bread!"

Bigger facepalm.

Of course, there's legitimate criticism that style of dress was entirely inaccurate. But then again, we all grew up thinking Vikings wore horns on their helmets and Ninjas wore black leotards, and that wasn't true.