The Beauregard Thread--For Everybody Who Didn't Get A Joke

Fraggline

Reaction score
One joke that I sort of get but its really confusing. In the Teresa Brewer episode, during the sketch with Teresa and Sweetums, Waldorf comments "it's the old monster-and-swing bit again", or something like that, commenting that they tried to sneak it past them again. An awkward joke, since that's the only bit on the show involving a monster and a swing. I guess that's the joke, that they're doing an old routine we hadn't seen (who's to say they can't do sketches that we, the real audience, don't see?), but it still comes off as awkward.
I saw the joke as a bit of irony. I mean, you're right; when has anybody else ever done a "monster-and-swing bit"? Perhaps a sketch with a man and a woman on a swing, but certainly not a monster! It's sort of making fun of the fact that the show always has unusual acts.
Here's the same sort of joke, only a little less subtle (and hopefully less awkward):
:sleep:: "There they go again. The same old 'pizza-eating gorilla in high-heels tries to make organic orange juice' bit. Why don't they ever do anything out-of-the-ordinary on this show?!?"

But yeah, I guess it's awkward any way you slice it.

Fraggline

Reaction score
By the way, I just want to apologize to everyone for giving this thread such a dumb title. Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking when I named it the "Beauregard" thread. I never meant to say that those who don't understand a joke are not intelligent--but somebody who gives their thread this title might be.

Hubert

Reaction score
By the way, I just want to apologize to everyone for giving this thread such a dumb title. Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking when I named it the "Beauregard" thread. I never meant to say that those who don't understand a joke are not intelligent--but somebody who gives their thread this title might be.
Pfft...I think it's a terrific title, it's very Beauregard-like to not understand a joke...and plus the title made for a lot of fun comments...

David French

Reaction score
Can someone please explain this joke to me? (From The Muppets)
What's the bear capital of the world?
MOSCOW!!
Fozzie got it wrong. He used a cow pun for a bear joke.
No he didn't; he's referring to the fact that the brown bear is considered to be a symbol of Russia in the western world.

Borples

Reaction score
No he didn't; he's referring to the fact that the brown bear is considered to be a symbol of Russia in the western world.
I thought it must be something like that. It's still not much of a joke...but I guess that's the point. What I want to know is, is there anything insulting about the bear/Russian thing? Because the little headshake that Kermit gave Fozzie didn't look like a "That's a terrible joke!" headshake. It looked like a "Cease! Desist! You can't say that! AND it's a terrible joke!" headshake.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
`Jack not name, Jack job.`
Can someone explain this joke to me please?