Henson issues statement about Chick-Fila-A

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Jesus, on the other hand, hangs out with 12 men
Men and women weren't exactly friends in ancient times, lol.

Where else does Jesus show any kind of loving respect for women?
When he talked to that woman at the well as a practical equal and his male followers were stunned. That was a big deal back then.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
(cue to 4:50 into the clip)​
The Muppets & Garth Brooks share a poignant song about tolerance together in 1996. And it has chickens! Seems appropriate.​
“When we're free to love anyone we choose, when this world's big enough for all different views, when we all can worship from our own kind of pew, then we then we shall be free.”​

dwmckim

Reaction score
You know what my favorite moment of that number (the entire episode for that matter) always was? (Aside from Rowlf's first signs of recovery from the cat who got his tongue, of course?) The Muppet cast's emphatic murmers of agreement after Garth sings "When we're free to love anyone we choose". Those pair of "mmm"'s were even more precious than the "Oh yeah" and the "heh heh" combined.

In fact i love it so much that if i started a band tomorrow, i'd call it "Pair of MMMM's"

Drtooth

Reaction score
Agreed. Marriage has existed in many cultures, long before the Bible was written and it still exists in cultures that know little or nothing about that book. There's a lot strange things in the Biblical definition of marriage that don't fit with modern culture or that of the modern Christian. People also forget that marriage for love is a very new concept. It's only recently perceived as the norm.
Even the "marriage is sacred" stuff is baloney. There are people get married for all the wrong reasons and divorce at the drop of a hat. Celebrity marriages, I don't even have to finish this sentence. People who can't even stand each other have more rights than 2 dudes that genuinely love each other. Slippery slope NOTHING. Stupid thing was already ruined by straight people. :big_grin:

What ever happened to boycotting the Teletubbies for being flat out creepy? Eeek! Are they still on?
Thankfully no. The worst part is, if everyone shut their yaps about Tinky Winky, the show would have disappeared with relatively no fan fare. Then everyone enjoyed it ironically. And somehow, I DO believe the Brits that made that stupid thing totally had goofy subversive gay stereotypes in mind for the character. Just something for the adults to laugh at that the little kids wouldn't bother to get. Just goes to show you how poor that series was if that constituted as the adult humor shout out.

Though I still wonder how the crap did French Cartoon Character Candy H. Caramella from Space Goofs got under the radar?

The character is ALWAYS wearing a dress, when he turns into a human, he's the woman 90% of the time. And the most darning of all, the first episode he even has the line "OOOH! Look at the size of this closet. it's so big that I could live in it for ever and never have to come out!"

How did that...? Oh. Yeah.. I'm the only one that watched Space Goofs.
The Lion King thing is just crazy. Does that go for his Muppet Show too? That's like one of the best ones ever!
The funny thing is, as much as I could complain about denying kids The Lion King, I think that completely suits that sect of gay hating Stepford Christians. Maybe they'll shut themselves completely out of society and we won't have to deal with them anymore.

If nothing else, it shows exactly how out of touch they are with even Conservative Christianity and how dangerously close they are to a cult.

Slackbot

Reaction score
We Are Not Arguing Over Chicken: The Huffington Post ran an article that makes the same point I was trying to make a few pages back, about the human cost of the everyday cruelty to gays that most people don't think about, but did it much more articulate-like. Well worth reading.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The Huffington Post is a little too obviously bias as far as journalism goes, but I appreciate the message the article is trying to send.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
We Are Not Arguing Over Chicken: The Huffington Post ran an article that makes the same point I was trying to make a few pages back, about the human cost of the everyday cruelty to gays that most people don't think about, but did it much more articulate-like. Well worth reading.
Fantastic article. I read it last night and it really gets right to the issue. We all can get sucked into the anonymity of Internet communication without it really registering that we are talking to real people.

There's one thing that article didn't mention that is directly related to Chick-Fil-A's murky money shuffling. Some of their millions went to Exodus International - an American-led Christian organization that recently championed Uganda's legitimation also known as the "Kill the Gays" bill. This is exactly what it sounds like. It's legalized genocide for the Uganda's gay population. Exodus claimed they didn't know about the execution portion. I guess they just thought the bill supported life imprisonment. Exodus did issue an apology yet they took no responsibility and did nothing to remedy the situation. This is one of the reasons people use the word "hate" when describing the anti-gay movement. There is footage available featuring some of their indoctrination events that are so gross, misleading and inflammatory that none of the information can be posted here. Exodus isn't some small fringe organization. They are a very popular and highly regarded organization among Christian conservatives. These people aren't really spreading anything even closely resembling the Jesus I learned about.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
A lot of those nations are still hundred and hundreds of years behind, I hear in some of those middle eastern countries, not only do citizens face execution for being homosexual, women are still denied many basic human rights that women in America fought for centuries to obtain.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's one thing that article didn't mention that is directly related to Chick-Fil-A's murky money shuffling. Some of their millions went to Exodus International - an American-led Christian organization that recently championed Uganda's legitimation also known as the "Kill the Gays" bill. This is exactly what it sounds like. It's legalized genocide for the Uganda's gay population. Exodus claimed they didn't know about the execution portion. I guess they just thought the bill supported life imprisonment. Exodus did issue an apology yet they took no responsibility and did nothing to remedy the situation. This is one of the reasons people use the word "hate" when describing the anti-gay movement. There is footage available featuring some of their indoctrination events that are so gross, misleading and inflammatory that none of the information can be posted here. Exodus isn't some small fringe organization. They are a very popular and highly regarded organization among Christian conservatives. These people aren't really spreading anything even closely resembling the Jesus I learned about.
It's funny Snowth brought up the Middle East. We have all these Christian far conservatives whining about Sharia Law, and yet they want to impose their OWN version of Sharia Law. I'm sure they have a cuter, more marketable name for it, though.

And the scary thing is, the conversation is STILL only about what the Chick CEO said and not what he DID. And it's all about only HE has the right to say what he said and anyone who disagrees with him is some evil secularist. It's not so much that he says batcrap crazy Psuedo-religious nonsense, it's that he spends a fortune of his money making sure that batcrap crazy Pseudo-religious nonsense he believes becomes law.

But I learned something in all of this. Apparently, you can say something hateful and ridiculous and be a bigger victim than the people who are victimized by it just by the fact that someone doesn't want to do business with you. Poor Baby! Henson and every mayor that doesn't want one of those places in their state have absolutely no right to encroach on the same rights you're denying them.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
It's funny Snowth brought up the Middle East. We have all these Christian far conservatives whining about Sharia Law, and yet they want to impose their OWN version of Sharia Law. I'm sure they have a cuter, more marketable name for it, though.

And the scary thing is, the conversation is STILL only about what the Chick CEO said and not what he DID. And it's all about only HE has the right to say what he said and anyone who disagrees with him is some evil secularist. It's not so much that he says batcrap crazy Psuedo-religious nonsense, it's that he spends a fortune of his money making sure that batcrap crazy Pseudo-religious nonsense he believes becomes law.

But I learned something in all of this. Apparently, you can say something hateful and ridiculous and be a bigger victim than the people who are victimized by it just by the fact that someone doesn't want to do business with you. Poor Baby! Henson and every mayor that doesn't want one of those places in their state have absolutely no right to encroach on the same rights you're denying them.
Exactly.

There would have been an outcry if Southern Baptist Dan Cathy had made judgments or insensitive remarks about Catholics.

It's that statement in bold that so many Christian people seem to be missing. This isn't even a gay vs Christian argument. Henson would have had to take a stand, cut ties and donate the money to a Catholic charity to counteract the controversy. They had no idea that the President of the company was going to make such public and divisive remarks when they agreed to partner together. They exercised free speech, but did so in a way that compromised others connected to them. It was simply unprofessional. Compare that to JHC who made a simple and non judgmental statement and have stood by it without another peep. Henson is definitely in the right here.