Henson issues statement about Chick-Fila-A

Drtooth

Reaction score
HarperCollins has now made their own statement.​
Nobody is attacking Traditional Marriage.​
The only attacks made have been against equality and fewer people and companies can stomach that anymore. They seem to have lifted some language from the Henson press statement. Ha!​
And here's the kicker...

The Berenstain Bears have actual Christian values books now.

Slackbot

Reaction score
According to this article, the statement on the Berenstain Bears site was removed on Tuesday. It's present on the site now. Hmm.

It'd be cool if one of the books CFA is distributing taught the Christian values of "Judge not lest ye be judged" and "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Drtooth

Reaction score
It'd be cool if one of the books CFA is distributing taught the Christian values of "Judge not lest ye be judged" and "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
(Spit take!) THOSE exist?!?

Oh wait. They do. I forgot, because they're major teachings instead of some lame poorly translated footnote.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The Berenstain Bears have actual Christian values books now.
Yeah, I've been seeing those down the book/magazine aisle at these really big, Satanic warehouse-esque grocery stores that seem to keep popping up everywhere.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Here's an interesting article from a Christian-based mind that I actually kind of sort of support.

Apparently the FRC only got a pittance compared to some of the other inflammatory groups like Focus on the Family, Exodus and others. Money was still given and their slanderous statements likening gays to sex offenders, pedophiles and terrorists are quoted. I disagree with the notion that this is entirely a CFA issue and not a Cathy one when it was his statements representing the chain that began the discourse in the first place.

For the record:
I completely support freedom of speech; however it is unwise for any business to promote the subjugation of another group’s rights and beliefs. It forces their employees and business partners to pick a side in a debate that they want no part of and it encourages the opposition to use their freedoms to push back.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's one thing that's always bothered me about gay stereotypes is when it always involves sex offenders and pedophiles... heck, I was bothered by a really heavy topic about homosexuality quite a long time ago where a friend of mine actually said, "Gay people are gay because they were molested as children"... that is an absolutely ridiculous stereotype that I don't even see any proof of evidence of that even remotely supports it... I happen to know someone who had the misfortunate of being sexually assaulted when she was just a tot, and that person today is straight as an arrow, so I really don't know where people even get the idea that molestation, rape, sexual assault, etc leads to homosexuality, but I think it's a really stupid idea.

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
Okay, here comes a long post...

While I'm still really on the fence about this, I will say that you're wrong if you think this is just an issue that a small fringe agrees with and that most Christians disagree with. I mean, just look at the photos from yesterday. Did anybody see this coming??? My dad and I went at about 8:30 and it took us 45 minutes to get through the drive-thru and the line of people eating in stretched outside the building. Seriously. It was crazy so I just wanted to point that out. And really, I don't think those people should be called bigots or homophobes. They only supported a biblical value that Chick-Fil-A stated.

Can I request something? I would to see evidence of financial records that the money is going to the organizations you've stated. Because if this has been going on for a while, why has it suddenly turned into an issue now? Because I have yet to see any actual evidence.

And here's what really gets me. The fact that this is the issue. Seriously, there is a problem when Christians care more about supporting Chick Fil A and being against homosexuality than, oh say, helping the homeless and the needy. The question WWJD? is asked a lot. But, while other Christians think he'd be hanging out CFA giving out high fives, I don't believe that at all. He'd probably be down in the slums where homeless people are. He'd be feeding them, healing them, and loving them. And Christians are supposed to be like Jesus Christ. But, no, we're more concerned with buying a #5 with a lemonade at CFA. We're more concerned with spending almost $7 to support a company that is against gay marriage. And we don't even give a dime to people who actually need it! Frankly, this ticks me off.

Christians are known more for what we're against then what we're for. We're against abortion, we're against homosexuality, we're against lying. We should be known for more for what we support, which are the same things Jesus supported, like love, grace, mercy, forgiveness, compassion. People don't see Jesus in Christianity today, they just see Christians.

I'll end with this: “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’- Matthew 25:45.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
And here's what really gets me. The fact that this is the issue. Seriously, there is a problem when Christians care more about supporting Chick Fil A and being against homosexuality than, oh say, helping the homeless and the needy. The question WWJD? is asked a lot. But, while other Christians think he'd be hanging out CFA giving out high fives, I don't believe that at all. He'd probably be down in the slums where homeless people are. He'd be feeding them, healing them, and loving them. And Christians are supposed to be like Jesus Christ. But, no, we're more concerned with buying a #5 with a lemonade at CFA. We're more concerned with spending almost $7 to support a company that is against gay marriage. And we don't even give a dime to people who actually need it! Frankly, this ticks me off.

Christians are known more for what we're against then what we're for. We're against abortion, we're against homosexuality, we're against lying. We should be known for more for what we support, which are the same things Jesus supported, like love, grace, mercy, forgiveness, compassion. People don't see Jesus in Christianity today, they just see Christians.

I'll end with this: “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not dofor one oftheleastofthese, you did not dofor me.’- Matthew 25:45.
Thank you for posting this. I may disagree with your stance on same-sex marriage and homosexuality, but I definitely agree with you on the point of devoting time and money to those that need it more is more important. I wish more people, regardless of faith or non-faith, took that sort of attitude that you show here.

I am not a religious person, but I would think that you speak for a lot of Christians when you discuss how they are perceived. I guess some people are more concerned with "social issues" than genuine help.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I really don't know where people even get the idea that molestation, rape, sexual assault, etc leads to homosexuality, but I think it's a really stupid idea.
I believe it comes from the assumption that homosexuality is a disorder, and that something terrible must have happened to turn "those people" into such deviants. It doesn't stand up to close examination.