Frank Oz: "New Muppets Too Cute"

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay... to be fair... Lucas took credit for everything he said he created. But it was the brilliant other people that made the first 3 movies what they were. The prequels were all his. And by that time he was a perfectionist surrounded by Yesmen.

But creators can screw up ideas just as well as third party and producing types. Usually because most things we credit as created by one person is the work of many. And then again, there are those, like George, that fall into comfort zones and make what they think they like.

Misskermie

Reaction score
About Frank's interview, I think he's right. Muppets never strived for cuteness, they strived more for hilarity. And... You know... Sometime romance.

(That's the first time I ever heard Franks normal voice. Squeee!)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Y'know, I find it odd that some are suggesting that some Muppet Freaks dislike MCC and MTI because they played other characters in a retelling of an already-existing story, because the Muppets have been doing that long before these movies came along... Muppet Musicians of Bremen anyone? Even Emmet Otter existed before Jim did the special.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Y'know, I find it odd that some are suggesting that some Muppet Freaks dislike MCC and MTI because they played other characters in a retelling of an already-existing story, because the Muppets have been doing that long before these movies came along... Muppet Musicians of Bremen anyone? Even Emmet Otter existed before Jim did the special.
The examples you provided are stories where characters weren't played by already established characters, save for Kermit as narrator. I think people have a problem with MCC and MTI because the characters are shoehorned into parts and have to act AS those characters rather than themselves.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
My thoughts on Frank's frank thoughts on "The Muppets"

:fanatic: Was "The Muppets" movie too cute?
Yes! And so was the Muppet Babies segment of the Frank Oz directed MTM.Walter absorbed a lot of the cuteness, but it really was more earnest than cute and I loved it!

:embarrassed: Did the movie go back more than forward?
Yes! But it's presumptuous to believe that the Muppets could just pick up where they left off and add new fans. This reintroduction was necessary.

:attitude: Was the movie too retro?
Yes! And it was weird that they mostly represented the 80's. I think that represented Segel's personal nostalgic connection more than the Muppets' place in time, but it didn't bother me. It's best they knock most of that off for the next film.

:halo: Did most of the characters lack a little depth?
Yes! The players and dynamics have changed. The characters, especially those with new performers, will redevelop over time and in new ways based on their roots. That's better than merely parroting what came before. All of these recent performances offer opportunities for the Muppeteers to play and grow in new ways without several-year-long intermissions! Incidentally, Kermit & Piggy's relationship had a lot of depth, but maybe Oz felt they played it too straight. I thought it was touching.

:mad: Did Frank hate the movie?
No! It's clear that he gave it a shot and wasn't particularly thrilled, but he seemed to have a bit of a twinkle in his eye. That's more than a lot of people in his position would do. It seems that he wants to be allowed some creative control. I'm not sure if his is the right direction right now, but I wish Disney would bring him on as a creative consultant. That show of respect would mean much to a lot of people and it could only help things all-around.

MuppetGuy75

Reaction score
I saw this video yesterday and wasnt going to say anything about it. But of course it was on my mind all day and now I've got to say something! LOL I love Frank Oz and all the work he has done with The Muppets, Star Wars, his hilarious films, etc.... but I don't understand why he always says such crazy things like that. This is not the first time he's said something negative about a newer Muppet project. I personally feel that Jim would have enjoyed the new movie. To me it had alot of heart and nostalgia that fans connected with. It made me tear up more than once because The Muppets are like old friends to me. I grew up with them and they have supplied happiness for me when I needed it the most. For him to say that the Muppets aren't suppost to be cute is almost a contradiction! I mean he did perform Baby Fozzie in the Muppet Babies scene in TMTM. You can't get any cuter than that!! It's almost like he's bitter or something? I know he's moved on and that's fine but if he wants to take part in Muppet projects and give his opinion then... great! If not, then he should just give the Muppets his blessings and not say anything else. It makes me sad that he's like that. :embarrassed:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can't believe I forgot this scene. Especially since it was one of my favorites.

Can someone tell me how does torturing a tied up Jack Black with sharp instruments and axes for entertainment, singing Smells like Teen Spirit drowned out by his screams "cute?" That was some pretty edgy, violent, yet Muppety humor right there.

:fanatic: Was "The Muppets" movie too cute?
Yes! And so was the Muppet Babies segment of the Frank Oz directed MTM.Walter absorbed a lot of the cuteness, but it really was more earnest than cute and I loved it!
Frank had best stay away from LTS. If he thought The Muppets was too cute, LTS will give him diabetus (The Wilfred Brimley pronunciation).

But then again... if we're talking about edginess lost...

BAM!

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I kinda agree with him. One of the things I always liked about the Muppet movies was they seemed more serious with some silly stuff mixed in. I always kid that one element of good Muppet films is that someone ends in mortal peril by the end.
Don't get me wrong, I loved the new movie for the most part. But I can see his point of view on it.
Also, don't get me wrong but I would say he knows the characters of the Muppets better than any of us seeing as how he worked with them and had to take on the characters.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
On a similar note, Frank has said sometime back that he feels even SST isn't as hip or sharp anymore, but I think we can all thank the 90s and the competition from other shows like Barney for that.