Classic Muppets vs Current Muppets

Duke Remington

Reaction score
MCC and MTI were too safe, actually. Almost that they were afraid to try anything one direction or another, and they were too afraid to utilize Kermit. While I think he was perfectly cast in MCC, his appearance in MTI was off until Piggy entered the film. And his all smiles lobotomized performance in MFS was depressing (even though Gonzo and Rizzo were still pitch perfect). I will say MTI had the spirit of wackiness and Muppetness in them, but ironically in all the new characters.

The thing is, every project gets one aspect right, and one aspect wrong. MT did have Muppet spirit, but in the wrong places until season 2. Just before it was canceled.

VMX got the wackiness right, but missed the sweetness. LTS got the sweetness right, but lost a lot of wackiness. Between the two of them, they got it sort of right. MOz was an eyesore.

The new film is as close to the originals as we've seen since. It's missing an intangible element, I agree... but that's an X factor that went with Jim. Same thing that leaves EVERY project when someone's missing. Only other thing to get it almost dead on right was the Roger Langridge comics. He's proven to have a chameleon writing style that he disappears into, his Popeye comics especially (getting back to the meat of the characters from Thimble Theater).

Something's always going to be missing. As long as it's not a complete disaster that doesn't try, I'll applaud an effort.
I fully agree.

I also think that the new film was actually age well, just like the older Muppet films. MWoZ, on the other hand, is not aging well and probably won't.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I remember someone said that Muppets Tonight, MTI and MCC were different in terms of being too modern or something like that. I was just curious if there were examples of that, because I personally didn't notice anything in differ of that. And like I mentioned it's probably because the 90s were my generation. lol

I know that Clifford's image changed and that was one thing I personally disliked. But everything else seemed very close to The Muppet humor style and even making things more edgier. Shall I say Spamula Hamerson? Humada Humada. lol
I still remember the first Pigswatch skit.

By the way, anyone notice that Miss Poggy from The new Muppet movie is actually the recycled Pig from The 'New Generation Pigs in Space sketches from Muppets Tonight. I think Dave Golez performed him.
Just a quick comment about the new Muppet Movie, I'm so happy that Miss Poggy was David Rudman. (I'm a nervious asking this but how do you pernounce his last name? Is it pernounced Rude-Man or Rod-Man?)

And of course the next generation of Pigs in Space I found kind of weird because Steve Whitmire took over Link and Jerry still worked on the show so I'm not sure why they couldn't bring Link and Hogthrob again. The next generation characters were good for being dummy like characters but I felt Link had more character. He's this show off macho man but still cries for his mommy and sucks his thumb. lol I always crack up when Link just becomes a complete coward like that. lol
I remember a classic line from The Muppet Show where Link was drawing a map and First Mate Piggy says "Link, what's that in the corner" and Link response was "Oh that there? Oh that's a ducky." lol

I remember hearing fans before talk about how there were more new characters than old characters on Muppets Tonight probably since Frank Oz only did a few episodes and Jerry Nelson mainly did new characters on the show. Though there was lots of characters I liked from the show like Bill the Bubble Guy, Mr. Noodlepants, Andy and Randy are probably my favorite from the show "THIS JOB'S TOO HARD", Johnny Fiama and Sal Manilla, and who could forget Dr. Phil Van Nutter (especially his drunk eggnog christmas party. lol) and the return of Mulch who originally came from the Debbie Harry episode of The Muppet Show. It's amazing that puppet didn't wear out after about 16 years. lol

And also mentioning MTI and MCC, that was written by Jerry Juhl so I'm a little surprised there were some people here that didn't care for those films. They are classics to me. But you know, everyone has the right to their opinion. Not every Muppet fan is the same. And I totally respect everyones views. :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
but I think I would have missed a lot of quality Muppet productions, moments and characters if I had simply given up on them after Jim and Richard died.
To be fair I don't think those fans arbitrarily just gave up. They did try and watch the '90s projects but just didn't connect with them.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
By the way, what did everyone think of The Jim Henson Hour and Muppet Television? I thought it was missing something but first seasons can be like that. Unfortunately there was only 12 episodes and not all of them aired in the US right? I personally liked The Jim Henson Hour. Though I probably would have preferred The Storyteller to be buy it's self instead of re-runing on the show's second half. The TV movies were great. Monster Maker, Dog City. I don't think I ever sat down and watched Lighthouse Island. That was Jerry Juhl's movie right? What was that movie about? Something with magic or something like that?
"I always thought MuppetTelevision was decades before it's time and probably would have worked better around this time where we got laptops, internet, cell phones that do almost anything, blue-tooth, just how modern society today is so technology home based.

Monstermaster

Reaction score
My friend was the one who introduced me to the Jim Henson era of Muppets, and I've started it watching the show since.

I think the current era of Muppets is okay but I have really started to like the Jim Henson era.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
By the way, what did everyone think of The Jim Henson Hour and Muppet Television? I thought it was missing something but first seasons can be like that. Unfortunately there was only 12 episodes and not all of them aired in the US right? I personally liked The Jim Henson Hour. Though I probably would have preferred The Storyteller to be buy it's self instead of re-runing on the show's second half. The TV movies were great. Monster Maker, Dog City. I don't think I ever sat down and watched Lighthouse Island. That was Jerry Juhl's movie right? What was that movie about? Something with magic or something like that?
I agree, JHH was a really good show. However, having the Storyteller in the second half of the show was an example of how Jim wanted to create another "Wonderful World of Disney". He wanted a sort of show where anything could happen. In fact, his original concept for JHH had the show split up into four weeks. The first week would feature the Storyteller. The second week would feature a new Muppet show called "Lead Free TV". The concept for "Lead Free TV" is what eventually became MuppeTelevision. Interestingly, the original pilot, "Intertube" didn't feature any classic characters (although Kermit and Piggy both have very short cameos), and only one of the characters in the pilot actually wound up on JHH (Digit). The third week would have been a picture-book series (a special along the line of "Tale of a Bunny Picnic", "The Christmas Toy", "Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas", etc.). The last week would have consisted of a show where "anything could happen". As for "Lighthouse Island":
http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Lighthouse_Island

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
By the way, what did everyone think of The Jim Henson Hour and Muppet Television?
It had its hits and its misses. Some of the TV movies and the Storyteller series were amazing. I liked some of the individual episodes like the environmental message in the Ted Danson episode. And of course the behind the scenes stuff in Secrets of the Muppets. But overall I'm not really compelled to watch most of the Muppet segments. Like I'll watch them once and moderately enjoy them, but probably not go back again. But overall you can't deny the ambitious nature of the show. :smile:

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I watched The Secrets of The Muppets myself last night on my ipod before I went to sleep. I think it was that episode that got me inspired to become a puppeteer. As soon as they zoomed out the camera. I was thinking "So that's how Muppets work" and just being so amazed with the rods and the whole performing process. :smile:

But yeah I agree, the show did have it's hits and misses. To me it wasn't as energetic as The Muppet Show and as slapsticky and irreverent or even Muppets Tonight 7 years later, but it did have some great sketches. Beanbo, now cute has learned to kill. lol Jock (how do you spell this in the French way? lol) Jock Roach and The Swedish Chef. Jock Roach later worked on The Animal Show right? Then finally got ninja starfish thrown at him by Gonzo in Muppet Treasure Island. lol I loved The Extremes. lol I loved the K.D. Lang episode, she was great and also the ending with all the trash being thrown into the ocean while singing "On the Road again". lol What a great satirical ending. lol "Coming soon to a beach near you." lol