Boiling "Punky Muppet" fur

Slackbot

Reaction score
I'm building my first puppet in decades. It's gonna be a Fraggle, and I want him to have more or less authentic fur. "Punky Muppet" seems to be recommended, and they have the color I want (which is not common) but I haven't found any info on how it reacts to boiling. Has anyone here worked with the fabric, and if so can you offer this noob tips or countersuggestions?

davidmartiste

Reaction score
I have treated Punky Muppet and it works just fine. I actually soaked it in scalding hot water because I didn't want to wait for a full boil. Still, it's obvious the fur would take to boiling water as well. Though I haven't ordered from Distinctive Fabric, they have some interesting looking long-pile furs as well. http://www.distinctivefabric.com/category.php?cat=LONGFUR

Good luck Slackbot!

Slackbot

Reaction score
Cool, I guess that's the way to go then. Thanks. Another newb question: should I boil it before cutting it out or after? I have no idea if fur shrinks or otherwise distorts or not.

davidmartiste

Reaction score
People generally treat the fur before making the cuts. I did as well due to the questionable shrinkage issue. The Punky Muppet has a pretty sturdy backing anyway where I didn't notice any shrinking. It's nice to have the scrap fur with the same treatment 'just in case'. If your pattern requires a yard of fabric though, don't worry about treating 3 yards worth.

JacobsBest

Reaction score
I am definitely going with Punky Muppet for an upcoming project, but I can not find a clear method of boiling it. How long? Water to fabric ratio? Stir? Carrots, celery or onions?

Slackbot

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I've placed an order for fur, and while I've been waiting I've been sewing the non-furry parts. I've been using cheap fleece rather than Antron, and now I see what the difference is--I can camouflage the seams, but you can still see where they are by the rumple. Ah well, for a first puppet it's still coming along very nicely! Hopefully the fur will look more professional than the fleece.

davidmartiste

Reaction score
I am definitely going with Punky Muppet for an upcoming project, but I can not find a clear method of boiling it. How long? Water to fabric ratio? Stir? Carrots, celery or onions?
Hmmmm - though the carrots may aid in any additional coloring you may wish to accomplish, I'd avoid the onions unless the desired effect is for a smelly creature. :smile:

In this recent thread over at Puppets and Stuff it's recommended to leave the fur submerged for maybe a minute or two in the boiling water and then 'wring it out' and leave it to dry. I might add, have some tongs on hand to remove the fur and use some gloves when wringing out. Avoid getting burned, please. There is no real science on water to fabric ratio. I like to make sure it's well covered and wet. Leaving it out to dry is the key. If you try to spin or machine dry, you will get a nice uniform or fluffy fur back which is not what you want. They also discuss matting the fur yourself after it's boiled. You can do this when it's wet by pushing and waving your hand in places to make sure the fur isn't going to lay in one direction or the other. 'Scruffing' the fur so-to-speak.

@Slackbot - I have the Antron issue as well which you can solve by purchasing a set of small metal brushes [toothbrush size]. I found mine at the dollar store. I rough up the area and surrounding area and it can blend it in nicely. This is the lazy man's seam-picking. Hope it helps and good luck!

Slackbot

Reaction score
Thanks once again for the advice! I just got a box o' fur today, and am itching to boil it, but I'm also wiped out from a nasty day at work and will save this task for when I can focus. In the meantime, I'm sewing split ostrich feathers to my puppet's head. (I have no idea what the proper way to attach feather hair is, so I'm going with what, so far, looks pretty good.) I'm working from the back forward, and I've done a little tuft right behind the eyes, so right now it looks like my Fraggle has a classic case of male pattern baldness. Heh.

I never thought of using a brush on the seams. Picking the seams isn't a problem for me, but I'll buy a firm toothbrush and see of the results are any better. Although I finally finished sewing the "skin", even making legs when I'd originally planned to end him in a sleeve. What the heck, I want him to "walkaround" at a con, and legs are more photogenic than a chopped-off bod.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I boiled the Punky Muppet fur last night, and WOW! From smooth and silky to rumpled and wooly in a minute! It looks lovely and Fragglish. While it was wet I rumpled it further to make it look shaggier.

Have you ever dyed Punky Muppet fur? I'm looking for a dull blue-green, and they don't have fur that's a suitable color. If it will take dye, I'll do that.

davidmartiste

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with dyeing the Punky Muppet. You may want to ask Mendels. I'm sure others would want to know too so, be sure to post the answer to that one.