A Little Thing Called Fate

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
"Fozzie's In Love" was not my fanfic. It was miss kermie's fanfic. However, as I had been telling her earlier, that dialogue happened to have the same main idea, even though I thought it up before she posted that part. Weird.
Speaking of miss kermie, I said to my mom "It's not eay being me." and she said "Kermie" and we laughed. There are times where we feel like saying Muppet-related stuff. My mom just makes my day. Seriously!

Hubert

Reaction score
Chapter Two
“Janice?”​
“Like, fer sure!”​
“Animal?”​
“PRESENT! PRESENT!”​
“Rowlf?” Scooter pronounced it so that it rhymed with “golf.”​
Pepe eyed the golf clubs latched on to the old bus ceiling, amongst the array of ping-pong balls, and boomerang fish. “Is here, h’okay!”​
Scooter turned to Kermit, clipboard still in hand. “We’re all here, boss.”​
“Oh, good. Dr. Teeth, we’re ready!”​
Dr. Teeth booted up the bus with some resistance on its end. As usual, the defending champion won again. The bus rolled down the concrete, off to its destination.​
Rowlf ran out of the apartment.​
No bus.​
He ran around the corner to the usual luggage packing location.​
No bus.​
He ran down the street.​
No bus.​
He missed it.​
The hound walked back to the Muppet Boarding House and sat down in the living room. This was going to be a boring week.​
Prcch! Prcch!​
Could it?​
Prcch! Prcch!​
Is there any chance?​
Prcch! Prcch!​
Beauregard emerged from the room, a long, wooden stick in hand. “Hi Rowlf! What happened to everyone?”​
“South. Hurricane season,” Rowlf said, all gleams of hope now dimmed.​
“Oh! Well, I’m going to clean out the dumpsters. See ya, Rowlf!”​
If Rowlf knew Animal, it was going to take Beau quite some time. Rowlf walked down the sidewalk, headed to Terry’s Diner for an Angus beef burger.​
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
“Here’s one!”​
Two men headed toward a black SUV. One, wearing a cowboy-like hat, pointed at the keys, still in the car, as the other, wearing a Baltimore Orioles cap, broke down the driver’s window. A quick lean into the car was enough to retrieve the keys and press the button housing a picture of a padlock. The two mean unlatched the black doors and stepped up into the car.​
The radio blared on as the car started. The two drove away.​
In other news, police have begun looking for a black SUV, recently stolen from a local barbershop, The Teen Spirit. This car’s license plate num-
The station turned to static.​
“Quick, find someone to pawn this car off on!”​
The passenger looked out the window, searching every foot of the route. “That guy?” He pointed to a brown, shaggy dog walking along the road. The driver shrugged and pulled over by him. This was their only chance.​
“Can I help you two?” Rowlf asked.​
“Yes, in fact, you’re just the person we were looking for!”​
“I am?”​
“Yes! See, we had this car, but we shattered the window last night in a car accident,” the driver said, pulling words out of the sky. “So we have no use for it now, but we figured maybe a dog would like it. The way they’re always sticking their heads out windows.”​
Rowlf walked around the car. “How much?” He noted the Winnie the Pooh plush toys hanging from the windshield.​
“15 bucks, maybe?” They only had one shot at this.​
“Alright.” Rowlf got three bills out of the wallet he had been carrying. “Here.”​
“Thank you, sir. Pleasure doing business with you.” The two men briskly walked toward the guard rail, jumped over it, and ran into the creek.​
Why would they-, Rowlf thought, shrugging off the remainder of that sentence. He got in the car and turned the keys. At least it worked fine, he figured. The radio came on as Rowlf cruised along the highway.​
The sun is in the sky and
Clouds are rollin' by and
Today is gonna be one wonderful day
Rowlf bobbed back and forth, lounging in his seat.​
Hand in hand together
We'll be friends forever
Sharing all the good times
Happy and free
It's gonna be some
Easy goin'
We'll laugh our cares away
On this easy goin'
Easy goin' day
We're never in a hurry
Got no time to worry
We'll take it nice and-
This is an urgent news alert!
Rowlf barely avoided swerving off the road.​
Police are still searching for a black SUV, stolen from a local barbershop earlier today.
Rowlf sat up. He pushed his head out the window and stared down at his new car. His head snuck back in just as another car approached. Doggy talent.​
The car is said to have Winnie the Pooh plush toys hanging from the windshield. It’s license plate number is 3W03904.
The blaring sirens were only confirmation of the urgent problem at hand. A look into the rear-view mirror revealed flashing lights headed straight for the car. Should he try to pull off and avoid the lights? Drive faster and take the risk of getting a speeding ticket? Jump into the creek with the two criminals? At least they would be at the scene, then. However, the lights came closer all too fast. He had no choice but to stop and hope.​

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Chapter Two
“Janice?”​
“Like, fer sure!”​
“Animal?”​
“PRESENT! PRESENT!”​
“Rowlf?” Scooter pronounced it so that it rhymed with “golf.”​
Pepe eyed the golf clubs latched on to the old bus ceiling, amongst the array of ping-pong balls, and boomerang fish. “Is here, h’okay!”​
Scooter turned to Kermit, clipboard still in hand. “We’re all here, boss.”​
“Oh, good. Dr. Teeth, we’re ready!”​
Dr. Teeth booted up the bus with some resistance on its end. As usual, the defending champion won again. The bus rolled down the concrete, off to its destination.​
Rowlf ran out of the apartment.​
No bus.​
He ran around the corner to the usual luggage packing location.​
No bus.​
He ran down the street.​
No bus.​
He missed it.​
The hound walked back to the Muppet Boarding House and sat down in the living room. This was going to be a boring week.​
Prcch! Prcch!​
Could it?​
Prcch! Prcch!​
Is there any chance?​
Prcch! Prcch!​
Beauregard emerged from the room, a long, wooden stick in hand. “Hi Rowlf! What happened to everyone?”​
“South. Hurricane season,” Rowlf said, all gleams of hope now dimmed.​
“Oh! Well, I’m going to clean out the dumpsters. See ya, Rowlf!”​
If Rowlf knew Animal, it was going to take Beau quite some time. Rowlf walked down the sidewalk, headed to Terry’s Diner for an Angus beef burger.​
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
“Here’s one!”​
Two men headed toward a black SUV. One, wearing a cowboy-like hat, pointed at the keys, still in the car, as the other, wearing a Baltimore Orioles cap, broke down the driver’s window. A quick lean into the car was enough to retrieve the keys and press the button housing a picture of a padlock. The two mean unlatched the black doors and stepped up into the car.​
The radio blared on as the car started. The two drove away.​
In other news, police have begun looking for a black SUV, recently stolen from a local barbershop, The Teen Spirit. This car’s license plate num-
The station turned to static.​
“Quick, find someone to pawn this car off on!”​
The passenger looked out the window, searching every foot of the route. “That guy?” He pointed to a brown, shaggy dog walking along the road. The driver shrugged and pulled over by him. This was their only chance.​
“Can I help you two?” Rowlf asked.​
“Yes, in fact, you’re just the person we were looking for!”​
“I am?”​
“Yes! See, we had this car, but we shattered the window last night in a car accident,” the driver said, pulling words out of the sky. “So we have no use for it now, but we figured maybe a dog would like it. The way they’re always sticking their heads out windows.”​
Rowlf walked around the car. “How much?” He noted the Winnie the Pooh plush toys hanging from the windshield.​
“15 bucks, maybe?” They only had one shot at this.​
“Alright.” Rowlf got three bills out of the wallet he had been carrying. “Here.”​
“Thank you, sir. Pleasure doing business with you.” The two men briskly walked toward the guard rail, jumped over it, and ran into the creek.​
Why would they-, Rowlf thought, shrugging off the remainder of that sentence. He got in the car and turned the keys. At least it worked fine, he figured. The radio came on as Rowlf cruised along the highway.​
The sun is in the sky and
Clouds are rollin' by and
Today is gonna be one wonderful day
Rowlf bobbed back and forth, lounging in his seat.​
Hand in hand together
We'll be friends forever
Sharing all the good times
Happy and free
It's gonna be some
Easy goin'
We'll laugh our cares away
On this easy goin'
Easy goin' day
We're never in a hurry
Got no time to worry
We'll take it nice and-
This is an urgent news alert!
Rowlf barely avoided swerving off the road.​
Police are still searching for a black SUV, stolen from a local barbershop earlier today.
Rowlf sat up. He pushed his head out the window and stared down at his new car. His head snuck back in just as another car approached. Doggy talent.​
The car is said to have Winnie the Pooh plush toys hanging from the windshield. It’s license plate number is 3W03904.
The blaring sirens were only confirmation of the urgent problem at hand. A look into the rear-view mirror revealed flashing lights headed straight for the car. Should he try to pull off and avoid the lights? Drive faster and take the risk of getting a speeding ticket? Jump into the creek with the two criminals? At least they would be at the scene, then. However, the lights came closer all too fast. He had no choice put to stop and hope.​
Oh, great! Just great! You put me on a cliff hanger! Hey the "Easy Goin" song was not a bad choice. BTW: That song was from the film "Follow That Bird." Rowlf the laid back guy who had some things in common with Jim with the criminals. Uh-oh! He's is Twouble!

Hubert

Reaction score
Thanks both muppetfan24/7 and missmusical for reading this! I'm glad you're enjoying it. Anyway, I'm gonna do some work on chapter three now, so I should have it up later tonight (hopefully).

Hubert

Reaction score
Sorry it's so short, but if I did more in this one, there'd be practically nothing in the next one.

Chapter Three

“TWO POINTS!” Floyd almost fell over after taking his wild swing.

“Nice one, man.”

Floyd slowly made his way over to a teenage girl standing toward the side, wearing a pink shirt and a green cap. The cap was on backwards, so that the flabby bill bobbed up and down behind her head as she paced around. “You wanna try?”

The girl only shrugged. They didn’t get it. They didn’t get that you can’t suddenly have fun after your whole world had gotten ripped apart. They didn’t lose their house. They didn’t lose everything they had lived for. They didn’t lose their-their parents. She broke into tears at that thought. Only a few days ago, the world had been perfect. She had everything she could want. And now, only a few days later, she had nothing. How could she be happy? She didn’t have a thing to live for. She might as well just die.

She had almost done that. But some frog had stopped her. Some goody goody frog popped in and tried to talk to her. She ignored him. What did he know? He didn’t lose everything. They just didn’t understand. How could they expect her to look positively at the world and laugh when there was nothing funny about her situation? That was like telling them to rejoice at the death of a loved one. It just couldn’t be done. Why were these stupid Muppets there, anyway? What were they, some goody goody church-goers on a mission trip to get accolades and bragging rights?

She walked away to an area free of these evil monsters. She sat down on a log from her old makeshift treehouse.

“What’s wrong with her?” Gonzo was still using his nose as a tee while Animal took a wild swing at another plank.

An older woman looked out the window of her somewhat inhabitable house. “What is that weirdo doing? We already have enough deaths around here.”

Across the hall, a woman was sitting on a small, wooden stool, opposite a nodding Kermit.

“And I looked out...and I...I saw the wind...and I heard him scream...and then I looked over...and he...and he...” The woman tried, but couldn’t.

Kermit nodded a reassuring nod, one meaning “I know.” It was heart wrenching. It was the thing he hated about this, yet loved at the same time, whether he realized it or not. This was his niche in the horrid game. Comforting. Listening. It was so wonderful to be able to help each victim pay the emotional toll and move forward. Crazy fun was what the others did. But he did this. Many times would Rowlf come in and do the same. And then they would comfort each other’s tears. And then the Muppets would comfort them.

Rowlf, however, was absent.

He was about to comfort the woman, about to tell her that all was OK. That everything was going to work out. Fozzie beat him to the task, by running into the room holding a cell phone.

The bear had a look that showed half worry, half sadness, and half confusion. All he had to do was show the phone to Kermit. Kermit stared at the small, black and white print. It was an issue of the Muppets’ local newspaper back home. It was the headline that made Kermit’s heart rip in two.

Local Dog Arrested For Knowingly Driving Stolen Car

What?

How?

Rowlf? The picture showed him. Could there have been a mistake? Was it someone else? Why would his loyal friend do that? He knew Rowlf, and he knew they were wrong. They had to be. Were they?

The words made him cringe again and again. Were they sure it was Rowlf? Were they sure he got arrested? Were they sure all this actually happened? Who was he kidding? It said it did. It said that he was arrested for knowingly driving a stolen car. How could he not believe it? But he didn’t believe it. That wasn’t the Rowlf he knew. There had to be more.

MissMusical12

Reaction score
This chapter really tugged at my heart, especially when Kermit finds out about Rowlf. I really wanted to cry. :cry:

Hubert

Reaction score
This chapter really tugged at my heart, especially when Kermit finds out about Rowlf. I really wanted to cry. :cry:
This may sound weird, but that is very encouraging to hear. One of the things I'm trying to go for a lot in this story is heart tugging. Much, much more heart tugging to come.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Sorry it's so short, but if I did more in this one, there'd be practically nothing in the next one.

Chapter Three

“TWO POINTS!” Floyd almost fell over after taking his wild swing.

“Nice one, man.”

Floyd slowly made his way over to a teenage girl standing toward the side, wearing a pink shirt and a green cap. The cap was on backwards, so that the flabby bill bobbed up and down behind her head as she paced around. “You wanna try?”

The girl only shrugged. They didn’t get it. They didn’t get that you can’t suddenly have fun after your whole world had gotten ripped apart. They didn’t lose their house. They didn’t lose everything they had lived for. They didn’t lose their-their parents. She broke into tears at that thought. Only a few days ago, the world had been perfect. She had everything she could want. And now, only a few days later, she had nothing. How could she be happy? She didn’t have a thing to live for. She might as well just die.

She had almost done that. But some frog had stopped her. Some goody goody frog popped in and tried to talk to her. She ignored him. What did he know? He didn’t lose everything. They just didn’t understand. How could they expect her to look positively at the world and laugh when there was nothing funny about her situation? That was like telling them to rejoice at the death of a loved one. It just couldn’t be done. Why were these stupid Muppets there, anyway? What were they, some goody goody church-goers on a mission trip to get accolades and bragging rights?

She walked away to an area free of these evil monsters. She sat down on a log from her old makeshift treehouse.

“What’s wrong with her?” Gonzo was still using his nose as a tee while Animal took a wild swing at another plank.

An older woman looked out the window of her somewhat inhabitable house. “What is that weirdo doing? We already have enough deaths around here.”

Across the hall, a woman was sitting on a small, wooden stool, opposite a nodding Kermit.

“And I looked out...and I...I saw the wind...and I heard him scream...and then I looked over...and he...and he...” The woman tried, but couldn’t.

Kermit nodded a reassuring nod, one meaning “I know.” It was heart wrenching. It was the thing he hated about this, yet loved at the same time, whether he realized it or not. This was his niche in the horrid game. Comforting. Listening. It was so wonderful to be able to help each victim pay the emotional toll and move forward. Crazy fun was what the others did. But he did this. Many times would Rowlf come in and do the same. And then they would comfort each other’s tears. And then the Muppets would comfort them.

Rowlf, however, was absent.

He was about to comfort the woman, about to tell her that all was OK. That everything was going to work out. Fozzie beat him to the task, by running into the room holding a cell phone.

The bear had a look that showed half worry, half sadness, and half confusion. All he had to do was show the phone to Kermit. Kermit stared at the small, black and white print. It was an issue of the Muppets’ local newspaper back home. It was the headline that made Kermit’s heart rip in two.

What?

How?

Rowlf? The picture showed him. Could there have been a mistake? Was it someone else? Why would his loyal friend do that? He knew Rowlf, and he knew they were wrong. They had to be. Were they?

The words made him cringe again and again. Were they sure it was Rowlf? Were they sure he got arrested? Were they sure all this actually happened? Who was he kidding? It said it did. It said that he was arrested for knowingly driving a stolen car. How could he not believe it? But he didn’t believe it. That wasn’t the Rowlf he knew. There had to be more.

No! Not Rowlf the Dog! Not him! (faints)!

Hubert

Reaction score
This chapter was really supposed to be filler more than anything, but chapter four had a different idea about himself. This has actually turned into my favorite chapter thus far.

Chapter Four

All of the Muppets were unusually gathered together outside, patiently killing time waiting for Kermit. This was extremely odd for these trips, considering they were always doing something different around the site.

“FROG COME! FROG COME!”

“Down, Animal! Frog be soon.” Floyd chuckled his trademark laugh.

Kermit approached the swarming crowd, brewing both a smile and a frown together, with a little confusion added in for seasoning. He stood in front of the many creatures, who, after a period of foot tapping and face scrunching, finally noticed that their little green friend was waiting for the sound to drown out.

Kermit breathed a heavy breath and began. “As most of you know by now, we had forgotten Rowlf back at the boarding house. Well, Fozzie has alerted me that he...he...has gotten himself into a bit of a predicament.” He was choosing every word carefully, so he wouldn’t upset the happy little cart the Muppets had been wheeling around. “And I feel like it might be a good idea for me to go down and check on him, to make sure he’s alright.”

Kermit saw the emotions beginning to pour into the small crowd’s faces.

“So I’m planning on hitchhiking back to the boarding house to check on him. Until then, I’ll leave it to Fozzie to keep things running smoothly around here. You guys can just continue your work. I doubt there are any serious problems back home, so I might even be back here before everyone heads back home.”

It didn’t even take a lover pig to know that Kermit was fibbing on the last part, but she was the first face that expressed that thought. “Kermie, what’s really wrong?”

“It’s just...it’s just that...” Kermit stumbled. “It’s just that Rowlf appears to have...” He gulped. “Gone to jail.”

If there was a pitcher for every emotion, there would not have been one that was full. Silent whispers aroused from the group.

“But I really don’t think it’s much.” Kermit was trying hard to console the now broken crowd. “Just a little misunderstanding.”

“Kermie, I’m not letting you go alone. You’ll be too lonely. I’m coming with you.” Piggy meant it, and Kermit knew it.

“Alright Piggy,” he quietly said, knowing that he wasn’t going alone. “You can come.”

“Uncle Kermit?” Kermit turned to see a five year old frog sitting to the right.

“No Robin, it’s too dangerous.”

Robin put his head down. “A-are you sure you don’t need me?”

If there was person that could stab Kermit straight in the heart, it was Robin. Kermit turned back around. “Alright, Robin. You can come.”

Kermit turned back to the Muppet crowd. “Bye guys. Keep the spirit alive.”

The three travelers walked away, headed toward the road.

“Kermie, how are we going to get back home?”

“I don’t know, Piggy, the guys need the bus to drive back later. I guess we’ll have to just, well, hitchhike?”

Robin and Piggy nodded in unison, despite the fact that they both hated the thought.

A blue station wagon thundered down the street. It swept past the three Muppets at such a speed that Robin was on his back the moment it vanished. Yet shockingly, the same blue station wagon clunked back down the road.

The driver pulled down his window. “Are you guys lost?”

Kermit tugged on his collar. “No, not quite. We kind of, well, need a ride home.” He gulped and stared down at Robin. What was Robin even doing here? Why was he dumb enough to let Robin come? Kermit had a sincere belief to trust people, but he still was protective of Robin, maybe even overly protective. What if this guy was a criminal or even a murderer? He and Piggy could brave it out, but Robin? Then Kermit saw the black leather bag over Piggy’s shoulder. Maybe?
“Hop in,” the driver said. As the three assembled into the car, Kermit picked Robin up and dropped him into the bag.

“Where’d you’re friend go?” the driver asked, seeing that only Kermit and Piggy made it into the car.

“Oh, um, he realized that he couldn’t go,” Piggy said, fibbing out of midair. “He has a hockey tournament.”

“But I thought you guys don’t-” the driver didn’t even bother finishing that thought. He just shrugged. As his parents always told him, frogs and pigs do funny things. “Where to?” he asked instead.

“As far west as you can get us.”

“Alrighty then, we’re off.” The driver put his foot on the pedal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The prison was nothing grand. Highly advanced technology was absent and security was scarce. There weren’t many cells, which wasn’t a problem, considering the town was no crime capital. The handful of cells were lined up, one by one, across either side of the rectangular building. There were no glass walls separating visitors from inmates. Visitors came and went, and could basically visit any given person they wanted without any need of approval from prison administration. All in all, the prison did serve its purpose, but it barely even did that.

Rowlf sat down on his bunk, and looked around his cell for the first time. His back faced a small, highly secured window. A toilet and a sink lined the wall of the small room. That was basically everything. It sure wasn’t like his room in the boarding house, but it suited his basic needs. Rowlf had always been the Muppet who required the least necessities. A place to sleep, a bathroom, and some food was all he needed, and all three of those were served. He watched a man walk past his cell, most likely going to visit a friend or relative.

He was exhausted. It had been a bumpy ride since those flashing lights had approached. He had been questioned, examined, given paperwork to fill out, and everything in between. He had been trapped in his own mind. He had analyzed every detail so well that he could barely even think. He finally decided to just sit down and just let it all pour out.

He had known that car was stolen. Even before he bought it, he knew it. He knew he knew it. His mind knew that, but his brain didn’t register it. Or maybe his brain knew it, and his mind didn’t register it. Or maybe his brain and mind both knew it, but his heart didn’t register it. But in one way or another, it was an inevitable fact that someone under that shaggy fur knew it, and someone else didn’t register it.

He knew it straight from the Winnie the Pooh plush toys hanging from the windshield, and possibly even before it. He knew it from the way those two men hurriedly talked. He knew it from the shattered driver’s window. He knew it and there was no excuse otherwise. That’s what he told the police.

He was mad at himself for even buying that car. Why did he even buy it? It was all just so rushed, he didn’t have time to think. It just hadn’t registered. Something didn’t register the thought rushing through his body.

He thought about the Muppets, painstakingly helping hurricane victims. What if they found out about all this? Then what? Rowlf shook his head. Who was he kidding? They were his friends. They would give him the benefit of the doubt. They would worry about him and fret about him and hope he’s OK. They wouldn’t even give a bad thought about Rowlf. He could just imagine Kermit and the gang gathering around, hoping he’d be alright. Kermit would be down to visit him. Kermit. Should he get the message down to the green frog that he doesn’t need to come back to visit him? He decided against it. A visit from Kermit was what he need most. But should he let Kermit leave the people who really needed help? He needed help, too. But Kermit and Rowlf both believed in something strongly: the idea that you should always go out of your way to not be a burden to someone. He knew what he needed to do.

He got a sheet of paper from the guard standing nearby, and began to write.

Dear Kermit,

I know that you probably found out about my being in prison. And I know that you probably are going to be on your way here to come visit me. But I just wanted to tell you that you don’t have to. There are people in real trouble down there that need ten times more help than I need.

See you soon,

Rowlf

Rowlf crumpled the paper into a ball and tossed it against the white cell wall. He forgot one thing: he had no address as to where exactly the Muppets even were. Even if he wanted to, he couldn’t couldn’t contact them. Kermit would be coming. That fact was inevitable at that point. He would come and visit Rowlf, maybe say a few encouraging words, and just comfort him.

Rowlf just didn’t understand it. Why was this happening to him? Why did he just happen to have to use the restroom at that very moment and miss the bus? Why did he decide to go to Terry’s Diner? Why did everything get timed so perfectly that this could happen to him? Just one second spared and he’d be with his friends right now, having fun. Instead he was in prison, miles away from them. It didn’t make sense. Why did the whole universe suddenly align against him in the time span of a few days?​