SUMMER OLYMPICS 2012

bandit

Reaction score
And so the Olympics come to a close. *siiiiigh* Anyone else feeling tremendous let down like me? What a great competition we had this year. There were so many outstanding moments. So many beautiful and tragic stories. I'm tellin' ya guys! There is just something so TRUE about the Olympics.

The universal language of sport. ^.^ I love it.
There are just too many tremendous moments for me. Obviously I have a few favorites. Any of you who are on my FB have probably had about enough of all of my carrying on. Everyone's overdosing on my love and enthusiasm for all of this but...I can't help it. It really meant something to me this year.

Like I said...SO many great moments but just a few would be....

Topping my list....US women's football team 's victory over Canada in the semifinals. You would think that my favorite moment would be when they won the gold in the finals. Sure! That was a great moment too but somehow I already knew that was coming. The match was written in destiny.
Last year I stumbled onto the women's world cup and watched match after match. I wanted Japan to win at the time. I felt they deserved it and I always kind of favor Japan's teams. Then a funny thing happened....I noticed the US women's team and realized..."Hey...we're actually....pretty good. O.O" By the end of the penalty kicks, I was happy for the Japanese victory and yet....I felt sorry for the US. They played so well and actually deserved it as much.

So a year later for the US to face Japan AGAIN and reclaim victory...AH how perfect would it be? But in order to do THAT, they'd have to get past the Canadians first...

What an EPIC battle that match turned out to be! I was SO tense as I watched, I thought I'd vomit. The Canadians were SO good and they just kept coming back and back. Extra time would have led to goal kicks were it not for Alex Morgan's last minute header. With, literally, less than 30 seconds to go in the extra time....she scored the goal that won us our spot in the final. You can't WRITE it better than that!

*siiigh* Oh I know there's a lot of controversy and drama surrounding it but still. Arlo White's emotion is palpable as Alex scores. "OH IT'S I-IN! ALEX MORGAN HAS DONE IT!" I was off the couch, screaming and fist pumping and 'Oh my Godding' for hours after that. I still am.

But that's just one of many moments. The women's 4xs 100 was just amazing. Those women can FLY! Misty May Treanor and Kerri Walsh-Jennings showed their stuff for one last time and struck gold yet again.

The Russians beat the Brazilians in volley. The Mexicans won against Brazil too.

I may not like Lochte but....MAN did anyone see his first race?! And Ding Ning in her bizarro table tennis frenzy....Sure she missed out on gold but....she came back, didn't she?! I loved her.
Wu Minxia was back and AGAIN winning....

Again, I can go on and on and on.....so many great stories and moments.

When the torch went down, I did choke up. Still, it made me smile to know each country would take home a piece of it.

And that's what it's all about. EVERYONE-- every nation-- even us just watching,...We were all a part of something really special. It felt so epic to me this year. Maybe it's just me but these are games I wont soon forget.

Hubert

Reaction score
*hugs*

Finally, you return! I've been pacing around my living room for days now hoping that you were alright...

bandit

Reaction score
*hugs*

Finally, you return! I've been pacing around my living room for days now hoping that you were alright...
Awwww that's sweet, Hubert! ^_^ Yeah, Yeah. RL and Olympics swallowed me whole. I'll be around more now.

catherine

Reaction score
I feel sad now they are finished and I also like michael phelps, hey buttahfly, u liked him, please pm me on here.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
I highly enjoyed the Olympics! The opening ceremony was absolutely perfect in every way! Mary Poppins saving sick kids from Voldemort, Mr Bean and Chariots of fire, a whole new interpretation of the British industrial revelation, a tribute to different decades of music, I could go on!

My personal favourites include Jade Jones in the taekwondo final and the women's hockey! I also enjoyed the silly yet fun crowd reactions. Both of my sisters went to see the hockey and later told me about the Mexican waves. Apparently, if you don't join in, you get booed at. Must be quite confusing for the athletes. XD Also, a lot of countries have their own brass band in the audience, each playing a different theme. Highly amusing, though sometimes distracting.

Vincent L

Reaction score
Anyone watching the Paralympics? I'm still considering waking up at 4 am for the opening ceremony.

Vincent L

Reaction score
I also bought the soundtrack to the closing ceremony. A Symphony of British Music. And naturally, I created a Wikipedia article for it.