Question about the release of "The Lorax" in March 2012

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's the more passive type. The ones that are easily persuaded.
Not really, I think we all have a fear of being alone to a certain extent.

I'm glad that the movie's promotion didn't feature an annoying market spree of wastefulness
Oh I agree, at least they had the right idea. But for me it's just another case of remaking a classic for no good reason and undeservingly sucking up all the attention from the original.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh I agree, at least they had the right idea. But for me it's just another case of remaking a classic for no good reason and undeservingly sucking up all the attention from the original.
It's not so much that, but how annoying is it when movie merchandise just sits there forever because they over order it? Not all of it is bad, mind you. A lot of it is, but most of it isn't. And while it's kind of a mild irritant when it comes to hit movies, big huge failures (Again, Terminator Salvation) sit there clearance after clearance. And like I said, they only order movie based merchandise now. Which I call bull on, because the Adventure Time merchandise kept disappearing off the shelves this Christmas. That's a TV show! One that's not even based off a comic book or movie.

I still see Planet 51 stuff sitting their at TRU. No one wants it, and it's just sad.

Of course, like I said... Lorax endorses sugary, high calorie IHOP breakfasts instead of Burger King Kid's meals and "fuel efficient" SUV's instead of a toy line. It doesn't seem that much of a change, so much as a slight reduction in waste on the part of tossed out kid's meal toys (only collectors don't throw them out) and unsellable action figures.

There actually is a tiny run of merchandise. "Lorax project" Dr. Seuss plush made of organic cotton. You can only find them at the baby goods area of Target, and they thankfully look like the movie. Considering that they still make Grinch movie merchandise to this day (I RULLY hate the bazturdization of the cartoon and movie and book they had on that merchandise with that ugly Grinch they had). Even that horrid Cat in the Hat movie had designs taken directly from the book for merchandise. And other than shampoo and some small Horton plush, they thankfully had nothing there either.

Still, I wish they'd have SOMETHING for Despicable Me besides those carny/crane machine plush. I walked out of that movie wanting to collect Minion toys.

All I'll say about the Lorax is that Hollywood needs to stop making Dr. Seuss books into movies. See Einstein's well-known definition of insanity.:rolleyes:
Dude, I'll do you one better. Stop making kid's picture books into movies. Curious George was brilliantly done, Shrek was lucky to come out of warping what the book was about without being terrible (I actually hate the original concept they considered), but the rest of them never end well. Book series with a series of characters, yes... single 20 page thing with a rough page of typed storyline, no.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
It's not so much that, but how annoying is it when movie merchandise just sits there forever because they over order it? Not all of it is bad, mind you. A lot of it is, but most of it isn't. And while it's kind of a mild irritant when it comes to hit movies, big huge failures (Again, Terminator Salvation) sit there clearance after clearance. And like I said, they only order movie based merchandise now. Which I call bull on, because the Adventure Time merchandise kept disappearing off the shelves this Christmas. That's a TV show! One that's not even based off a comic book or movie.

I still see Planet 51 stuff sitting their at TRU. No one wants it, and it's just sad.

Of course, like I said... Lorax endorses sugary, high calorie IHOP breakfasts instead of Burger King Kid's meals and "fuel efficient" SUV's instead of a toy line. It doesn't seem that much of a change, so much as a slight reduction in waste on the part of tossed out kid's meal toys (only collectors don't throw them out) and unsellable action figures.

There actually is a tiny run of merchandise. "Lorax project" Dr. Seuss plush made of organic cotton. You can only find them at the baby goods area of Target, and they thankfully look like the movie. Considering that they still make Grinch movie merchandise to this day (I RULLY hate the bazturdization of the cartoon and movie and book they had on that merchandise with that ugly Grinch they had). Even that horrid Cat in the Hat movie had designs taken directly from the book for merchandise. And other than shampoo and some small Horton plush, they thankfully had nothing there either.

Still, I wish they'd have SOMETHING for Despicable Me besides those carny/crane machine plush. I walked out of that movie wanting to collect Minion toys.

Dude, I'll do you one better. Stop making kid's picture books into movies. Curious George was brilliantly done, Shrek was lucky to come out of warping what the book was about without being terrible (I actually hate the original concept they considered), but the rest of them never end well. Book series with a series of characters, yes... single 20 page thing with a rough page of typed storyline, no.[/quote
I agree!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, I was told that my aunt took my 1-year-old cousin to see the Lorax, and that the 1-year-old hated it. I don't exactly know if it was the movie or the experience of being in a movie theater, though we took her to see The Muppets and didn't make much of a fuss. But you could take this as a sign that even babies hate the bad adaptations.:smile:

mr3urious

Reaction score
I recently discovered that Danny DeVito also voiced himself in the Spanish dubbed version. Same goes for German, Italian, and Russian! :smile:

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I actually enjoyed this when I watched it on DVD. Sure it's not the same. Like Little Shop of Horrors as a movie the depressing ending doesn't work. The same thing goes for a book being turned into a movie. The Witches had a happier ending, but nobody hates that movie that I know of. You want to talk bad adaptions.....discuss the live-action Scooby Doo. Aka Scooby Don't.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's the problem with the Scooby-Doo movie.

They were writing the characters based on A Pup Named Scooby-Doo. No... I'm not kidding. Fred is a goofy idiot, Daphne's vain... Their Pup counterparts. The first film does WAAAAY too much Brady Bunch making fun of the original source... and it worked for that point in time (the fart contest didn't age as well). The second one was much better, actually referencing the show instead of parodying it, except for that Big Lipped Alligator Moment at the end with the then American idol winner that we all forgot. That really fat guy. You know the one I'm talking about.

No... for worse, you look at Yogi Bear. The writing is awful and cliche for the most part, and Ranger Smith couldn't have been cast worse. Not to mention the Mary Sue love story they threw in to get girls to pretend to like it (cuz, you know... Hollywood thinks all girls are stupid and like flat love stories forced on EVERYTHING). But sadly, Yogi and Booboo were almost pitch perfect. And even more sad? It's still not the worst thing Yogi ever done by a long shot. But I actually prefer the Smurfs movie over the Yogi one. At least Hank Azaria was having more fun than humanly possible for that movie as Gargamel.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Here's the problem with the Scooby-Doo movie.

They were writing the characters based on A Pup Named Scooby-Doo. No... I'm not kidding. Fred is a goofy idiot, Daphne's vain... Their Pup counterparts. The first film does WAAAAY too much Brady Bunch making fun of the original source... and it worked for that point in time (the fart contest didn't age as well). The second one was much better, actually referencing the show instead of parodying it, except for that Big Lipped Alligator Moment at the end with the then American idol winner that we all forgot. That really fat guy. You know the one I'm talking about.

No... for worse, you look at Yogi Bear. The writing is awful and cliche for the most part, and Ranger Smith couldn't have been cast worse. Not to mention the Mary Sue love story they threw in to get girls to pretend to like it (cuz, you know... Hollywood thinks all girls are stupid and like flat love stories forced on EVERYTHING). But sadly, Yogi and Booboo were almost pitch perfect. And even more sad? It's still not the worst thing Yogi ever done by a long shot. But I actually prefer the Smurfs movie over the Yogi one. At least Hank Azaria was having more fun than humanly possible for that movie as Gargamel.
I have not seen Yogi bear, but I don't think I want to. The reason I hate the Scooby Doo movie is because I loved the original. Scrappy Doo as villian was a terrible idea.