TV Alert: Grover on Good Afternoon America August 22, 2012

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wednesday don't miss Grover on Good Afternoon America promoting Sesame Street's oral health initiative, Healthy Teeth, Healthy Me! Check local listings for times in your area.

You can also learn more here. It's always fun when Muppets show their teeth! :big_grin:

If you saw the appearance, please "like" this post and share your thoughts below!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
"So Grover, do you know this Caroll Spinney guy?"
"Caroll who?"
"See, that's the thing."
"I am not sure, but I did see a picture of a man back there who looked like Santa Claus."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well that was disappointing.

Grover hardly did anything, and of course, they just HAD to throw in Elmo-related video footage in there hogging up the screen time.

DTWolf

Reaction score
The show had already been on for 35 minutes before I saw the e-mail from Muppet Central letting me know about this, so I missed the first half of the show.

I did see the Grover bit at the end, which was apparently the main thing . . . and it was awfully weak. The GAA folks were trying to rush everybody through (it was the last five minutes of the program!), most of the kids looked bored or not sure what to do, and poor Grover wasn't allowed to say much.

I have to wonder if somebody got the kids ready to go at the start of the hour and then they were told to wait . . . and wait . . . and wait. Note to GMA and GAA: if you have small children coming to be on the show, get them on the air as quickly as possible after they arrive. Don't let them sit around getting bored and confused because they've been told to do X and then told they can't do it yet.

How much more life and coherence would this have had if the whole thing had been done near the start of the hour when everybody was fresh and excited and no one was desperate to finish on time?

(If they really DID do something in the first half-hour, then excuse my criticisms—but from what I saw, I'm guessing there wasn't any more than an occasional "Grover waving and smiling before a commerical break" or "Grover has a cute remark before the opening credits.")

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The show had already been on for 35 minutes before I saw the e-mail from Muppet Central letting me know about this, so I missed the first half of the show.
All he did was walk out, was asked if he knew who Caroll Spinney is (which he didn't, but remarked that the man in the photos looked like Santa Claus), and was asked if he was going to be making a cameo or an appearance in I Am Big Bird, to which he said he hopes so. He was also asked if with this movie coming out if Big Bird is going to end up having a big ego, he said he doesn't think so, but that he already has a big head. That was about it.
I did see the Grover bit at the end, which was apparently the main thing . . . and it was awfully weak. The GAA folks were trying to rush everybody through (it was the last five minutes of the program!)
That ALWAYS happens to the Muppets on daytime TV (except for Elmo, nobody would DARE dwindle Elmo's airtime)... remember back in 2006 or 2007, when Kermit and Fozzie were supposed to be on The View? They had an actress on before them who spent so much time ranting about her ex-husband and her divorce, that Kermit and Fozzie were reduced to a similar brief bit where they barely did anything.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
The same thing happens two weeks ago when Grover Abby and Elmo where on the Today show in London.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Whenever these characters make such appearances, they always fair better on late night talkshows, as opposed to daytime.... something great always happens when we see the likes of Grover, or Fozzie, or even Big Bird on, say, Jimmy Kimmel, but on daytime, we're basically just sitting there waiting for those people to screw us over by waiting until the last minute to bring the characters on, then rush them through their appearances.

Well, I take that back, when Piggy was on Anderson Cooper's show, she did get to do quite a bit, and she cracked some great pig jokes as well.

Come to think of it, I think Eric's getting better at appearing on live TV; it seems like in the old days, he struggled a little at trying to think of things to say, or how to answer questions, but he's been on a roll lately with his characters, so yeah.