Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Beauregard

Reaction score
Something that really irritates me is that instead of ending with The Muppets grande moment, it ends with Gary asking Mary to marry him and...the completely inexplicable...lack of reply she gave him. "Mahna Mahna." Does that mean yes? Or "nah"? Or, "Maybe?" or "I dododo-dodo"? It gets at me everytime I don't like it.

What the wocka?

Hubert

Reaction score
Something that really irritates me is that instead of ending with The Muppets grande moment, it ends with Gary asking Mary to marry him and...the completely inexplicable...lack of reply she gave him. "Mahna Mahna." Does that mean yes? Or "nah"? Or, "Maybe?" or "I dododo-dodo"? It gets at me everytime I don't like it.

What the wocka?
I just didn't like how staged it looked. To me, the whole acting and stuff in that little snippet was so terrible that it looked as if Gary and Mary had planned that ahead of time.

And plus, to me it seems like "Mahna Mahna" is a negative phrase...

Beauregard

Reaction score
Agreed! It totally pulls me out of the movie. Its almost as if it were a stunt pulled by the actors on each other (if they were a real couple) rather than something done by the characters in the movie. Like, if it had been Kermit suddenly saying to the camera, "Keep rolling I'm gunna do this properly" and they'd left it in the movie, fine. HA! But I totally don't get it in this context. Did people (execs) just not feel like Gary/Mary's story had concluded (because I felt it did when they sang a whole song about it.) I also can't appreciate the celebrities singing the song then because I feel like They also aren't quite a behind-the-scenes-bonus, nor are they quite a in-movie-moment...weird. Add to that the choppiness of the Richman revelations, the "oil" joke and the Kermit/Piggy flashback reused as now and the ending is a bit of a chopped-liver situation.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Well given that Mary sang about Gary proposing to her in the beginning of the movie it was kind expected by the end he ask her. Nicholas has stated she did Infact say yes I mean to me the look on her face was kinda obvious she wasn't gonna say no. As for Kermit the day I expect him to propose FOR REAL is the day pigs have...ehh I'll just stop there. :stick_out_tongue:

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
I actually thought the proposal and Mahna Mahna ending was kind of cute and didn't sully the movie in any way. Maybe it's just the way Amy Adams grabbed that goofy moment and ran with it; it just worked for me.

As I've previously mentioned, I found the ending montage rushed (especially Tex Richman's change of heart) but have no complaints about the Mahna Mahna ending otherwise. I would have run it through the entire closing credits (and topped it off with the official TMS closing theme and a Statler and Waldorf final comment) but hey, that's just me...

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I've never watched through all of the credits good to know I didn't miss anything.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
The "Mahna Mahna" thing (or at least the idea of having celebrities sing it during the credits) actually goes back to early drafts of the script.