Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, but you gotta admit

Crappy Finding Nemo Ripoff > Oogieloogieloves

I'd rather be forced to watch BOTH Reef movies than even a commercial for those Oogs. At least they got the OOG part of it right. The "love" part? Not so much.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Very true. All the good ideas have been taken. And so have most of the bad ideas.
Oh, i dunno about that...people's capacity for coming up with all new bad ideas on a fairly regular basis quite amazes me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh, i dunno about that...people's capacity for coming up with all new bad ideas on a fairly regular basis quite amazes me.
Bad ideas sell. Selling is more important than originality. But I hate how people act like everything that's being created now is absolutely the worst stuff ever created, and everything old is the greatest thing EVER. How do you explain The Avengers and everything Pixar does that doesn't involve talking cars? Nay.. even the stuff with talking cars is pretty good.

Movies like Oogieloves are rare in their terribleness. There are meh movies, there are lousy movies, but there are rarely movies so bad that it tears the fabric of the time space continuum. But there were always TERRIBLE films like that. Again, Mac & Me and there's some dumb Gremlins ripoff with really cheap looking rubber puppets with a fixed expression. But those two venture into so bad, it's good territory. You know what decade had a LOT of so bad it's good movies? The 50's... and 60's... and 70's... and 80's. That's the basis of one of the greatest TV shows of all time. So even bad can make good sometimes.

Yet, I have to stress, Oogieloves was self released. Lord knows where they got the money.

robodog

Reaction score
My guess is somebody sold their soul. Oogieloves is kind of like that videotape from the Ring. Watch it and seven days later those monstrosities will crawl out of your TV and devour you. There's no way that some sort of supernatural evil wasn't involved in that nightmare's creation.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Remember... this was from the Marketing guru behind Teletubbies and Thomas the Tank Engine. He was probably playing with house money anyway. He's just going to lose an investment, take credit from another crummy idea, and try to ram that down everyone's throats. The fact this was released the end of August shows there wasn't even confidence in this film by their own production company.

But the REAL problem is that the Oogieloves came out of thin air. Even that wretched reptile Barney came out of a series of cheaply produced VHS (and you're going to love this... it was created because the creator of Barney felt that Sesame Street was too complex... probably for her... O-O-O-O-O-OH!) before being a TV show. I said it a bunch of times in the thread already, but you can't build up that kind of franchise on a theatrical film. A DTV series, a Nick Jr. special or something... There's such an unspoken statement about this thing not catching on. To put it all in one big movie? That's an all or nothing bet, right there. I still fail to see where the budget comes from. I bet it this was DTV, at LEAST grannies would buy it for newborns.

robodog

Reaction score
Sesame Street too complex? Heaven forbid there be a children's show that doesn't talk down to children rather than treat them like brain dead slugs the way Barney does. I take solace in the fact that Sesame Street is still popular while Barney's well on his way to obscurity.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't see Barney heading into obscurity unfortunately... it's STILL on today (as in producing new episodes), and it seems like every few years or so, they keep adding new characters into the mix: y'know back in the day, it was just Barney, with an occasional appearance from Baby Bop, or that yellow dinosaur whose name escapes me, then it seems like at one point they added a bunch of Muppet-esque puppet characters like a bird, a worm, a squirrel, and others, and I think they have yet another new full bodied dinosaur I don't know, I don't pay too much attention.