Underrated Movies

Drtooth

Reaction score
Who hates Elf?
I don't hate Elf, I just can't get through it. Every time I try to watch it, I just go... GAHHH and shut it off. I actually grown to like Will Ferrel, but I prefer him in movies with a smarter script where he doesn't have to be a goofball all the time. I'd LOVE to see that one where he's the character in a novel.

I really find the DTV Mickey and the Musketeers or whatever it was called underrated. I wish they'd make more Mickey and co DTV's that aren't based on the CGI preschool show.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
Currently listening to Tough to be a God, I realize how underrated Road to El Dorado is in the mainstream but incredibly popular among internet geeks. Me being one of those geeks.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I don't hate Elf, I just can't get through it. Every time I try to watch it, I just go... GAHHH and shut it off. I actually grown to like Will Ferrel, but I prefer him in movies with a smarter script where he doesn't have to be a goofball all the time. I'd LOVE to see that one where he's the character in a novel.

I really find the DTV Mickey and the Musketeers or whatever it was called underrated. I wish they'd make more Mickey and co DTV's that aren't based on the CGI preschool show.
I liked Mickey The Three Musketeers! It was very good.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, to the best of my memory, here's my top 10 movies I like that everybody else hates (in alphabetical order):

1. The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle
2. Bee Movie
3. The Cat in the Hat
4. The Country Bears
5. Elf
6. Home Alone 3
7. Kangaroo Jack
8. Kermit's Swamp Years (I guess Muppets from Space would have to have an honorable mention)
9. The Master of Disguise
10. Super Mario Bros.
Eh...

Well, I'll agree that Rocky and Bullwinkle didn't deserve half the crap it got. It's just, as I've said a zillion times, the girl character didn't need to be there and was only in for that jaded Hollywood crap of adding a token female Mary Sue to try and get girls to watch. I hate that, and it ruined movies worse than this film did, but she was the bummer character that sucked ALL the humor in the film around her dry. But the rest of the film was almost pitch perfect. Even did the Washington joke. Rocky and Bullwinkle and George of the Jungle captured the Jay Ward cartoon spirit perfectly. Dudley Do-Right on the other hand...

I just hope they get Peabody and Sherman as right as possible. So far it deals with them having to deal with screwing up the time space continuum, and true P&S fans who have seen the first episode know that the WAYBAC is actually a "what if" time machine.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Who hates Elf?
Apparently everyone else on MC says it's the worst Will Ferrell movie there is, but I COMPLETELY disagree, I think it's the ONLY Will Ferrell movie that's actually watchable, because for once, he plays against type, and instead of playing a one-dimensional sketch character, he actually plays a sympathetic fish-out-of-water character... not to mention, it's also just a charming little family Christmas movie, with an interesting choice of casting.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Apparently everyone else on MC says it's the worst Will Ferrell movie there is, but I COMPLETELY disagree, I think it's the ONLY Will Ferrell movie that's actually watchable, because for once, he plays against type, and instead of playing a one-dimensional sketch character, he actually plays a sympathetic fish-out-of-water character... not to mention, it's also just a charming little family Christmas movie, with an interesting choice of casting.
The first time I saw it. It reminded me of Enchanted, because I saw that one first. I actually enjoy Elf better than A Christmas Story almost. (waves to men in white coats clearly about to take me away)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Christmas Story is one really weird and trippy movie... you have to watch it like a bazillion times in order to "get it", and even then, there's still a lot that doesn't make sense (like when Ralphie finally snaps and beats up the bully, why does the bully's nose start bleeding when Ralphie was punching him in the gut?). Or... it could be one of those movies you have to watch on acid, I don't know...

Alls I know is, in our family, that movie is on the TV all day long Christmas day, it's my aunt and uncle's favorite Christmas movie, and TBS always coincidentally has that 48 hour marathon of the movie on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, so yeah...

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong! I enjoy it! It's just that I personally like the Christmas movies where the characters are mostly likeable. Other than Ralphie's mother everyone is basically mean-spirted and/or selfish. But it's still a funny film!