Top Annoying Misnaming People Do

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm really glad that with the advent of conventions people like voice actors and puppeteers are finally getting the recognition they deserve. For too long people treated them like they weren't "real" actors just because you couldn't see them.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Well since we're on the subject I do agree with Mo in terms of most people do just think its the voice and mouth movement. If they only saw what really goes on behind it I'm sure they'd have a different perspective about it. But puppetry is more foreign to people then one might assume. But the same could be said for animators as well most people think its just drawing on papers not knowing the animator has to actually study the actor doing the voice to get a feel for how to bring it to life. I studied art when I was in college and Mo makes another good point until you've tried it yourself you can't really know what actually goes into it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But puppetry is more foreign to people then one might assume.
That's why I was always so grateful that Jim was so willing to share the behind the scenes experience even with young fans like me. :smile:

But the same could be said for animators as well most people think its just drawing on papers not knowing the animator has to actually study the actor doing the voice to get a feel for how to bring it to life.
Absolutely, as one Disney documentary put it, "animators are actors with a pencil!" Well, puppeteers are actors with a puppet, lol. And I recall the Gorg actors compared their mask and mime work with puppetry. The pencil, puppet and mask is the just the medium you use to create.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I'm taking a course that involves photography, and most people think you just grab a camera and shoot. No, no, no, there's far more too it than that. You have to know how to set up your shots, how and were to position the camera, measuring of aperature and shutter speed, lighting, depth of field, and plenty of math, among other things.

And I also puppeteer as a hobby. In that sense, I'm still at Elementary level (possibly lower). So much goes into that, as well. Making the character come to life, making it turn a certain way, eye contact, proper lip sync, knowing how to skip syllables and mix up mouth movements when lip synching, moving the character's arm at the same time it speaks without making it look awkward, developing a character, keeping your arm up, staying in place, and so much more.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm taking a course that involves photography, and most people think you just grab a camera and shoot. No, no, no, there's far more too it than that. You have to know how to set up your shots, how and were to position the camera, measuring of aperature and shutter speed, lighting, depth of field, and plenty of math, among other things.
Yeah anytime you make an art form a mainstream thing (obviously anyone can own a camera) the general public will start to take it for granted.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Boy, we've muffined this thread.
Hmm yes...oh well, lol.

Well anyway, um, misnaming, yeah...well I had the opposite experience once. I bought myself a Snuffy toy a couple years ago and I was very shocked that my Dad knew its name, lol.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I don't know how well this story fits here but when I was little I had wanted a Piggy doll for Christmas because I was into Muppet babies. So my grandfather (god rest his soul) had no idea who the Muppets were and he said "That is the ugliest doll I've ever seen" and my mom goes "Its a pig" and he said "oh well that explains everything." Lol Now looking back at it all I could think of what an insult to Piggy. XD