The Official October/Halloween/Fall Thread

MissMusical12

Reaction score
I've been getting more and more into The Addams Family myself. Specifically the 2 1990s movies and the original Charles Addams comics. I've always had a dark irreverent since of humor so when I sat down watching the grim jokes in the movie, I'm laughing at every gag like crazy for a solid 2 minutes straight. lol One of my favorite scenes is when the family is looking for something to donate to a charity auction and the wife (Morticha I think her name is) goes with Lurch and they open a cabenate and pull out body bags and she reads the tags "Uncle Nicknack's Spring Wardrobe, Uncle Nicknack's Winter Wardrobe, Uncle Nicknack." lol :stick_out_tongue:
I watched half of the first episode of The Addams Family TV series from the 60s and even though it was funny, to me it was more light and not as morbid or dark as the 1990s. And the daughter Wendesday in the 1990s movie is so brilliant for a kid but her in the first season of the 1960s, it's one of those "Kids say the darnest things" situation. Like Sherly Temple with a wig but the actress in the 1990s movie, CREEPY AND BRILLIANT FOR HER AGE BACK THEN. lol
I'm not too big on the 90's movies, actually. I really like the movies, but there's something about the 60's show that makes it a tad better, in my opinion.

Have you heard of the musical version of The Addams Family? Personally, I REALLY enjoyed it! Saw it on Broadway twice during its run. The only thing I wasn't crazy about in the musical was Wednesday. See, in the musical, she's supposed to be an 18 year old and is falling in love with a "normal" boy. Don't get me wrong, the two actresses that played her were wonderful (The second one was better, though), but I found Wednesday in the musical to be.......rather annoying.
Why? Well....she's like always complaining and thinking "I'm an adult. I do what I want. I don't need my parents. Blah blah blah."

Her first act number, "Pulled", is the song in the show I just hate to love. It's really catchy and works well in the show itself ONLY. When other girls are doing covers of it either for fun or for a competition or something, it just doesn't work at all in my opinion. :smirk:

mupcollector1

Reaction score
The only thing I wasn't crazy about in the musical was Wednesday.:smirk:
Yeah I totally agree, I've seen a clip of it. The jokes and gags look historical and fast pace (my kind of humor) but it's got to be this so called "Hollywood Modern Time" hooey that in the entertainment biz have this belief to fallow trends otherwise it doesn't sell. Thankfully it doesn't conform to that 100% or just for my own opinion from seeing the clips. Though I'd love to see it myself. I always loved musicals. My favorite is...well okay, Avenue Q just because I love puppets and as the Muppet fan I've always been, AWESOME musical. I just got another copy of Jim Henson's Designs and Doodles (since my first copy got lost when I moved out from my father's, LONG STORY) And Jim said in quote how Puppets are greatful because they can say and do things that live performers wouldn't dare touch with a stick. lol So true, I've been saying it for years. Anyway my 2nd favorite musical is probably West Side Story. I've always loved Greaser Musicals like this and Grease, but I've developed a HUGE crush on "Anybodys" the Masculine Tomboy in West Side Story, mainly the movie but it's always exciting to see a version of her in musicals. So rebellious during the 60s. I've always been an admirer of Androgyny and nonconformity :smile:

But yeah, I just love The Addams' Family House and I even enjoyed The Munsters a great deal too. People always debated Addams Family vs Munsters but I just see them as two different pieces of media art within the same genre. No one is better then the other. Though I just love how Herman is kind of Dimwitted and how he would scare people away and there would be zany scenes of people running and the footage is speeded up kind of like Benny Hill without the music and just all this slapsticky stuff is happening. I got to get myself the complete series on DVD for my collection, it's been on my want list for years. lol

Relating to what you were saying before and perhaps to explain myself a little bit, I grew up in the 90s generation but it's so funny how there's so many things I didn't get to see mainly because I was too young. lol Only if I seen Tank Girl back in 1995, lol (I'm a huge fan) But I always enjoyed classic TV. I was probably the only kid in Middle School and High School that watched TV Land regularly. Aside from The Munsters, I've always been a HUGE I Love Lucy fan since I was under 10, and I got into Sanford and Son around College. And of course Three Stooges, Marx Brothers, Looney Tunes, Tex Avery, Woody Woodpecker, etc. And even the music I listen to is 60s - 80s and a little bit of 90s ska. So it's kind of been like I was born in the wrong generation sometimes, the only thing I like about this generation is the internet computer technology. lol I'm so addicted to it. :stick_out_tongue:

Speaking of Marx Brothers, I sort of wanted to dress up as Groucho but can't find any good parties around my area. :frown:

MissMusical12

Reaction score
Yeah I totally agree, I've seen a clip of it. The jokes and gags look historical and fast pace (my kind of humor) but it's got to be this so called "Hollywood Modern Time" hooey that in the entertainment biz have this belief to fallow trends otherwise it doesn't sell. Thankfully it doesn't conform to that 100% or just for my own opinion from seeing the clips. Though I'd love to see it myself. I always loved musicals. My favorite is...well okay, Avenue Q just because I love puppets and as the Muppet fan I've always been, AWESOME musical. I just got another copy of Jim Henson's Designs and Doodles (since my first copy got lost when I moved out from my father's, LONG STORY) And Jim said in quote how Puppets are greatful because they can say and do things that live performers wouldn't dare touch with a stick. lol So true, I've been saying it for years. Anyway my 2nd favorite musical is probably West Side Story. I've always loved Greaser Musicals like this and Grease, but I've developed a HUGE crush on "Anybodys" the Masculine Tomboy in West Side Story, mainly the movie but it's always exciting to see a version of her in musicals. So rebellious during the 60s. I've always been an admirer of Androgyny and nonconformity :smile:
I saw the recent revival of West Side Story on Broadway about two years ago. It was amazing, and I really enjoy the movie, too! One of my dad's co-workers is the aunt of the girl who took over as Maria later on in the run. Avenue Q is a show I'm DYING to see (I love the songs), but my dad won't let me. :sigh:

Speaking of Marx Brothers, I sort of wanted to dress up as Groucho but can't find any good parties around my area. :frown:
How original! I'm PLANNING on dressing as Janice this year (I'm not a blonde, by the way) :flirt: , but then again it could backfire. I wanted to go as either Sally (from Nightmare Before Christmas) or Morticia Addams last year, but instead I ended up as a pirate and I got a ridiculous left over costume from Target. I would LOVE to go to a costume party! :halo:

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Avenue Q is a show I'm DYING to see (I love the songs), but my dad won't let me. :sigh:
Yeah Avenue Q is pretty raunchy, very TV-MA. Even though they use the neighborhood through out, like a cardboard box but more better quality, it folds out and a whole new set comes about. I think the one set is actually several, they just need to fade to black, turn it around and bingo, really fast theater set changing. It's amazing what puppets can get away with. lol They are still doing Avenue Q but in one theater in NY, it's not on Broadway or touring anymore but they still do it in NY. But make sure to beware if you see Aveune Q in your local community theater, it's been licensed to smaller community local theaters and it's basicly amature puppets and puppeteers. My mother told me Aveune Q is coming and I was so excited because I wanted to see it again, then it was on front page of my local paper, this cheap amature puppet and it said Aveune Q. I was so mad that day. lol I emailed Rick Lyon telling him "I think someone is bootleging Aveune Q" and he told me not to worry it's authorised to local theater. But anyway the real offical one is still in NY. I'd love to see it again, plus I still need to see Book of Mormon which was not only written by the writer of Avenue Q but South Park's very own Trey and Matt. :big_grin:

Speaking of Halloween Parties, there is a B-Movie fest that only comes along in July, I heard about it on another forum. It's called "B-Fest" and it's when they lock the audience in a theater for 24 hours and the only other places available in the building is the lue and the snack bar (opens on certain times) and they play just BAD movies. lol And they advise people to bring blankets and pillows with them so they can sleep through a few movies when tired. lol Sounds wild, I'd love to try it out. I'm a total night howl and I pull all nighters easily. In fact almost every night. lol

newsmanfan

Reaction score
(I have not seen any movies in the Child's Play, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, or Friday the 13th franchises).
Of NoES, see the original and the 3rd. The rest are lame slashfests. Halloween: the first, with a young Jamie Lee Curtis. I personally don't care at all for the other two franchises.

Oh! See "Black Sheep." Hysterical NZ dark comedy/horror about sheep gone horribly wrong.

A friend sent me a hand-painted orange sign, "Witches' Night Out," with black silhouettes of girls dressed as witches out trick-or-treating with dancing cats. Adorable. I hung it under my super-creepy pumpkinheaded scarecrow lights.
----------------

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Of NoES, see the original and the 3rd. The rest are lame slashfests. Halloween: the first, with a young Jamie Lee Curtis. I personally don't care at all for the other two franchises.
My best friend is a huge fan of Nightmare at Elm Street and yeah I got to agree, 1 and 3 were the best. 4 was okay. I'm more into latex monsters myself and not so much into slasher films like my friend is. But Nightmare at some pretty cool special effects. My friend really hates the new one so we would mock it and make each other laugh. lol But yeah, I'm ore of a Gremlins / Troma / B-Movie fan when it comes to Horror. Spookies is pretty good, it's hard to tell if the filmmakers where trying to make a straight serious horror movie or not. Like there's these Mud monsters who make uh...raspberry noises when they walked and when they died, it's just over doing the toilet humor sound effects. lol Shark Attack 3: Megalodon is another so bad it's good movie. It's Jaws but with corny chroma key effects with Great White Shark documentry stock footage, and the film does some corny stuff like people with jetskis driving into the sharks mouth and it's full of cartoony sound effects like the shark making human eating noises and burping. lol Again, it's hard to tell if the filmmakers where serious when they made this. And I don't know if I mentioned David "The Rock" Nelson at all, but if you thought Ed Wood was campy...this is as bottom of the berral as you can get! David is this 50 year old who still lives in his mothers basement and makes these horrably amature movies that are complete rip offs of the universal monster films, and there's barely a budget. It's people in Halloween store bought costumes who are amature actors and stuff. And these movies sell for $20.
(contains some irreverent dialog, super campy funny lol)

Vincent L

Reaction score
Leaves don't really change color where I live, but I love the cool weather.