The Worst Teen Revamp Ever?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
But on that same token, it's almost like comparing the Goombas of the live action Super Mario Bros. movie to the Goombas in the original games and such... it's almost as if they went out of their way to make sure that they look nothing like the originals. Heck, even this underground 70s anime series of Little Lulu that I didn't know existed until now looks to be more true to the original sources than this.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okey-doke folks, here it is...

This Brazilian Manga is a teen revamp of...

Are you ready for this?

*Drum roll*

Little Lulu.
And you know what's really terrible? There already WAS a Japanese produced Little Lulu anime! And she didn't look a thing like that. Sure, she had an anime redesign, but it was extremely subtle. Her hair was dark brown and the characters had large Gag Manga mouths. That subtle.

You might remember that version if you're old enough.

Actually.. one more thing. Japan ALSO had their own Lulu Manga...

And sadly, that looks pretty accurate to the actual little Lulu in actual anime form. This from the country that Made Spider-Man a Power Ranger and gave him a robot, and made the TMNT into Saint Seyia characters and Wolverine clones (but were fairly accurate everywhere else). Still better than some weird Brazilian magazine.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's basically the point I was making, with each little revamp over the years, despite a few slight and subtle redesigns, everything stayed pretty true and accurate to the original source... really, the only major difference I can tell is that in the Cinar/HBO series, Lulu's personality is toned down a bit compared to say, the original Paramount shorts of the 1940s, or even the original comics of the 1930s, where she's more of a troublemaking brat at times, but I'm sure this is because they didn't want her to be a negative role model for little girls who may be watching.

And again, while not too many people jump for joy over the "teen" or "growed up" revamps, at least most of them stay fairly true to the original sources, and the designs simply look like what the characters may look like as teenagers... this, on the other hand, looks nothing like Lulu, Tubby, Annie, etc, and from what I've read about the manga itself, they don't even sound anything like the original characters.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, this is a Brazilian comic, so I guess it's not going to be anywhere else, thankfully.

But what really bugs me is when they say "anime" style, it's some Sailor Moon looking stereotype. Trust me... Anime can look like

Or even this little beauty...

Yeah... TMS TOTALLY stole some layouts and background character Models after Animaniacs.

That's why Westerners have trouble aping true anime style... they only know several cliches.

Though I will say this... Brazil has just a right to make Ginzu manga as anyone else. Europe and South America got LOTS of animes we didn't before we did. When Robotech was a novelty, they already had Dragon Ball.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I just watched some of the 70s Lulu animes on YouTube... boy, some of those voices are actually pretty annoying (and I'm talking about the English dubs)... and... why does Lulu SCREAM so much?!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just watched some of the 70s Lulu animes on YouTube... boy, some of those voices are actually pretty annoying (and I'm talking about the English dubs)... and... why does Lulu SCREAM so much?!
The show would be great if the dub didn't suck! What I really hate is that lousy "Bullets" music... well, I'm not sure it was the Bullets, but they massacre anime scores with generic music. And people complain about 4Kids... The worst of it? There's a scene in one episode that's obviously a parody of the West Side Story gang dance and snap off, and the American music is generic disco rock. That's right! A Japanese reference to an American product that's ruined in the American version!

And the voices do suck. A clear case of didn't do the research and watching the old cartoons to do impersonations. Even the rare dub of the weird Powerpuff Girls anime had some impersonations (bad ones) of the American voice actors by the Canadian dub team.

But I've heard worse in an anime dub.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well speak of the devil...

I was at this weird new store in town today called Ollie's (basically like Big Lots!, only with more stuff, and a really confusing layout), and found "The Best of Little Lulu" on DVD, though looking at the content, this appears to basically be the entire first season, minus one half hour episode.

Needless to say, I picked it up for nostalgic purposes, and because save for one of the half hour episodes, I don't have any of the others on tape.