Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 43

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
And in all their efforts of trying to find a classic G-song... You already have one! "Two G Sounds" sung by Grover and George!
I agree completely. In fact, I was hoping they'd play that one, but unfortunately you know how they don't play classic segments like that anymore. Instead we get the 'Letter G Gegonials" from last season. I agree that it doesn't make sense to play something more than once per season when they have plenty of other material they can use.

I like Drtooth's post as well. I had that character in mind too.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'm not really going to complain about reused segments, as I said... that's basically par now. But did they even make any new Super Grover 2.0 segments this year? I understand if, budget wise, ETM came first. It's just disappointing if they didn't. And if they did, I'm surprised they didn't at least put one on the first episode, or even the first week.
There's at least two: one with a tundra lemonade stand (as seen in a YT preview clip) and the press kit features an image of SG 2.0 on a farm with a sheep and a magnet. The press release mentions new segments, so hopefully they're just saving them for a few more episodes.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Was checking through the list of Words of the Day for Season 43 at MW to know if today's will be a repeat or a new episode.
In doing so, I noticed there are four episodes missing from the list, both as to what word and which celebrity will be involved in the additional explanatory segment following the corresponding street story: 4312, 4320, 4323, and 4326.

*Waits another hour to find out if 4307 will air today or not. :wisdom:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I checked the list for you on the celebrity air dates. Those are the episodes with repeat street stories and words of the day. The next episode isn't due for the 12th, Next Friday.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Huh, a full week of repeats until getting the next new episode of the season? *Shrugs. Thanks for the Mupdate Drtooth.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
There's a season highlight reel on PBS Kids.org, only showing mostly stuff from the first half of the season. But it has a brief clip from the Upsidedownton Abby sketch and it also has Frank in it!

Oscarfan

Reaction score
These few Season 39 episodes are being reworked into the regular Season 43 26 episodes due to the extra cost and time involved of producing 10 Elmo the Musical segments for this season.

I also wish they would be the same as the originals (with the exception of the show open and show number), but apparently Sesame Workshop has updated them. They will air soon enough.
Do you know why they split the production of the season in half? I would say it's because of ETM, but they didn't start writing the segment until after season 42 wrapped production and the shows airing now were taped then.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Apparently, the people behind Elmo: The Musical were absent because Elmo comes up with a typical Elmo's World-styled G-song where it's just the one letter sung over.
I don't want to triple post, but this ep. was filmed during season 42, so it was before they started work on ETM. I actually think it's not that bad; the music is funky and the lyrics are repetitive, but it's not as much as an EW Song.

And for anyone who cares, thanks to Phillip sharing the eps with me, I may have a complete song album! Huzzah!

ISNorden

Reaction score
AH... Mythology Gag! Singing the J Friends song as a throwaway bit. Did they ever do a cover that one? Seriously... first the two song by Abby and Elmo and now this. I hope we have more classic songs referenced/covered in the season.

Grover and Oscar's bits were classic. I LOVE Super Grover's new anthem. And the fact that the G is the same G from the Glee parody asking for his own song was itself hilarious in hindsight... and then cue the Glee parody several sketches later.
With that Muppetized J appearing (and getting his own classic song revamped, yet) I was almost expecting both letters to get Thing of the Day credit: after all, the producers allowed it back in Season 37 when the premiere had a street story teaching two letters (F and L). Hearing a new generation of Muppets singing a classic letter song was fun--especially when the J actually got a phone call from "Joan" during that verse. :sing:

It's a shame that Grover didn't show up out of costume with a new incarnation of George, to perform a remake of "Two G Sounds": thousands of fans remember that song, and some even play it for their own children. That oversight is especially ironic since most of the new songs emphasized the hard-G sound, not the soft one that made that Muppet G feel left out. (Yes, Super Grover might have mentioned "giraffe" in that hero anthem, but that's the only soft-G example I recall being buried among "I am the guardian of galaxies...my muscles are gargantuan" and so on.)

Still, you've got to love Oscar's and Rosita's attempts at composing new songs for the letter. Hearing Oscar praise a list of so many grouch examples was hilarious, and learning a few new Spanish words from Rosita was fun (especially with the lively melody she chose; sorry, G, I thought it had plenty of "go"!). Besides, it doesn't hurt to show kids that the same alphabet can be used to write different languages! :wisdom:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who recognized the G Muppet in that street story, as being identical to the G Muppet in last season's "Glee" send-up. That one taught the "two sounds" lesson fairly well, and the Muppet character kept his same touchy attitude in this season. Whoever wrote this plot, keep of the good work!