Five Ball Cha-Cha

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Okay, here's the end of the previous chapter. I had wanted to showcase the song that Kermit, Fozzie, and Gonzo do, but it was getting long, so you'll just have to settle for the original instead in another post. Enjoy!

Piggy had gotten dressed quickly and was just sitting down at her vanity when the door opened to reveal Kermit. “Don’t you knock?”

The frog didn’t say anything, instead he dropped off the single rose he had picked up on his way here while simultaneously dropping a kiss to her cheek. “And hello to you, baby.”

Piggy looked at the rose and then turned suspicious, but amused, blue eyes on the frog who had delivered it. “Who are you?”

“What?”

Despite needing to get ready for her next number, the diva none the less stopped what she was doing and turned to look at Kermit. “This is the third time this week that you’ve just come barging in here,” she began, counting off offenses on her hand. “You deliver flowers, and then you kiss me. Who are you and what have you done with Kermit the Frog?”

Kermit couldn’t stop the chuckle. He knew he probably was acting way different from the way he normally did, especially when it came to Piggy and he wish he could easily explain this new giddy, happy, version, but even he was having difficulty. He hadn’t been lying to Gonzo moments ago, when he stated he had more and more ideas lately, all of which included Piggy in some fashion.

Maybe it was the return of his beloved nephew, a person he had long since thought of as his own; they had so much in common and shared many of the things that Kermit had struggled with when he was a boy, and of course, the fact that Robin was the only person besides him in the entire family that understood show business like Kermit, it wasn’t hard to get attached to the young frog.

Or maybe it was Scooter, who had literally grown up before their eyes. No longer the unsure, but manipulative teen they had first met eons ago, Scooter Grosse had grown to be one of Kermit’s most trusted and closest friends. He wasn’t sure if either he or Piggy would ever fully admit just how much Scooter meant to them or how much they loved the red head, but they had been cracking jokes about their closeness for years.

To discover that the manager, who was still seen as a kid to many of them, had not only gotten a girlfriend, but one that seemed to be lasting much longer than the others, brought about a nostalgia that Kermit couldn’t begin to explain. There was something about watching someone you love fall in love that was…nice and beautiful all at once.

And then there was Gonzo.

Discovering only that night that one of his best friends had gotten married was a shock. Granted, the shock that Gonzo hadn’t invited them to said wedding was there, but it was easily overshadowed by the fact that Gonzo had gotten married. Gonzo, the same person who had eaten an entire tire on their first show, who had tried to balance a piano while on a tightrope, and who reveled in the prospect of pain, was married.

When you were in an invisible challenge to see which one of you would get the girl first, it seemed like a terrible blow when you discover you’ve lost.

Kermit couldn’t help but think how very ironic it was that he and Gonzo always seemed to be challenging each other for something. The blue weirdo really was like a brother to him.

“Come on,” he whispered, poking her gently in the shoulder. “Don’t be mean, especially when you look gorgeous tonight.”

The compliment wasn’t the only thing that stayed a classic retort from the diva. Kermit was dressed for his number with Gonzo and Fozzie – dark suit and vest, with matching blue dress shirt and tie – and it was all she could do to not keep him in there for longer than the fifteen minutes she had left. “I have to be out in fifteen,” she warned him, giving him a similar poke in the leg. “What do you need?”

“You doing anything tonight?”

Sending him a look, she replied, “Moi does have this little performance to do.”

“Right,” he nodded, smiling. “Dinner later? We’ll have a picnic.”

“A picnic.”

“Yeah,” he continued. “Under the stars, moonlight, everything! Unless of course, you’d rather be inside.”

Piggy turned again to fully look at him, before standing and placing a hand on his forehead. “There must be something wrong with you,” she said. “Are you sick?”

“Just love sick.”

“Really.”

“I don’t want to alarm you,” he whispered, looking around suspiciously. “But I think I’m in love.”

“You don’t say.”

“I do say,” he retorted.

“And what fortunate soul had fallen prey to your many charms?”

“Surprise!” he exclaimed, throwing his arms around her middle. “It’s you.”

“Gasp.”

“I know,” he said, nodding against her shoulder. “It shocked me, too, but really. How could I resist?”

“I am irresistible.”

“Yes,” he murmured, delivering a kiss to her bare shoulder. “And beautiful. Have I mentioned beautiful?”

“Not yet,” she sighed, tilting her head so he could plant a kiss on her neck. “And ordinarily, Moi would let you continue singing my praises, but…” Turning swiftly in his arms, Piggy managed to right the frog, who had stumbled a bit in the process.

Before grabbing his tie and kissing him full on, however she wasn’t about to start something, not when she now only had about seven minutes to get ready and Kermit was to be on stage in about five. Releasing him, she used his stunned state against him, by pushing him towards the door.

“Now out.”

“Now hold on, darlin’…”

“No, Moi will not be swayed any further. Out.”

“Dinner?” he asked quickly, as he could hear the sounds of backstage shenanigans going on behind him. “Yes?”

“Yes,” she replied, kissing him quickly before pushing him completely from her dressing. “Now get out.”

Kermit was admittedly a happy frog when he joined the bear and weirdo at stage left to await their turn to perform. “Where’ve you been?” Fozzie asked, turning a concerned eye on his best frog friend. The frog didn’t look the worse for wear, however his clothing was a bit ruffled and he seemed to be in a bit of a daze.

“Oh come on,” Gonzo huffed. “Look at him – glazed look in his eye, rumbled clothing, and lipstick on his lips – where else would he have been?” Smirking however, he said, “Unless there’s something you want to tell us.”

“How’s that whicken situation coming along?” Kermit retorted.

Gonzo couldn’t help but chuckle at that. Well, well…the game was back on. “You’ve been saving that, haven’t you?”

“Yes, I have.”

“Just waiting for the moment to use it,” the weirdo replied. “Well, Kermit, I’d say it was about on par with those bouncing figs you and Piggy have been working on." Smirking, Gonzo taunted, "Bet you I’ll be first.”

Fozzie, who being the single bear in this little trio of theirs, just shook his head. “Whickens and figs,” he muttered. “You guys should have bears.”

Both Kermit and Gonzo looked at him, both knowing he was probably making a joke at their expense, but still a bit surprised at it. “You want us to have bears?” Kermit asked.

The bear in question realized what the statement had probably sounded like and tried to backtrack, but all it did was cause his two friends to shake their heads as they made their way on stage. “Man Foz,” Gonzo replied. “Sometimes you’re so weird.”

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
And as promised - Kermit, Fozzie, and Gonzo performed The Beatles "This Boy" when they headed out to stage. Fozzie and Gonzo on guitar, Rowlf on piano, and I guess Animal on drums (hadn't even thought of that). Three part harmony, with Kermit taking John's chorus.

Originally, I intended the second section of the second verse for Kermit to look at Gonzo (the line, "Though he may want you too") as an in-joke, but obviously cause I didn't do it, you all didn't get to see that.

:halo: Saw-ry.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Is a good update, you show your chops when it comes to frog and pig dynamics. Now could you please post more of the gofer and poolgirl relationship? Zank you. :ouch:

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
To your day, here is the entire tenth chapter!

And for the Count, not only have I started with some go-fer, pool girl romance, but I've ended the chapter with it too.

One more chapter and an epilogue and this bad boy is done. And you know what means!

:concern: You're getting back to that epic mystery starring me and the pig of my dreams?

That's the one.

:mad: What did you say, freak boy?

Okay, come on now. No fighting till I get to your fic. Here's chap 10!

*note - Margie here sounds a bit like Ellen Green in Little Shop.*

X.

With that week’s Muppet Show being an hour long, the thirty minute segments were broken up with an intermission, which immediately followed after a rather moving rendition of The Killers “Everything Will be Alright” by Robin. The song was actually a good one, not only considering Robin’s recent family troubles, but it fit his deepening voice as a budding tenor.

Amanda decided to stand to stretch her legs a bit and perhaps take a quick break to go speak to Bobo out front. Normally, at this point in the show, she’d wait until the last curtain calls before heading backstage to find Scooter, however because of the show length, she understood she’d have to wait for the whole show’s completion before she could her arms around him and kiss him thoroughly.

Maybe it was her thoughts alone that called the red head out on stage with Rowlf, as they discussed setting up the At the Dance number that would start the second half. Catching each other’s eyes, the two smiled shyly at each other, unable to convey exactly what they wanted for the time being, but knowing it would only be some time before they could be together again.

It was the first time Scooter had actively seen her in the light of the theater and he was again struck by how beautiful this woman was. She had dressed in almost the same outfit that had greeted him the first time the group had gone to Cool Pool for the second round of its pool tournament – black dress pants and a silky green blouse. The night hadn’t been too cold when she had arrived, but she knew she would be kicking herself for leaving her jacket in the car when she left.

Indicating that she was going out in the lobby, Amanda received an acknowledgement from the manager before blowing him a kiss and heading towards the auditorium’s doors. She took special care to move slowly, knowing full well that her boyfriend’s eyes watched her as she moved.

And true enough, Scooter’s eyes followed her steps as she headed up the aisle; Rowlf only shook his head before prodding his young friend with a nudge and well timed, “Eyes above the waist there, Kid.”

“I can look at my girlfriend any way I want to,” came the retort.

The pianist chuckled. “Forty-five minutes and you can look at her any way you want. With or without clothing.”

Sending a glare towards the dog, Scooter fought to keep down the blush that rose on his cheeks. “Really?” he deadpanned. “Really, Rowlf? Sometimes I wonder if you spend too much time with Gonzo.”

“Please,” Rowlf huffed. “Haven’t you heard? We’ve decided that you’re old enough to be corrupted and now, since there’s none of that pesky adolescence to worry about, we all figured no time like the present.”

“I’ll only concede to this on one condition.”

“Which is?”

“Do I get to equally corrupt Robin?”

Rowlf shrugged. “If you can get around Kermit,” he said.

“Please.” This time, it was the red head who huffed. “If I get Piggy on board, Kermit’s on board. I can be very persuasive.”

“Good luck then.”

[hr]

The second half of the Valentine’s Special started with an orchestra feature, though it was more jazz band than orchestra. Nigel, who had wanted to do an instrumental piece that wasn’t a rock song for a long time, had suggested a number of different jazz standards that could be done with their group, as long as he was able to pull in some additional members.

Luckily, the Muppets were a talent bunch of folk and had perfected a roster of multi-talented people. While the orchestra did have instrumentalists, many of them did double duty doing other things; for this piece, the standard “I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm” as performed by the popular Benny Goodman band from the 1930s and 40s, Nigel had asked a number of people to fill in for the purpose of having at least the standard number of people.

The rhythm section, as per usual, featured Floyd on bass, Rowlf on piano, and Animal on drums; within the trumpet section, Lips filled the middle seat on first trumpet, with Bobby Benson holding the position to the lead trumpet’s right on second trumpet, and Horace Spielman rounding out third trumpet and sitting to Lips’ left.

The trombone line sat directly in front of the trumpets, with Corey ‘T-Bone’ Bass seated in the middle on first trombone, Janice taking position on second trombone, and Muttons Bell taking third.

In front of the trombone line was the sax section, which was actually relatively smaller than their brass and rhythm sections. Zoot of course was the lead and only alto sax player, with Simon and Richie Dell on tenor and baritone sax respectively, leaving Nigel to take clarinet, which was what he had wanted in the first place.

Usually the At the Dance sketches were featured primarily, with the band playing slightly in the background, but for a change of pace – and to let Nigel have his feature – Kermit decided that they could do the two at the same time. So while the band began to play, the dancers danced around, waiting for their pre-appointed times in which to chime in.

Robin, who never got to participate in the first show’s ATD skits, had happily agreed to be a part of this season’s skit. Ironically, in one of those art imitates life situations, a statement by Piggy and Robin’s subsequent retort were being featured within that night’s skit.

“So Robbie, dear,” Piggy began, as she and her partner – Robin the Frog – twirled around the dance floor. “How does it feel to be dancing with a beautiful, mature woman?”

“I don’t know, Aunt Piggy,” the young frog replied. “Is there one around here I could dance with?” The pig’s first reaction was to step, hard, on her partner’s foot. Grimacing in pain, Robin muttered, “This seemed to hurt less in rehearsal.”

Fozzie, who was also knew to the ATD sketches, had been partnered up with Margie, one of the new chorus girls. She was a pretty raven haired girl who may have had more hair than brain in her head; she also a particularly high pitched voice that was tinged with an east coast accent.

“Hey Margie,” the bear began, staring at her dreamily. “Do you believe in love at first sight?”

“Sure!” the girl exclaimed. “I fell in love just the other day!”

“You did?” asked Fozzie.

“Yeah,” she replied. “At Neiman Marcus. The salesman there sold me the most perfect dress.”

“So you started dating him?”

“Who?”

“The salesman.”

“Why would I want to date the salesman?” Margie asked, incredulously. “It was the dress I fell in love with!”

And so went the sketch and the number, which were both rousing successes.

After a skit featuring Link trying to win back the love of his life – which turned out to be a record of ‘Row, Row, Row Your Boat’ – and another dance number by the Delvish Dancers, Kermit and Piggy were up to beat with their rendition of “I’ve Got You Under My Skin”.

As with trying to only spend five minutes alone with each other, Kermit and Piggy never seemed to perform any piece of theirs the way it had been in rehearsal. In rehearsal, they had either been straight professionals, landing on their marks, taking their cues, the whole nine yards; on stage, however, in front of an audience, all bets were off.

From the start, Piggy ramped up her vamping to eleven by consisting sending seductive glances at her partner or running a hand across his shoulders; Kermit, for his part, tried to play the long suffering boyfriend, who couldn’t believe that their ‘affair could go so well’. The two already gave off flirtatious innuendo when they weren’t meaning to, which meant when they actually did mean for it to happen, it could sometimes catch one or the other by surprise.

For instance, during the chorus, Piggy decided that just standing and looking fabulous the way she had in rehearsal just wouldn’t cut it for the performance, so she felt that moving her hips to the instrumental parts was perfectly acceptable. That of course distracted Kermit.

Not to be outdone, the frog one upped her when, after she had walked passed him singing the song title and running her hand across his shoulders as she did, he grabbed her hand and dipped her, singing to her as he did, before releasing her just before the second chorus. That actually managed to stop Piggy for a few minutes.

Being a professional of course, Piggy managed to recover just in time to sing her line.

Ultimately, the playfulness of the song, coupled with the obviously playful and flirty reactions that Kermit and Piggy gave it made it one of the highlights of the evening.

That is, before Robin came up to do his second song of the night.

As Piggy had predicted, the younger female members of the audience – whom she suspected had to also be friends from Robin’s high school – were easily enthralled with the way the young frog sang his song. Robin didn’t attempt to hide the fact that he was obviously playing to the female members of the audience; with the Muppet show orchestra accompanying him, Robin – decked out in the cream suit that he originally rehearsed in – stood on stage with just a mic, his looks, and his voice and that was enough.

The troubling thing to Kermit was that his nephew hadn’t been so overt in rehearsals, even if their own female members had gotten up in the appeal of the teenager.

“I see a certain talk in that kid’s future,” Gonzo murmured to Piggy, as they watched the boy from backstage.

“He had better hope his father had that talk with him already,” the diva whispered back.

“I hear the frog’s been giving out talks all week.”

“Why?” she questioned. “Did you need that talk, Gonzo?”

“Please,” he huffed. “I perfected that talk.”

“Never know,” she sangsong. “New wife and all.”

“Thank you for your concern, Miss Piggy,” he replied. “But I can assure you, I have everything in hand.”

Piggy just looked at him, a knowing smirk coming over her lips. It took the weirdo only a second to know he had walked in to an ill placed comment and he grimaced in giving up the ground he had been trying to capture. “Hold on,” he said, as she started to move off. “Say your line again, I got a good one this time.”

“Nope,” she denied. “Already been established.”

“Oh come on!”

“Sorry.”

“That’s so not fair.”

“Next time, think before you speak.”

[hr]

The show was coming to a close and Amanda’s excitement grew. She had been observing the show and while enjoying it immensely, she had wanted to see Scooter again. His note had said that he was going to perform two songs in that night’s show and from what she had seen so far, everyone had at least one song in both acts, meaning that his second song would have to be coming up soon.

That didn’t mean there may have been an issue; certainly, the Muppet Show was known for its unpredictable cast, crew, and stage performances. Where one act should have been on, it could easily be placed with another. It was near closing time and she hadn’t seen the second song of his; with an hour long show, maybe they didn’t have enough time for it.

She had sat through numerous songs about love and loss, laughed at stabs to the romantic comedy, and had decided that Walter needed to perform in Carnegie Hall, but it didn’t compare to the fact that she had been waiting on pins and needles to see Scooter and no matter what the act, Amanda was hooked on one red headed stage manager.

The red curtains had been closed after the last act and Kermit, still dressed in his tieless suit with jacket from his last performance, came out to end the show. “Well, that seems to be the end of another Muppet Show…”

The audience actually sighed and awed at the prospect of having to go home after such an enjoyable evening. “What?” the frog asked. “You want one more song?”

The audience cheered, which was quite a departure from what they usually did.

Looking behind himself at the curtain, Kermit turned back to the theater and said, “Well…I think we could probably do one more song.” Again, the audience cheered. “This last song is actually dedicated to one of you tonight.” The audience murmured, looking around, trying to see who the lucky person is.

“I obviously cannot divulge who the lucky person is,” the frog continued, despite the sadness and muttering from the people before him. “But we’re really hoping you know who you are. And so without further ado…”

Kermit quickly left the stage, just as the curtain rose to the sounds of music. Scooter, now without the red vest, having replaced it with a red jacket instead, stood in front of the very same mic that Robin had been singing into earlier. Behind him, the fish quartet known as the Gills Brothers, were doing backup as the music swelled and then stopped.

Baby, I’m yours,” the red head began, a bit tentatively.

And I’ll be yours,

Until the stars fall from the sky.

Yours, until the rivers all run dry.

In other words,

Until I die.”

Amanda had to bite her lip, stopping herself from ultimately crying out loud or worse, standing up and shouting that she loved him. If she had ever doubted how Scooter felt about her, he had gone far and above what she expected he would do to express that. None of her previous boyfriends had ever thought to perform for her and certainly not in the context that he had done that night.

And she did understand. Oh, her poor Scooter! She could easily see him, flustered and shy and nervous, wondering if the songs he had chosen actively conveyed into words how he felt. And she couldn’t wait to answer him, to tell him that yes, she got it. She got that bells ringing and birds singing didn’t have the same random meaning anymore and she certainly, she was most definitely his.

“I’m gonna stay right here,

By your side,

Do my best to keep you satisfied.

Nothing in the world could drive me away,

Everyday, you’ll hear me say…

Oh, she was head over heels for him and had been for some time now. She hadn’t been kidding with her father in regards to Scooter potentially being his son in law and father of his grandchildren one day; now, she may have gotten a little too far ahead of herself, but she knew what she wanted. And that person was Scooter Grosse.

“Baby, I’m yours.

And I’ll be yours

Until two and two is three

Yours, until the mountains crumble to the sea

In other words, until eternity.

Baby, I’m yours.

Behind her, she could hear the young girls whisper and wonder just who this special person was and if that person was truly in the audience. And she was convinced she heard of them ask if Scooter had a girlfriend, because when he was dressed like that and sang like, he was absolutely dreamy.

Amanda couldn’t agree more.

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
And your musical selections -

I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm - Benny Goodman Orchestra

I've Got You Under My Skin - Louis Prima and Keely Smith (this is actually the much shorter version than I imagined for this, but it does showcase what often happened between Louis and Keely (who were married) and that they sometimes went off script)

Baby, I'm Yours - Arctic Monkeys (this is actually a cover of the original, which was sung by a woman (whose name escapes me), but when I was listening to it, I thought it a perfect song in the case of a male singer. And it's actually one of the best covers I've heard from anyone)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thankees. *Leaves big chocolate brownies for WMG.

I feel like I should know what song Scooter was singing there in the second half of the show.
*Recognizes you "borrowing" from KG for the performance of I've Got You Under My Skin.
:boo: Ah! That number scared the pants right off of me!
:sleep: Are you sure you didn't forget to put them on?

Is glad that Robin's getting some of the spotlight. Cute, cute reference to his classmates in there.

And ju know whats I loves of this chappy. Amanda has gone to that exclusive group of OC's I absolutely enjoy.
Please post more when possible.

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Thankees. *Leaves big chocolate brownies for WMG.
BROWNIES! *glomp*

I feel like I should know what song Scooter was singing there in the second half of the show.
Well, the original is by Barbara Lewis, whom I was trying to think of earlier. The Arctic Monkeys version, which I presented here, is a cover of the song.

*Recognizes you "borrowing" from KG for the performance of I've Got You Under My Skin.
Arooo?

I don't remember them doing that song in KG. Are you perhaps thinking of "Baby, It's Cold Outside"? Now, with that said, yes the Muppet Show has done IGYUMS, but with monsters.

Is glad that Robin's getting some of the spotlight. Cute, cute reference to his classmates in there.

And ju know whats I loves of this chappy. Amanda has gone to that exclusive group of OC's I absolutely enjoy.
Please post more when possible.
Robin's thing probably is 'borrowing' from the Queen of Ush-Gush cause I really did like Err-A-Parent (which is, to date, my favorite of her finished stuff).

And most importantly, I'm glad Amanda has grown on you and in your heart. Looks like you've got her under your skin! LOL Which is good, cause obviously, you're gonna be seeing a lot of Miss Amanda (I have 4 Ball through 1 Ball planned, so you had better like her. :mad:)

Got some stuff to do, but I will hopefully have something later tonight or tomorrow!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Heh... Yes, they did Baby It's Cold Outside in KG, what I meant was how you presented Kermit and Piggy during I've Got You Under My Skin here that reminded me of the former.

You say you liked Err A-Parent? Well, I sort of drew upon that for my Junebugs one-shot. *Is aware that the October entry will require massive plotpoints to include everything I want to show off.

Barbara Louis, knew I knew it. Ah yes, the woman who babysat for Dick Clark's kids. *Another useless fact stuck in my head from when I used to listen to Rock Roll & Remember on Sunday afternoons.

Like I said, post when you can chica.

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Heh... Yes, they did Baby It's Cold Outside in KG, what I meant was how you presented Kermit and Piggy during I've Got You Under My Skin here that reminded me of the former.
Ah! Okay, I got you. That could be true, though I was thinking of Prima and Smith, though in a more flirty than funny way.

You say you liked Err A-Parent?
Yes, I do. In fact, it was one of the very first stories I read when I first joined and was, partly, the reason why I decided to join the forum and actually write that first story of Monday Morning Meeting.

So, Aunt Ru, where ever you are, this is for you... *hugz*

Barbara Louis, knew I knew it. Ah yes, the woman who babysat for Dick Clark's kids. *Another useless fact stuck in my head from when I used to listen to Rock Roll & Remember on Sunday afternoons.
I...did not know that. I have also listened to RR&R, when I still had, you know a radio and loved that show. Here's a tidbit - my friend Shannon was once babysat by Davy Jones. Yes, THE Davy Jones of The Monkees.

You'll understand why she's my favorite person.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
The "Davey Jones", the one who died last year. Good, now I have some plotting regarding haunters. Decisions, decisions. :batty: