Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Slackbot

Reaction score
Huh! I did some research into Sonic releases before I posted, but I didn't find those games. I stand corrected.

Sonic Popcorn Shop sounds like an even weirder idea than Baby Pac-Man, which was a lousy video game attached to a lame pinball game.

I've heard they didn't use Mario because a) Nintendo asked for too much money or b) they couldn't find a way to use that high-profile a character in the story. I have a pet theory that the game Fix-it Felix Jr. was meant to remind people both of Crazy Climber and Donkey Kong--Look at Ralph in sprite form and tell me he doesn't remind you of Kong from the first game--so it'd just be confusing to include the characters they're, heh, aping.

I will be so disappointed if this doesn't have good box office on opening weekend.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sonic Popcorn Shop sounds like an even weirder idea than Baby Pac-Man, which was a lousy video game attached to a lame pinball game.
But you get your choice of terrible, stale popcorn flavors. And the funny thing is, it has a microwave attached. You don't even have to play the game! How come we never get cool stuff like that in our arcades?

I've heard they didn't use Mario because a) Nintendo asked for too much money or b) they couldn't find a way to use that high-profile a character in the story. I have a pet theory that the game Fix-it Felix Jr. was meant to remind people both of Crazy Climber and Donkey Kong--Look at Ralph in sprite form and tell me he doesn't remind you of Kong from the first game--so it'd just be confusing to include the characters they're, heh, aping.
Well, it could also be the fact that

But other than that, it sounds like a mixture of all three. I don't think Nintendo would have wanted a silent background cameo, or that it would justify the amount of money for one... but there should be a statue or background poster with him on it. Shame we didn't get a Roger Rabbit-esque sequence between Mario and Sonic, but we have those Olympics games, so it's not quite as special as it could have been anyway.

And the Wreck it Ralph Donkey Kong connection goes as far as the arcade cabinet looking exactly the same, and the video game company logo being an exact replica of Nintendo's. I'm sure they also had to give Nintendo money for that too.

But Capcom wants Street Fighter plastered ALL over this film. Even in the movie posters. This could be because A) they want a good movie associated with the characters for a change (OVA's don't count) and B) That's the ONLY Capcom license they think Americans like. Mega Man's like their red headed step son now, but you can't punt a football without hitting Street Fighter merchandise somewhere.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
Hey Guys, There's A Remake From Disney Via Touchstone & Dreamworks!
Called The Delivery Man And I Think Taking Henry Selick's Film Place!!
Anyways It's Scheduled For 10/4/2013

Oscarfan

Reaction score
So, Wreck It Ralph was awesome! Very creative and funny. And the villain; in retrospect, I should've seen that coming, but it was a total surprise for me. And here's a clue to my favorite joke (provided you've seen it already).

And the Paperman short at the beginning was very sweet, quite funny and well animated and directed.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I saw Wreck-it Ralph. My verdict: YES. Sweet mother of monkey milk, yes yes yes. The '80s video game nerd in me was having a great old time with all the gags and references. There were little kids in the audience who didn't know a thing about the games; they just loved the movie. It was fun, great characters (I was all set to hate Vanellope, but that did not happen), great mix of styles.

If you go, stay through the credits. They're lots of 8-bit fun, and there's a great gag at the very very very end. If you're an '80s arcade nerd like me, you'll even know the level number they were showing.

(The ReBoot fan in me now wants to draw Ralph green and unshaven.)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ralph's my favorite animated film of the year. Even more so than Paranorman. If it wasn't for Avengers, it would be my favorite movie of the year, period. Other than the fact they couldn't clear the rights back up to Dr. Wily in time being the only sort of disappointment in the film, but I'm annoyed at Capcom for that. Though i did love how Street Fighter was plastered all over the film. Shame they didn't have Dr. Eggman talk. Sounds like they got the current Sonic VA to do his small amount of lines, though. Or a reasonable facsimile.

I'm pretty surprised and happy that the more obscure video games actually had more relevance to the plot. Tapper and Q-Bert... but especially Tapper. I used to love playing that game at the Salem Willows Arcade (they don't have it anymore, though).

Also kinda a weird surprised... there's almost as many candy brands mentioned in the Sugar Rush game as there are brand name video game characters in the film. It's not too distracting, though. I LOVED the Oreo bit.

And thankfully, at least according to the website, there's a LOT of great merchandising.

robodog

Reaction score
Yeah, there's WIR Merchandise. I've been seeing ads for it on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network. It's done by Thinkway which also had the Toy Story licsense at one point.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've seen the general retail stuff. It's kinda overpriced (8 bucks for a >4" figure?), and I always rather the Disney Store originals.

But that general release stuff, no matter how much it is, is selling. I hope this means the film's a BO smash. I really hope to see a sequel. After all, the game was called "Fix it Felix Jr." Which leads me to ask... what happened to Fix it Felix Sr.?