Do celebrities charge autographs now?

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Wow, you met Kaukonen and Casady! That's pretty awesome. I love their work with the Airplane, all that heavy guitar and dark atmosphere on "The Ballad of You and Me and Pooneil" and "Won't You Try".

mupcollector1

Reaction score
One of my biggest regrets in life is misplacing an autographed picture of Bob Barker that was given to me as a young, game show obsessed child. I think my parents wrote in the show's ticket address asking for an autograph for me and I got the picture that way.

More germane to the topic, I think it depends on the level of celebrity. I have seen several sports blogs where people try to obtain autographs of every player in a set of cards. Some athletes charge for the autograph, while some are content to send back the card without asking for anything in return.
I LOVE ERNEST MOVIES, I'm trying to get them all. Ernest P. Wardall or whatever his last name was, he was such a loveable character. I see this pattern a lot in comedic archtypes, the loveable creative energetic characters who are usually classified as ditsy or airheaded sometimes, but still loveable kind of like Harley Quinn and Harpo Marx, it's this and the wacky tricker (Bugs Bunny, Woody Woodpecker, Groucho Marx) that I do ton of research on. People archtypes head back years into literature. I can just talk off subject about it hours on end. lol Yes, it's definately this comedic personality study that's dear to my heart. :smile:

So this guy you guys were mentioning, was he that wacky chef from Ernest Goes To Camp, "Chicken....POT...Pie, Fenachitti Alfrado....First the Fenachitti, then a little chef named Alfrado." then throws this chef doll into the machine resulting into a splattered mess along with Lopsters. lol Probably my favorite scenes in the movie next to Ernest being shot in the air after unclogging the toilet. lol
I remember The Simpsons satirized them all the time. One I remember was Sideshow Bob laughing histarically when Ernest says "Vern, my heads' stuck in the toilet again." and Homer says "Oh come on, it's really not that funny." or something. lol But Simpsons later got Jim Varney on the show. As much as I disagree with Homer's line, I also appreciate spontanous mockery and satire all together. I'm a regular Mad Magazine reader. lol

Too Bad Jim Varney gone though, it would be nice to see more Ernest. Was it Touchtone pictures who owns him? I written a quarry letter to them one trying to get a PG rated slapstick comedy script out there, something to bring back the family slapstick comedy....And got rejected because it was "Unsolicited Material". But it's nothing I haven't heard before. lol

mupcollector1

Reaction score
it mentioned one in particular who has body guards who prevent fans from asking.
I might know who your talking about but I'll probably not name them. I might get sued. lol

But funny you mentioned that, one of the hero's I meet at this local comic con, had this young guy next to him. Inbetween High School / College. Teen - early 20s, guessing. Orange shirt that says "STAFF", and had a big beard, glasses, long hair. Young guy. And very serious person. I asked to get my DVDs signed and this hero of mine said "Sure." with a smile. And this staff was stairing at me counting my DVDs, "YOU WANT ALL THESE SIGNED?" he said snapping at me. And I casually said "Yes please." He said, "That'll be $20 each. So you got 20 21, Let's see $40, $80.." And I said, "I'll just get three of them signed." And my hero there said casually "Sure, no prob, that's cool." And this staff guys tells him quietly "Want me to charge $20 per DVD?" and my hero says "Nah, half. $10 each." "Are you really sure you want to do that?" "Yeah, no big deal!" lol Totally nice of him. And what's great is they don't charge you for questions and advice. It was a good thing that Staff guy basicly lefted me alone afterwords. But yeah, WHY A STAFF MEMBER? I can't tell if that person was suppose to be body gaurd or calulating money for autographs perhaps to split between the hero there and the local Comic Con. Totally bizarre. The other person I meet, NO STAFF! But like I said, I can't complain too much. I had fun, got some good advice, and if the money helps them in some way or another, I'm happy to help out. :smile:

brkndwnbus

Reaction score
I was at the Baltimore ComicCon this year and got autographs from Scott Snyder, Greg Capullo, Peter Tomasi, Roger Langridge, David Finch...and didn't pay for any. Some of the artists would charge for sketches, but not just for autographs.

I don't think I'd pay just for an autograph or photo. Stan Lee was there and charged. I passed on that.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So this guy you guys were mentioning, was he that wacky chef from Ernest Goes To Camp, "Chicken....POT...Pie, Fenachitti Alfrado....First the Fenachitti, then a little chef named Alfrado." then throws this chef doll into the machine resulting into a splattered mess along with Lopsters. lol Probably my favorite scenes in the movie next to Ernest being shot in the air after unclogging the toilet. lol
No, Bobby wasn't in Ernest Goes to Camp. The chefs, Jake and Eddy, were played by Galaird Sartain (who played Bobby's fat brother Chuck in Ernest Saves Christmas, Ernest Goes to Jail, and Hey Vern It's Ernest) and Daniel Butler (who also played Earl the barber, Ernest's tongue, and a robot on Hey Vern It's Ernest, one of the animal controll officers in Ernest Saves Christmas, a waiter in Ernest Goes to Jail, and the sherrif in Ernest Scared Stupid). Bobby is the old guy who's usually silent, often getting one word/line per movie.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
No, Bobby wasn't in Ernest Goes to Camp. The chefs, Jake and Eddy, were played by Galaird Sartain (who played Bobby's fat brother Chuck in Ernest Saves Christmas, Ernest Goes to Jail, and Hey Vern It's Ernest) and Daniel Butler (who also played Earl the barber, Ernest's tongue, and a robot on Hey Vern It's Ernest, one of the animal controll officers in Ernest Saves Christmas, a waiter in Ernest Goes to Jail, and the sherrif in Ernest Scared Stupid). Bobby is the old guy who's usually silent, often getting one word/line per movie.
I think I remember him. He kind of reminds of that old guy from Benny Hill. The guy who Benny would tap on the back of his head all the time. lol

brkndwnbus

Reaction score
How much was he offering?
I'm not remembering 100%, but for a photo and one signed item, it was between $50-$75. There were some options to add on, too, that could have made it more.

His line was long, but for Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo, who were signing together, it was even longer at times.