Elmo Muppeteer Kevin Clash resigns from Sesame Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squigiman

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
I've been keeping quiet on here, for the most part, not feeling like I had anything particular to add, but I do feel like I must echo Jamie and others in trying to keep the discussion here civilized. This even pertains to when talking about the accusers. We may be on Kevin's side, hoping for the best, but the truth is we don't know the facts. I am not particularly fond of any of them, and I do hope this ends for the best, and Kevin is vindicated from malicious attacks on his character, but when/if that happens, it won't be for a while, if we are even privy to it, at that time.

No matter what, calling names and disparaging physical appearance is below us. I am amongst those that are beyond upset and even disgusted by all of this tabloid stuff, especially as more graphic details emerge. I would also strongly caution anyone sharing information or even links to realize that there is likely a wide age-range on the readership, here, and try to exercise some caution, there. We don't need to add fuel to the fire, nor do we need to bring some of this garbage to the younger fans on here, who might be protected from hearing the details from other less-well-intentioned sites by their parents, etc.

I just thought I'd put in my two cents, as far as all that goes. On a side-note, I am glad to see Brian stick up for him, but he was also wise to not further comment, and not giving TMZ anything to really run with. Thanks for hearing me out.

-Zach

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
I've been keeping quiet on here, for the most part, not feeling like I had anything particular to add, but I do feel like I must echo Jamie and others in trying to keep the discussion here civilized. This even pertains to when talking about the accusers. We may be on Kevin's side, hoping for the best, but the truth is we don't know the facts. I am not particularly fond of any of them, and I do hope this ends for the best, and Kevin is vindicated from malicious attacks on his character, but when/if that happens, it won't be for a while, if we are even privy to it, at that time.

No matter what, calling names and disparaging physical appearance is below us. I am amongst those that are beyond upset and even disgusted by all of this tabloid stuff, especially as more graphic details emerge. I would also strongly caution anyone sharing information or even links to realize that there is likely a wide age-range on the readership, here, and try to exercise some caution, there. We don't need to add fuel to the fire, nor do we need to bring some of this garbage to the younger fans on here, who might be protected from hearing the details from other less-well-intentioned sites by their parents, etc.

I just thought I'd put in my two cents, as far as all that goes. On a side-note, I am glad to see Brian stick up for him, but he was also wise to not further comment, and not giving TMZ anything to really run with. Thanks for hearing me out.

-Zach
Hear, hear. 100% right on all accounts.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I'm not saying that anyone shouldn't be justly punished, as I believe they should be. And I'm not saying that we should say that Kevin's actions were OK (if they would be true). That's not what forgiveness is. Forgiveness is acknowledging someone's wrongs as what they are, yet still having enough faith in a person to know that they were truly sorry for their actions, and not hold them against him forever. What I'm saying here doesn't have to do with punishment, and they still should serve that punishment, but I'm saying that we as a person still can say "look, we know you committed these wrongs, but we still believe you are a good person, and do forgive them."
Yeah, but if they've done something that horrific, they're NOT a good person, that's my point. There's something not right in the head. They don't deserve to be forgiven. If someone sadly turns to drugs or something like that, that's a mistake, and an illness that can be helped. If someone is sick in the head and murders, abuses, etc. another human being, I'm sorry there's no forgiveness there.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Sure Hit me up I'm always here....

I'm not really worried about the voice or even the personality of Elmo's new prefromer. My concern is all of the charity/mentoring/teaching work that Kevin did with Elmo, and I just hope that whomeever takes over they will be able, and weilling to do the same.
I guess it shouldn't be too hard. Look how good a job Steve has done with Kermit for the past 22 years or Eric with Piggy, Fozzie, etc. I guess the trick is to find someone with that kind of talent. I mean, we'll all miss Kevin, but if recasting is inevitable, then we just need to have faith that they'll find a performer that can do the best job that he can or that she can, whatever the case may be.

Hubert

Reaction score
Yeah, but if they've done something that horrific, they're NOT a good person, that's my point. There's something not right in the head. They don't deserve to be forgiven. If someone sadly turns to drugs or something like that, that's a mistake, and an illness that can be helped. If someone is sick in the head and murders, abuses, etc. another human being, I'm sorry there's no forgiveness there.
I dunno, I don't want to turn this into a debate, but personally I believe that the circumstances of forgiveness should be unconditional, and it shouldn't really matter how terrible the crime was. I'm not just speaking this in Kevin's case, but in any case in general.

I do know, though, that if these allegations do turn out to be true, I will be willing to forgive him, and I encourage others to do the same.

beaker

Reaction score
Why not? I think it's a great thing to have Muppets at conventions. It gets more people to see these characters and performers in person, they have stuff to promote so it's easy exposure for whatever they're promoting, and it's just fun! Not to mention Comic Cons, horror cons, etc. are never about the one genre anymore, so why not go to a place where you can see everything you like?
Whoah, did he really just say the Muppets should not appear at conventions???

As someone who has spent a lot of money and time going to quite a lot of conventions in my travels and AS someone who would travel anywhere in the world if there was an official Muppet convention again I find that remark truly bizarre.

The Muppets/JHC/SW need to be AT MORE conventions. I have a hard time believing D'Snowth really said that. Muppets and nerd gatherings are a match made and heaven.
I was sad I didn't really see any muppety stuff at this year's San Diego Comic Con tho.

beaker

Reaction score
I like to think that Muppet Freaks are a lot more sophisticated, and certainly a lot more SANE than some of the freaks that show up at those conventions. *shudders*
Funny, I can't even count how many people at conventions light up with joy when they see me with Muppet related shirts or items at comic/anime/game/sci fi conventions I go to. Have you even been to a major geek related convention? I remember an almost hour line a few years ago just for people to get a signed Fraggle Rock and Boom! Muppet show poster from the writers and artists.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Whoah, did he really just say the Muppets should not appear at conventions???
Yes I did. As a Seinfeld fan, you should know that such a combination is the equivilant of a George being divided amongst itself, and not being able to stand, as worlds are colliding.
again I find that remark truly bizarre.
Again, I find these conventions and the people who attend them truly bizarre. And this is coming from a self-admitted eccentric, but we're talking BEYOND eccentric here.
I have a hard time believing D'Snowth really said that.
I don't recall saying "that", I might have said "that", but I'm sure if I did, I would have said, "thaaaaaaat"... :confused:
Have you even been to a major geek related convention?
Well, there's actually a different between nerds and geeks, and I believe I fall into the nerd category, not the geek category. And while I haven't ever actually attended such conventions, I've seen more than enough from other people's videos and captures and what have you to know I wouldn't last a minute at one of those things without running and screaming, "GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!" I mean these conventions seem equivient of being in a funny farm, especially when they involve cosplayers.

beaker

Reaction score
I'm a Muppet fan like everyone else here.

Second, you're not engaging in a high-minded exchange of ideas if you are calling people names. It's childish to do that. There can absolutely be an intelligent discussion of this, but I don't think it can ever happen as long as people are dismissing someone at first blush because he appears feminine.

And even if you have no respect for them, have respect for the forum. Have respect for yourself. Have respect for those who are transgender or gay or intersex or who are genderqueer. You have a right to be upset. But you don't have a right not to be disagreed with.

I'm not the only one who feels the way I do here. I may be the most prominent voice right now on the forum calling for an end to name-calling and victim blaming and anything that might even be remotely construed as homophobic. But I'm not alone in feeling this way.
I agree. I find it wildly demeaning to refer to someone as "Dude Who Looks Like A Lady". His name is Cecil. Whether he is simply looking to falsely harm and cash in is an entirely separate story. He may identify as genderqueer or transgender, or simply identify with the aesthetics of a more feminine nature.

My personal feeling is that yes, all these accusations may very well be true. But I in no way will let this taint my views on Clash regardless of how they try and paint him as a 'predator'. It's possible he thought Cecil was 18 at the time. I am a bit conflicted, as while I do not whole heartedly doubt the claims of these young men(I feel sorry for people still in the naive bubble of hoping it's not true) I have to put it into context. These were older teens on a gay sex chat line(sex chat as in romance/flirting/graphic sexual talk with the intention of meeting f2f) The conflicted part comes from the fact that if, say this was a Senator or maybe a musician I wouldnt be as quick to defend.

But weve all come to know Clash. Ive met the man, Ive been in awe of his work since the late 80's, Ive seen him perform several times, I was teary eyed watching Being Elmo. Ive seen countless clips on youtube of Clash visible with Elmo truly giving his all to entertain and reach people across the world.

My only criticism of Clash is that he may not have been there for his kids time wise, a problem many celebrities do. And yes, I think Clash gave into severe lonelyness and made grossly inappropriate decisions in his personal life regarding the courtship of what may have technically been minors. But I can't in good conscience let that taint how I see the man, his work or his heart. I 100% believe these young men when they say they were sexually abused growing up. And I think New York gay teens are a bit more wordly for better or worse than say, a 15 year old kid in Suburban nebraska. I have no doubt Clash may have thought they were of age. The cynical side of me thinks this is some sort of Republican plot...I kid of course. But it very well may simply be a lover's spat that has escalated into a revealing glimpse at a dark period in a brilliant man's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.