TV Tropes

Yuna Leonhart

Reaction score
I often read through TV Tropes, too. Sometimes I just spend hours there... sometimes? Nah, often.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Love this site! I was reading their articles about lost films and wiped television shows the other day, as that's one of my favorite nerdy aspects of entertainment culture and they do a great job explaining what shows don't exist anymore.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Haha! I was reading around the tropes tonight, and I came across one that my work definitely falls into without question: "Everything's Nuttier With Squirrels". XD

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I must say, I recently registered an account myself, and have contributing as much knowledge as I can think of.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I cannot believe there's actually a trope for purple eyes... that's another one my own work falls into... now I'm getting even more curious...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I take it that whatever rules TV Tropes has aren't exactly strictly enforced or anything... I've noticed they have a rule to not post anything in the first person, yet I see a LOT of entries scattered throughout the site that are typed in first person, "I always thought this was weird", "In this troper's opinion", "My favorite example is..." etc.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
At this point in time, I have to ask, when did TV Tropes become so picky-choosy and uptight? I mean, all of the sudden, there's so much you CAN'T do any more... were they having issues with vandalism like Wikipedia or something? Like, you can't add this, you add that, this has to be moved to YMMV, this is too personal for YMMV, tropes are no longer named after people, tropes can't be too sarcastic or cynical, this is no longer a trope, yadda-yadda-yadda... what happened?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've been looking at the website constantly for the last few months, and it is a great site. I've considered joining, but still haven't.

Some of my favorite tropes: Serious Business, Periphery hatedom, the freelance shame squad, karma houdini, the reason you suck!, and adults are useless (I've spoken thiis phrase a few times lately).

A few months ago I thought about tropes that fit into my life. I wonder if anybody else has.

I also thought it'd be funny if there was a TV Tropes-based TV series, showing various sketches representing each trope. If every trope could make it into the series, that'd be a feat (of course it migth need to deliberately include something that couldn't be shown again in reruns/DVD to fit into the "keep circulating the tapes" trope).

Sometimes pages seem to mention certain guidelines but users seem to break the rules. Like for the trope "never bareheaded", it says to limit it to characters who are never, without exception, seen without a hat, except maybe once, but then the main characters from South Park are listed, and they have all been seen without their hats more than once (and Cartman is frequently seen without his). Though it seems that in the first few seasons their hair was never shown at all.

I've noticed that the "Keep Circulating the Tapes" trope seems to list everything that's either not commercially available, every series not complete on DVD, or even out of print things. Part of me thinks "really?" for some of the examples. Many of them provide (or speculate on) reasons why some things are not available on DVD (or shown on TV anymore), but then there are cases that only note that some things have never been released on video/DVD without saying why (I guess it's a little cool that they note shows not available for the fans who may want to know if it's available), sometimes mentions movies that are long out-of-print or have even been released on VHS but not DVD, and often lists shows where a few seasons were released and then left unfinished (for now). It's probably still there, but before the announcement for Sesame Street: Old School Volume 3 was made, this page mentioned that only a small amount of Sesame Street episodes from before a certain date were on DVD (it's probably still noted, because there's still a large amount of unreleased episodes), but I still find it a little puzzling that a daily television series that's been on for so many years was noted.

And it seems like people can't alter entries or delete wrong information. Often if something outdated or incorrect is posted, another post will follow, correcting it or whatever.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I joined during the summer, and contributed quite a bit of info throughout, but again, for some reason, all of the sudden, they've really gotten really picky and uptight about almost everything
A few months ago I thought about tropes that fit into my life. I wonder if anybody else has.
I ain't gonna lie, I actually made myself a list of tropes that I feel applies to my work thus far.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
There's a lot of tropes I love that I'm glad they have names for, so I can refer to them as something (like Noodle Implements and Insane Troll Logic).