Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oogieloves got a mention on the cartoon version of MAD. The Life of Pi parody said something about him being in terrible places before, and being one of the 10 people who saw the movie.

Seriously... if only it was 7 years earlier, they could have been part of the Barney Bunch. That's the most mileage those characters ever would have gotten.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Oogieloves got a mention on the cartoon version of MAD. The Life of Pi parody said something about him being in terrible places before, and being one of the 10 people who saw the movie.

Seriously... if only it was 7 years earlier, they could have been part of the Barney Bunch. That's the most mileage those characters ever would have gotten.
Life of Rhyme MAD - YouTube

The 2:13 section of the clip solidifies the moment the Oogies have fallen into the bottomless pit of obscurity......

mimitchi33

Reaction score
Life of Rhyme MAD - YouTube

The 2:13 section of the clip solidifies the moment the Oogies have fallen into the bottomless pit of obscurity......
That video reminded me of this:

But anyway, there are two reasons I came to post in this thread after 2 months of no posts on this thread:
1. In the past few months, I've seen two people watch the movie in public. The first was while on vacation to Georgia-a kid leaving the mall had the DVD on in their DVD player. And at the newly opened Dairy Queen in town, a kid was watching it on their iPhone WITHOUT HEADPHONES, and man, was it annoying! Could this be a sign that this movie might become popular enough to get the two sequels in theaters?
2. The Oogieloves invasion isn't over yet. Carmike Cinemas is showing this movie again on August 31, 2013, 367 days after the original release date, for autistic children. And the DVD's not exclusive to Wal-Mart anymore: Lionsgate is releasing the DVD to other stores on July 16. Mostly, I've seen online retailers with this date, like FamilyVideo, but some major retailers like Barnes and Noble are also getting the DVD in on this date.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
TWO sequels? Perish the thought.

Today's cinema ALWAYS goes for FOUR movies in a series. :stick_out_tongue:

But on a serious note, that's what happens sometimes - a movie will do really poorly at the box office, but sometimes they become cult classics when they're released on VHS or DVD... I'd chalk up your encounters to a couple of coincidences though; those parents probably got the movie to babysit their kids.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As imbecilic or at least completely delusional as it was to release the thing theatrically, this really could have worked as a series of videos. I think that's the problem. The launch was overreaching, and it really needed to be a DTV series like all the cacophonous kiddy shows usually stem from. Yes, he may get an audience yet, but it shouldn't be anywhere near a movie screen.

And I wouldn't panic because they use it for a local special edition discount showing. It's probably true that there are going to be more kids in a single theater than there were the entire theatrical run.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
TWO sequels? Perish the thought.

Today's cinema ALWAYS goes for FOUR movies in a series. :stick_out_tongue:

But on a serious note, that's what happens sometimes - a movie will do really poorly at the box office, but sometimes they become cult classics when they're released on VHS or DVD... I'd chalk up your encounters to a couple of coincidences though; those parents probably got the movie to babysit their kids.
I know, People using the TV to babysit their kids happened on my vacation to Georgia. I plan on making a separate thread for this, just so I don't go off topic.

Anyway, about the thing Oogieloves was based off, My BedBugs, I have some surprising information about the show to share with you: they actually made TOYS for the show, according to information on a licensing website. It was one of the lucky few syndicated (not part of the normal line-up) PBS shows to do so. The toys included plush dolls (8 inch and 12 inch dolls, the latter of which came with a DVD of the episode "Gooby Looses A Tooth"), a card game, and a doll called "Hide And Seek Schnoozy", which used patented technology. There's been a lot of them on eBay recently.

Also, I found a My Bedbugs promo book. If there's one positive change Kenn made for the Oogieloves, it's how Ruffy looks. The original Ruffy looks as creepy, and makes the live-action Garbage Pail Kids look like rejected Pee-Wee's Playhouse characters! It also has everything you would need to know about the "original Oogieloves".

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know, People using the TV to babysit their kids happened on my vacation to Georgia. I plan on making a separate thread for this, just so I don't go off topic.
That's why there was a huge slide in the quality of preschool programming in such a short time. Old School Sesame fans don't seem to appreciate that fact, or even notice. There are times when you absolutely need to get a toddler out of the way, important phone calls, laundry... but preschool television franchises are more often than not based on babysitting kids.

That's why Sesame Street goes for some ribald humor. So the parents will actually pay attention. There have been a crop of shows that remedy that as well. Things are looking better, but Oogieloves was a step in the wrong direction. I think they wanted to try and make it as hip as Yo Gabba Gabba is, but without any of the things that make Gabba hip. At least, hip enough for Hipsters to watch with their kids.

robodog

Reaction score
And I still say that the Oogieloves look like something out of a nightmare. They look like characters that someone would write about in a creepy pasta if they were trying to rip off Candle Cove. Look at the face on the yellow one in that reaction and review image. It looks like the thing has murder on the brain but is unsuccessfully trying to conceal that fact.