Does anyone here worry.....?

wolfy

Reaction score
Would that be the same Gnu that used to be on the Muppet Show (oh, I can't remember if it was the Muppet Show!) that used to sing, "I'm a G-nu...how do you do?"

It was really cute, and my brain has a tendency to short-circuit when it's trying to remember something from so many years ago now I don't even know when it was, except perhaps in the 1970s...

Thanks to anyone who can help out with that bit of trivia!
wolfy

ScottMonster

Reaction score
I don't think so. The puppets on TGSC weren't connected to the muppets in any way. Though Kevin Clash was a puppeteer on that show, this was before his association with the Muppets. And the show premiered in 1980 or 81 and The Muppet Show had ended by that time so I don't think it's the same one you're thinking of. Our memories have a tendency to play tricks on us, especially when we try to recall something from childhood.:wink:

For anyone interested, I did a google search and found this website:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Theater/9266/tgscmain.htm

Amazing! I actually got the spelling of "Goriddle" right. (And yes he was indeed performed by Kevin Clash!) A few of the links on that page seem to be broken, but the pictures one seems to be working and you can see some decent screen caps of Gary Gnu.

DirthNader

Reaction score
Wow. Glad I wasn't the only one who remembers this show. I remeber being in the basement of my baby sitter with the other kids and watching this show. Of course that was in 78/79, but I remember singing along with the theme song. Happy days, ya know.

By the way, Happy Easter everybody:big_grin:

The Big Don

Reaction score
Remember EUREKA'S CASTLE? There are just some things in puppetry that cannot be accomplished through animation, no matter how hard the artist(s) try(s). The characters in that show were just so great & memorable; it would have definately been different if they were drawn
I am looking for copies of this show so bad. I check ebay and everything and i cannot find it. I found two hand puppets on ebay though.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I worry quite a lot about puppetry not being used in films or anything anymore, its really sad, I grew up with puppets and still love them thats why im a member of muppet central and all.

Its sad because most of the younger generations are only interested in video games and stuff like that. Its like that round here anyway.

3D animation and cgi is an excellent new tool for movies which makes things that werent possible easy but puppets will always be better. You dont want things too real sometimes as it is kind of boring. One day they might even replace actors with cgi!

Its a bad thought thinking that puppets arent being used much.

Its important for the younger muppet fans to continue being muppet fans to pass it on to other generations so they will never be forgotten.

The muppets are the best thing in the world! They are among the best things in my life, they keep me happy. I only have to think about the muppets or a muppet collectable to have a happy feeling. It sounds weird but its true.

I'd love to be a puppeteer like Jim Henson, but its not very likely because his footsteps are way to hard to follow.

from,
Paul
:smile: :stick_out_tongue:

Beakie

Reaction score
cgi usually just doesn't seem real to me.. it just seems like a cartoon.. not sure why, but puppets seem more real to me, you know they're really there..

DirthNader

Reaction score
I don't know about that last one. At the height of the CGI craze, there was some speculation as to how far this technology could be taken. Some film critics and actors suggested the possability of CGI actors.

In a way, it has already begun. The new Matrix has a number of scenes with a CGI Neo. While those scenes are a bit obvious, it seems like such transitions are more and more advanced as the years go by.

In fact, CGI is becoming old hat. People almost expect it in movies anymore, especially those high profile action and sci-fi films we all love so much.

Now, do I really think that there will be no more actors...? No. I feel confidant that we wil always need them. Of course, they may end up having a less than human costar.... can anyone say
Jar Jar?

Later :big_grin:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Nah. CGI will be something that enhances puppetry if anything. However, the major problem entertainment companies have is trying too hard to make the CGI characters look alive, or too cute; and that has a very bad effect on the film in whole.

If you don't want to see it take over puppetry, then write some letters and boycott films that COULD use puppetry instead.