"What a Cartoon!" Cartoon Network Shorts

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Yeah. The only comedic ones I can think of that are half-hour are The Looney Tunes Show, Gumball and Scooby Doo, all really great shows.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So... I guess Gumball is supposed to be more like the classic kids' ones like you said.

I LOVED the riff at parental groups in that one episode I saw...

"AHH!! Commercials! They'll corrupt her mind" (and smash the TV with large hammers).

But RS, Mad, and AT really seem like the pre-adult swim series.

Oh... this one's for D'Snowth...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYloJ2rQ5ss
Japanese Courage the Cowardly Dog commercial. Two VERY Japanese looking shots, if you look hard enough you can spot them.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Very amusing Drtooth.

The voices sound so hilarious, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know I keep getting on this sandbox from time to time, but...

Really.. did anyone even LIKE My Gym Partner is a Monkey? Seems that everything but that has some sort of fanbase. I found a couple who did, but I don't believe them at all. Really... terrible, terrible cartoon.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I got thinking about another one of those later-period WACs that was pretty funny to watch as a kid, but seems really strange as an adult...

It was about a farmer who lived on a ranch out in the middle of the desert, and he had faternal twins: one was a boy who was human, the other was a girl who was a cactus...

So yeah, the mean ol' talking sun (definitely voiced by Tom Kenny) was cooking up the desert, so the cactus girl was sent out to find water with her ambiguous platypus friend; they come across this little baby raincloud who was a really big crybaby, so his big momma thundercloud rolls in and starts raining on the desert.

Schfifty

Reaction score
Pardon me for bumping a 3-year-old thread, but...

I'm surprised no one has ever thought of discussing the different animation studios that worked on the original What-a-Cartoon shorts. A majority of the shorts were done by Fil-Cartoons in the Philippines, which was (I believe) a subsidiary of Hanna-Barbera. Some of them had assistance from other studios, like Jamie Diaz Productions in Argentina, and (the defunct) Mr. Big Cartoons in Australia. A couple of shorts were done by Wang Film Productions in Taiwan, and I think only one was animated in Japan (the first Powerpuff Girls cartoon). Your thoughts?

And from my memory of watching the show, my favorite shorts were The Chicken from Outer Space (almost nothing beats Courage!), Yuckie Duck in Short Orders, the Dexter's Laboratory pilot, Changes, and the first Powerpuff Girls pilot, Meat Fuzzy Lumpkins.