"What a Cartoon!" Cartoon Network Shorts

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yes, indeed, lol. Actually, I think it was one of my personal favorites fo the WACs, though as a kid, it kind of gave me the impression that there was some kind of coralation between Johnny Bravo and Elvis, lol: Jeff Bennett did the same voice for both of them, not to mention Johnny B. had some of Elvis mannerisms, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If you have the Johnny Bravo DVD (I'd be shocked if you didn't actually), you'll know the true connection was a student film about 3 Elvis Impersonators that became a story about one Elvis impersonator, that somehow turned into Johnny Bravo over time. Jeff actually got the job because he did Young Elvis and especially matched his Karate moves in sound effect form. Way I hear it, everyone else was just doing Old Elvis in the audition.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Last night, I suddenly remembered a really strange WAC from 1999 (it was actually paired with a second Courage "pilot") about a space crab... and lo and behold, it's on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axI1_YKUALk

Now, when I was a kid, believe it or not, the morbidness and strangeness of a lot of things went right over my head (like those two Ralph Bakshi "Malcom and Melvin" shorts), but I remember even as a kid that this particular cartoon was rather strange, and mildly disturbing (and also very mildly graphic as well).

Xerus

Reaction score
Last night, I suddenly remembered a really strange WAC from 1999 (it was actually paired with a second Courage "pilot") about a space crab... and lo and behold, it's on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axI1_YKUALk

Now, when I was a kid, believe it or not, the morbidness and strangeness of a lot of things went right over my head (like those two Ralph Bakshi "Malcom and Melvin" shorts), but I remember even as a kid that this particular cartoon was rather strange, and mildly disturbing (and also very mildly graphic as well).
I remember King Crab. He was voiced by the late Frank Gorshin who also played the Riddler in the classic Batman.
This cartoon was created by Bill Wray who also made the Monroe cartoons from Mad Magazine. The Zesty character looks a lot like Monroe too.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I remember King Crab. He was voiced by the late Frank Gorshin who also played the Riddler in the classic Batman.
And what's interesting is that King Crab describes his second-in-command as a "two-face", which makes sense, it's like he's bipolar or something: he hates King Crab to the point he does the exact opposite of his orders, then acts like the trouble he got them into just happened spontaneously, and calls for help.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm trying to remember a late-period WAC (from 2000 I believe), maybe you guys can help my memory...

It was about a cat who was a cop/detective, and had a goofy-idiot sidekick who was a dog cop (maybe voiced by Dan Castellenetta, I remember him sounding almost like Homer)... and the "villain" was a grumpy old man who complained about his "hot cereal getting cold". Maybe the cat's name was Jeffrey, because that name keeps coming to my mind.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now, I gotta respond to what I said earlier. I checked out Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Mad... and I have to say, these are clearly adult swim style shows for a slightly younger audience. Actually, they're superior to MOST of AS's line up. They've all grown on me, Regular especially...

But what the network is really lacking is something kids younger than 10 can enjoy that isn't an action show. I do not lump any of those three shows mentioned into Cartoon Cartoons because, as I said, they're meant for a slightly different audience of tweens and teens that are a bit too young for Aqua Teen Hunger Force but want that same style of show.

I heard they royally screwed Genndy Tartikofsky on his new action series because they couldn't get a toy line (seeing how many Secret Saturdays and Generation Rex toys are stuck on the shelves, it's no wonder... but still). Now, they really managed to get some of their older kid shows to work, and it was a big gamble... but they NEED a classic TV Y7 style show. They need to go back to the Cow and Chicken- Chowder roots. They need new Cartoon Cartoon type shows for the middle of the day or something.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I believe The Amazing World of Gumball is intended for the Y-7 crowd. It's a very crazy show with a quite distinct style.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I believe The Amazing World of Gumball is intended for the Y-7 crowd. It's a very crazy show with a quite distinct style.
I only saw one episode of that, and I can't really make a decision about it. I dug it, I really liked the look of it, but I need to see more.

Seems like they have a LOT of 15 minute episode shows lately.