Christmas: Are they shoving it down our throats too early?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Both: the strings of lights around windows and porches are on people's houses, while the tree-shaped displays are on the roofs of businesses and such.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yes, there are some lazy people out there who still haven't taken their decor down, but I mean to say, people who have taken their Christmas down are already putting it back up all of the sudden.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Why the heck did Hershey start airing the Christmas Bells Kiss add from forever ago a week into October when there's another totally candy based holiday coming up that would make more sense to advertise? Just because I've given up on Halloween doesn't mean you get to.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Christmas commercials seem to start as soon as the calendar says October anymore. Heck, Walmart's already been stocking up the Christmas lights and decor in the gardening section all month long.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah. But for a candy company to completely want to skip Halloween. That's just... incredibly counter-intuitive.

Luke kun

Reaction score
I thought the whole atmosphere was insane, so on my way out the door, I stood at the exit, and screamed at the top of my lungs, "MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYBODYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I almost got arrested for disturbing the peace.
So much for Wal-Mart and their Yuletide cheer.
Well... as far as someone actually saying to you, "Happy holidays" instead of, "Merry Christmas," I would at least give them the benefit of the doubt on that one man... I mean, how does that person know what holiday you celebrate? It probably cuts down on a lot of awkward little moments where we have exchanges like this:

"Merry Christmas!"
"Um, I celebrate Hanukkah, I'm Jewish."
"Oh, sorry."

So, yeah, as far as that's concerned, I think that's just cutting down on going through those little to-dos.

But yes, you're right, in some cases, the word "Christmas" (and yes, nativity scenes) can be offensive, and in this day and age, it's safe to keep one particular group of people happy as opposed to others. Apparently, it's better to remove religious references to avoid offending irreligious people than it is to keep religious references in to avoid offending religious people.
When I was 11, I would say "Happy Christmas". I have no idea why, but I just did. This was the December of 2013 that was more about Mega Man to me than it was about the holidays. On the last day of school before winter break (this was 6th grade), my teacher told me that people say "Happy Christmas" in the UK. Later on, sixth grader me posted to Facebook an Elf Yourself video I made (we were watching a kid in gym class use the app on his phone), and guess what I said? Yup. "Happy Christmas." "From Danielle Otaka" -- the name I went by online back then. The first year of middle school was insane.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I was at the dollar store on Monday and already saw tons of Christmas stuff. I think that they should wait until AT LEAST after Halloween to start Christmas. One holiday at a time people!