Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

Randall Flagg

Reaction score
Yeah. I know what you mean. I just finished watching MCC and like I said, I felt Steve's :smile: was spot on by that point, but the voice difference was definitely noticeable the first time Steve voiced Kermit in "The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson."
Steve's Kermit always sounded different from Jim's. I think Eric Jacobson does a better job matching Frank's characters than Steve did matching Jim's (not to say Steve's were bad at all, but they were definitely different.) I just gradually got used to Steve's versions. But, I felt he sounded more "off" by the latest tv series. There was a sort of raspy quality to Steve's Kermit voice by then, which I didn't notice as much in the earlier projects.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I disagree somewhat. I'll agree Eric does well as Grover (though that took a long time to get used to) and Piggy, but I feel like there's still a very noticable difference in his Bert and Fozzie compared to Frank's.

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
I disagree somewhat. I'll agree Eric does well as Grover (though that took a long time to get used to) and Piggy, but I feel like there's still a very noticable difference in his Bert and Fozzie compared to Frank's.
I've felt for years that his Fozzie has gotten pretty terrible. Honestly, Fozzie was the absolute worst thing about the 2015 TV show. The later episodes were much better because there was a whole lot less Fozzie in them.

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
I think Eric's Fozzie is pretty good. As far as the whole debacle with this "scandal" goes, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I think there are things Steve is not saying, and I also believe there are things Disney is not saying, and the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Both are to blame for Steve's firing, not just one side.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I highly doubt it. The more likely scenario is that Steve's seemingly endless, one-sided press tour last week brought a lot of negative attention to the whole situation, as well as completely throwing Matt under the bus in his People interview. Matt, who, by the way, made the grave mistake in Steve's mind of accepting the role, but in reality is doing what is best for the character, moving forward. That is true of any of the guys who auditioned for it. They're likely giving the scandal of it time to die down and give some air before throwing Matt's Kermit to the wolves that are angry fan communities. We'll see it as soon as the guy shuts up for a moment or two.
I also think that that is what's also holding them back from uploading the remaining two or three Pigs in Space shorts as well.

beaker

Reaction score
First of all, welcome Greenhoodie. It's certainly encouraging to have more 18+ mature posters on here(no offense to the kids! Just, sometimes it's good to see perspectives from long time fans)

Regarding Mcclellan, I don't think I've seen a more happier management/performer business pair than her and Whitmire. Less than two years ago at Dragon Con, and pretty much all through 2014 and 2015 Debbie and Steve w/ Kermit were giddy and inseparable at promotional events for the Muppets. And I bring that up because it's strange that if this massive discord had been going on with Steve and his colleagues/management, that less than two years ago things (at least outwardly) seemed so harmonious. And yet now, we are being painted this ugly picture of "the real Steve" by the Hensons, anonymous current/former colleagues and people within Disney. But on Debbie's defense, I do take issue with people if they are putting a lot of Steve's firing on Mcclellan. I would have to think the decision would have come from even higher up.

On the issue of recasts, I'm still blown away with how eerily good Eric Jacobson is with Frank Oz characters. There's no part of me that watches those characters and thinks its just an impersonation or is taken out of the moment. I feel like Rudman really came into his own with the revival of Scooter, same with Baretta's Rowlf.
And while I do feel like there is some room for tweaking/evolving with Matt's Big Bird and The Count, Vogel has shown he's a perfect Sesame recast choice and more than earned his place as a veteran in two decades. Which is to say, logically it wasn't a blind straw decision to give Kermit to Vogel. However it just feels weird politically given the whole situation.

But Disney should debut their new Kermit soon if they feel it's up to par. They can wait one month, two months, or shelve it and just wait til the Hollywood Bowl performance and you're going to be having an intense fan debate about the new performance.

Perhaps that is the unfortunate part of this. Muppet fandom is underground. I said it in 1998 on here, and I'll say it again. You look at new properties like Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Rick and Morty, Bobs Burgers, Adventure Time, even brand new series and those franchises have infinitely more passionate fans(heck, fans in general) than The Muppets. It's just the reality. Even Hensons Farscape had an overall bigger passionate fanbase than actual passionate Muppet fans.
Which is why, especially with the opening of the big Jim Henson permanent Exhibition in NY, it sucks to see the small Muppet fan community online so divided.

Yes, Steves only other big character is Rizzo(who I feel as much as I love, should be retired without Steve) but to us fans Steve felt larger than life and feels like such a big part of the gang. Two weeks later, this news still doesn't feel right.

beaker

Reaction score
One more thing, for those that say Steve Whitmire is risrespecting the brass, and the brand; just look at this interview with Frank Oz two years ago about Disney and The Muppets. Oz one could argue looms as large only second to Jim and Jane Henson with being an authority on the characters and brand.

RealWonderman

Reaction score
This seems pretty telling, from Brian Henson:

Henson’s son Brian Henson also spoke out. In his own interview with the Hollywood Reporter, he stated that Whitmire would often “play brinkmanship” and make “outrageous demands” because he was Kermit — and that he probably should have replaced Kermit’s voice actor before selling the Muppets franchise to Disney.

"I have to say, in hindsight, I feel pretty guilty that I burdened Disney by not having recast Kermit at that point because I knew that it was going to be a real problem," Henson said. "And I have always offered that if they wanted to recast Kermit, I was all for it, and I would absolutely help. I am very glad we have done this now. I think the character is better served to remove this destructive energy around it."

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/7/...mit-the-frog-voice-actor-steve-whitmore-fired

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know I said Jim could never fire anyone except for Diana Birkenfield over creative differences, however, I just remembered that Michael Earl was fired from SST as well because Jon Stone said he "didn't take direction well."