Moby Dick

Old Thunder

Reaction score
It was a very dubious-looking, nay, a very dark and dismal night, bitingly cold and cheerless.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
With anxious grapnels I had sounded my pocket, and only brought up a few pieces of silver, -- So, whenever you go, Ishmael, said I, to myself as I stood in the middle of a dreary street shouldering my bag, and comparing the gloom towards the north with the darkness towards the south -- wherever in your wisdom you may conclude to lodge for the night, my dear Ishmael, be sure to inquire the price, and don't be too particular.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
With halting steps I paced the streets, and passed the sign of "The Crossed Harpoons" -- but it looked too expensive and jolly there.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Further on, from the bright red windows of the "Sword-Fish Inn," there came such fervent rays, that it seemed to have melted the packed snow and ice from before the house, for everywhere else the congealed frost lay ten inches thick in a hard, asphaltic pavement, -- rather weary for me, when I struck my foot against flinty projections, because from hard, remorseless service the soles of my boots were in a most miserable plight.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Too expensive and jolly, again thought I, pausing one moment to watch the broad glass in the street, and hear the sounds of the tinkling glasses within.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
But go on, Ishmael, said I at last; don't you hear? get away from before the door; your patched boots are stopping the way.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I now by instinct followed the streets that took me waterward, to for there, doubtless, were the cheapest, if not the cheeriest inns.