Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

MWoO

Reaction score
Well, you certainly called this one correctly, D'Snowth. Cons can be so predictable. Mind you, this isn't even a story about an accused criminal resisting arrest. This is the killing of an African American man who not only wasn't guilty of anything, but was doing what was right. And yet, it's so difficult for some to simply say that the killing was wrong...period. To be a good conservative, they have to throw in a "but" somewhere.
Did anybody say the killing wasnt wrong? Did I miss something? Its not murder, but that doesnt make it right either. Also, again, you assume this was racially motivated. The cop saw a guy on top of another guy with a gun in his back. They saw a person with a weapon. Nothing proves this was racial other than the victim being black.

I think the cop may have been negligent and probably guilty of manslaughter. Not the same as saying its a racially motivated murder. Intent is a HUGE factor. There are different degrees in the legal system for a reason.

Censored

Reaction score
Did anybody say the killing wasnt wrong? Did I miss something? Its not murder, but that doesnt make it right either. Also, again, you assume this was racially motivated. The cop saw a guy on top of another guy with a gun in his back. They saw a person with a weapon. Nothing proves this was racial other than the victim being black.

I think the cop may have been negligent and probably guilty of manslaughter. Not the same as saying its a racially motivated murder. Intent is a HUGE factor. There are different degrees in the legal system for a reason.
Incompetence can be just as deadly as hate.

MWoO

Reaction score
Yeah... hence why we have laws against it. But there is a difference between saying this is an example of racist cops murdering a black man and saying this is an example of cops not being able to properly deal with a situation.

Censored

Reaction score
There are different degrees in the legal system for a reason.
That might be good to remember the next time you advocate treating all undocumented immigrants as hardened criminals, including children.

Censored

Reaction score
Yeah... hence why we have laws against it. But there is a difference between saying this is an example of racist cops murdering a black man and saying this is an example of cops not being able to properly deal with a situation.
Newsflash: It could have been both. He could have jumped to such a conclusion because he was African American. Again, you would not be this apologetic for a Black perpetrator.

MWoO

Reaction score
Newsflash: It could have been both. He could have jumped to such a conclusion because he was African American. Again, you would not be this apologetic for a Black perpetrator.
First of all, you have no idea what I would or would not think in any situation. Second, if you reverse the races my position would be exactly the same. However, I have yet to see a story where a black cop shot a white person and the first reaction was racism. I don't immediately jump to the conclusion that this was racial.

Is it possible it was racial? Yes, there are racists in the world. However, there is nothing that has been reported thus far that says this was racial except for the fact the victim was black. Just because a terrible tragedy happened to a black person does not mean the cause was racial.

The only people that make race an immediate issue are racists.

MWoO

Reaction score
Do you even realize that this actually supports the idea of judging the cop on his own merit given the situation as opposed to assuming racism because "all cops are racist"? Like... do you even understand the things you post?

Censored

Reaction score
Do you even realize that this actually supports the idea of judging the cop on his own merit given the situation as opposed to assuming racism because "all cops are racist"? Like... do you even understand the things you post?
One way or another, the killing was wrong. Why do you keep trying to defend it on some kind of level?

MWoO

Reaction score
One way or another, the killing was wrong. Why do you keep trying to defend it on some kind of level?
Where did I defend the killing? I said it was negligent and rises to the level of manslaughter based on released facts. How is that defending the killing? The only difference is I do not jump to the conclusion that it was racially motivated. I can say the killing was unjust and still not think it was racially motivated because I am capable of not viewing everything in terms of race first.

If it comes out that the cop was blatantly racist and said he hated all black people, then my opinion will change. I will not just assume he is racist because a white person did something terrible to a black person without proof. You know why? Because that would in and of itself be racist!