Matt Vogel

dbarrie

Reaction score
Is Caroll Spinney slowing down?

The other day I tuned into SS for the 1st time in many moons. When I first heard Big Bird's voice it sounded like he had a cold, but then I discovered that it wasn't Spinney's voice. This Matt Vogel--how long has he been doing the Bird's voice? Is Spinney slowing down? Guess it's allowed at 70, but has he talked about retiring from SS? It would contradict what he had implied in his book (i.e. that he'll keep working until his time's up).

Secret Squirrel

Reaction score
Matt performs the Bird only when Caroll isn't available. Mostly you'll see and hear him in Journey To Ernie, and occasionally on the Street.

As indicated in his book, Caroll still intends to perform Big Bird for as long as he possibly can. Meantime viewers get the benefit of a gradual transition and Matt has an amazing mentor.

secret squirrel

DrGoshposh

Reaction score
Is there any specific reason that Matt does the Journey segments as Big Bird exclusively? Was it a cost issue, or did they want to give the viewers a taste of both Birds to make the transition more gradual?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I would guess the segments are shot separately, so that probably has something to do with it. I also saw a street segment this year with the bird that I thought was Matt, but I could be wrong. Unfortunately I don't know what episode it was.

WiGgY

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
I would guess the segments are shot separately, so that probably has something to do with it. I also saw a street segment this year with the bird that I thought was Matt, but I could be wrong. Unfortunately I don't know what episode it was.
Once in a blue moon Matt does big bird for the street segment. I think the only time I heard Matt on the street was for a spanish word of the day segment. I guess Matt does Big Bird in JTE for the same reason Frank does Cookie and Grover as much as possible in the Cookie and Global Grover segments. It's probably a schedule thing.

I think it's good to have the performers switch on and off. It's much less of a shock when the final switch is made.

Secret Squirrel

Reaction score
Wiggy/Buck. It's not a cost issue. Scheduling plays a part: JTE, like Elmo's World, is shot separately from the regular season.

Also (while Caroll is still very much fit and well), JTE is much more physical than the average street scene.

As to why you'll occasionally hear Matt's Bird voice on the street. It has become customary on SS to use a Bird double for street scenes when Caroll is unavailable. Noel McNeal was his regular stand-in until he left to do Bear, and as Rick Lyon mentions on his site, he has subbed as well. On those occasions Caroll would either pre-record or dub vocals. Now that Matt is Caroll's stand-in, Caroll doesn't always need to record the voice track.

There are always fans who enjoy spotting things like this, but ultimately the aim is for it not to matter at all.

secret squirrel

WiGgY

Reaction score
I think I heard a voice loop today. It didn't sync up totally. It isn't an issue though, but it is fun to try and spot this stuff. It's also interesting to hear the differences between Eric and Frank. I guess when the perfromers are still alive and performer it's fun, but if one of them were to ever pass, like Jim, it's not fun anymore.

Xerus

Reaction score
And I have noticed that Big Bird and Oscar are now doing skits together. Matt must be doing one character while Caroll does the other.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
does mat do any work with the two heade monster who really does the two head monster