Fun-4-All may produce Sesame Street Action Figures

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdiresta

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Happy Tree friends... you know, as an indepented animator in school, I've always wanted to see that stuff...

I'm just asking the question, does Sesame Workshop actually enforce, or suggest doing cartoon likenesses?
They wanted us to use the 35th anniversary "retro" style guide art as a basis...if you guys saw this art, you'd know where these figures are coming from. Bert is way "uglier" in the style guide...trust me. I really believe that these figures will be very cool once they are completed.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hey, PD!

They might as well gave you this art for a basis:
http://www.toughpigs.com/anth03sept01.htm

You'd think they would think about their mass audience and fans than just what 'they' want.

How far along are you in the deal, and if we offered suggestions, could you take them to the SW folks?

FOZ

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'd still try to sway them into making these more like the puppets. You bought the license for a heck-of-a-lot-a money. You deserve to make what you want as long as they resemble the source material and are in the spirit of the characters. Just not digging the style. If the Muppet line came out of the style guide, I'd be equally as disappointed. We know that they went through several struggles to get what the fans really want and worked out a compromise that would suit everyone. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
By the way, if I type this in big bold font, maybe it will be answered.

Will Oscar be sculpted in his can?

Thanks. LOL! :confused: :grouchy:

Gordon Universe

Reaction score
I have to say that I think the style of the toys is really cool, and I will definitely be picking up the first two series based on what characters are planned to come out (and because I think the pics are sweet). GOD! I can't believe I'm going to own a figure of Two-Headed Monster!!

I was very surprised at how many big-time characters are coming out in the first two series; I hope the line will have longevity. That's one thing I think Palisades is good at - spacing characters out to make sure the line as a whole lasts longer and we get to see more obscure characters. (actually, saying "that's one thing..." is quite insulting to Palisades, so, I should say that I love their Muppet line and I have all of them).

I know that the scale is tentatively going to be close to what Palisades is doing, but what of large characters like Big Bird and Snuffy? are they going to be twice as big as the other figures in the line? how will you package them? Palisades has said before that their Sweetums figure will be 10", though that's something they said before they actually went into production on him, so I'm not sure of his current size - will Big Bird be this large? I sure hope so.

Oh, also, are you planning on doing a regular Grover, too? Or are the cape and helmet removable? Planning on doing variants? I would love to see Cookie Monster as Alistair Cookie from Monsterpiece Theater.

radionate

Reaction score
pdiresta said:
we actually just did a line of Muppet "3D-Animators" or push-puppets, that came out pretty cool
yeah but they look surprisingly like another line of products released from a company that everyone on this board is familar with.

Perhapes if you guys had a finished product to style these figures after, everyone hear might not be having the same comments about lack of detail, paint schemes, etc.

Drtooth

Reaction score
pdiresta said:
They wanted us to use the 35th anniversary "retro" style guide art as a basis...if you guys saw this art, you'd know where these figures are coming from. Bert is way "uglier" in the style guide...trust me. I really believe that these figures will be very cool once they are completed.
I knew it! I can't believe everyone was more comfortable with the Simpsons line than this. The paint jobs are horrible start to finish, and the scale is thrown around. The only complaint they got was about Database!

I'm pretty much the ONLY person who actially wants this line (the Stuff on Palisades is really disparaging...:cry: ingrates) so I like what you're doing, and if no one else wants these, I'll buy up their share.

Gordon Universe

Reaction score
I agree, Drtooth - except that you are the only who wants them - becuase I do, too!!

I think these Sesame Toys look awesome. I wish everybody wasn't complaining so much.

pxlforge

Reaction score
I'll probably pick up a Bert and Ernie as a test to see how they look with the Muppets (scalewise and blending). Since these are still in the prototype stage, I'm hoping they can hook up with a few obsessed fans to tell them where they went wrong. (Which was underestimating the nitpickyness of the Sesame/Muppet experts - ANYTHING less than 100% show accuracy WILL draw fire.

That being said, I still agree with them... the figures SHOULD look more like the puppets. It won't make the line any less child friendly, but would make the nostalgic hardcore fans very happy.

Is there any way to create a happy medium (kind of in the same way that Palisades combined versions of Muppets from different eras into the quintessential sculpt)?

Maybe some puppety details could be added to the artwork based sculpts?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree. I know these should be child friendly and I'm willing to see some rigid articulation, but the likeness has nothing to do with being kid-friendly. I'd try negotiating with SW.

Still no reply about Oscar's trash can. :grouchy: :zany:

Status
Not open for further replies.