Dire Straights!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Actually I knew that (really!). Just another example of my poor typing and proof-reading skills at work Meep. :wink:

Meep

Reaction score
Awww

Buck-Beaver said:
Actually I knew that (really!). Just another example of my poor typing and proof-reading skills at work Meep. :wink:
No worries ; )

ToastCrumbs

Reaction score
Kermit/Beaker Puppets

Just wanted to share a little bit of info with you guys... Beaker is not made from scott foam or soft foam, he's made from an extremely strong cardboard tube, if I remeber correctly this fits into a slighty larger tube and allows him to slide his head up and down.. He then gets covered in fleece. Nose Is carved from a chunk of scott most likely, and his eyes are plastic wacky stacks. There is no body structure to this character, just his shirt provides what little shape he has. He's known as a live hand puppet, which means that his hands are like gloves that a puppeteer puts on.
As for Kermit his eyes have not been made from ping pong balls for over twentyfive years. The workshop has a wide assortment of plastic spheres all shapes and sizes that they use now, they're much stronger too. There's tons of information out there on Kermit. I think most everybody knows that he has no structure to his head at all. Jim created his skull shape with just his hand. His mouth plate is very flexible and is made from a type rubber sheet, most of you guys know what this is called. His body is a bit more complicated and is created using a pattern to created its three demensional shape from a more durable type of sheet foam. Pay close attention to Kermits arms and legs they are not as simple as one may think, watch how they move and bend. A good place to start with building a pattern for Kermits head is by buying one of the better hand puppet versions that are sold in stores. There was a great one that was out around five years ago. Hope this clears some things up.

As always HAPPY PUPPET BUILDING TO ALL...

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
A cardboard tube, so simple. See, this is why I love Toastcrumbs!

While you're on a roll, any chance you cough up some info on those mysterious clips reportedly used to secure removable arm rods? :excited:

ToastCrumbs

Reaction score
Mysterious Armwire Clips

It's funny how so many Muppet fans are curious about these arm wire clips. To the best of my ability I do remember seeing them around. They were made of some type of plastic or resin and were redish in color. They operated like any other type of clip, you just squeezed them and poped the armwire in. For the most part I think they were used with principal characters that were rodded on Muppet Show or Fraggale Rock, but I'm not positive. Most background puppets didn't get these. I don't believe they are in use with any of the new puppets being built. I remember someone telling me that they use to break often so most builders just went back to making channels in the finger again. Muppets does have a patent on the design. I'd say a strong fabric channel and lots of saftey pins is your best way to go about keeping armwires in place.

As always HAPPY PUPPET BUILDING TO ALL!!!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Thanks!

I had heard about this from a former employee of the shop awhile back and I got the impression they were something "custom". I've just always been curious about them...if they are patented then one day I might try to dig up the drawings for through the US patent office for the sake of curiosity.

Thanks again!

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Maybe it's early, but I think I'm having a brain fart...... what did he mean by making a "channel"?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
My understanding of this is that it is basically a small fabric "tube" inside the puppet's hand which the arm rod is inserted in to. At least I have seen that design elsewhere.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Meep said:
I'm a design student at a local college. My group and I have a HUGELY weighted assignment- to choose a designed item, and trace it's materials through history. I also have to re-create an object that relates to my chosen object.
I was curious about how this was going...incidently what college up here are you going to?