Muppet Christmas Carol (MISSING Musical Number)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've noticed that there was a line cut out from Muppet Treasure Island's "Cabin Fever" segment. "We were sailing, sailing over the bounding main... and now we're not, huh huh!" What was the reason for that? I thought it was funny!

Jessie

Reaction score
Forget trying to add a song.

Lets try and get them to cut out that God-awful duet with Belle and Scrooge...

petrieboy

Reaction score
Letter to Henson

Hi,
I hope my letter doesnt offend any of you by sounding egotistical (since I made it sound like it was from all of us)... but here is their short reply.

Dear Peter,

Thanks for your many and good suggestions. This "consensus" has been forwarded to the marketing team here.

Regards . . . The Jim Henson Company

At 07:16 PM 6/15/02 -0600, you wrote:

Dear Henson,

I understand that the chopped up dvd version of "Family Christmas" is due to restrictions initially implemented for its television broadcast. I guess the use of certain songs was prohibited from video releases. Do you think, however, that someone with power at Henson could ask for a revision of these terms so that the fans can get a complete and unedited dvd. Is it a matter of finance and lack of funds? The name "Henson" stands out to most people- and if it's not a matter of lack of funds, I know that a new agreement could be arranged. Jim Henson is such a grand part of America's history, and this project was one of his highlights. There's a bit of stomach tension while watching this beloved classic, remembering parts from our childhoods, and having them skipped over.
In addition, there is a general consensus among fans in regards to other "Henson" merchandise and hoped-for merchandise.

1. We want widescreen dvds, not full screen (or both on one disc, or separate editions.)
2. We want the complete Fraggle Rock series released on dvd.
3. We love box sets (e.g. Muppet Show, Dark Crystal/Labyrinth)
4. We love to save space and money- meaning... we never understand why dvds are so often released with only a few episodes per disc, when dvd discs can hold so much more material. For instance, lets say the entire Fraggle Rock series is released--- It could be released in one thin box (that has the appearance of a rock; did I mention that we also love fancy packaging) and it could feature: 1 disc holding season 1, 2, and 3 and another disc holding season 4, 5, and the entire "Fraggle Rock" cartoon series. Or, 2 discs with all 5 seasons, and one disc with all the Fraggle cartoon episodes.
5. We love extra features, documentaries, animated menus.
6. We want the complete Jim Henson Hour released on dvd with their attached Storyteller Series(including My hedgehog Hans). We do not want them separated, but it would be nice if we could skip directly to Storyteller parts for those of us mostly interested in those.
7. We want Muppets Tonite released on dvd.
Please hear our plea. And also, let me know if you need someone for your marketing division... I'll be right over. I would love it.
Thank you,
Peter Fawthrop

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, the song "When Love is Gone" with Scrooge and Belle was not shown in the theaters (in the US anyway), it was added for the video release.

Jessie

Reaction score
Why in the world would they add that for the video release? Oy...

danielromens

Reaction score
Hey Phil, are you sure about the song being cut in theatres, I could have sworn I remember fidgeting uncomfortably in my seat during that number. I think I was also complaining about it afterward. It was such poignant disdain, I feel like it were real.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw it multiple times in different parts of the country and the song was cut in each showing. Others have confirmed this previously as well.

It is possible the song was shown in other places, even though it's more unlikely with a Disney release than some other studios.

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
When love is Gone

At the theater I was working at when the movie was released, I got teased by my co-worers because I knew all the lyrics, including When Love Is Gone. It was definetly in the release of the film in that theater in Connceticut.

radionate

Reaction score
I could have sworn it was down here in Mississippi too. But then again, my mind ain't what it used to be.