• No

Votes: 17 47.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
My thoughts, for what it's worth

rexcrk said:
Ok, this may seem a little off topic (sorta), but why the heck does everyone think that this will be a bad movie? Have the Muppets ever done ANYTHING badly?!
For me, it's not necessarily that the movie will be bad (though I fear that somewhat). It's more that they could be doing something so much more original than an adaptation. They already did this on TMS 20 years ago. Although the plots of the original three movies weren't exactly ground breaking, they were MUPPET movies, first and foremost. They weren't someone else's story that's already been told a billion times. The Muppets--not the story or some human actor--were the stars.

Also, some of us just really miss "the old days." So, there's some bult-in skepticism of any new project. I've never seen MFS or MTI but last year's Christmas movie was awfully disappointing. It simply wasn't that funny. Maybe I'm more of a fan of Jim Henson than of the Muppet characters themselves--if that's even possible.

jediX

Reaction score
They havn't done anything BAD -- now Swamp Years wasn't that great but it wasn't HORRIBLE (I've seen MUCH worse). Some of the older stuff (Fantastic Piggy Show, Tinkerdee) aren't exactly gems, but they weren't BAD. You want BAD? Go find a bootleg copy of the 1979 disgrace: Star Wars: Holiday Special...

Take my word for it. This is bad: seeing Bea Arthur (from 'Golden Girls') singing with the SAME creatures from ANH's cantina (featuring a great new character, get this, folks: a giant plush inanimate rat [talk about special effects!] ) or Chewie's father... uh... is it inappropriate to talk about Wookies fantasizing to virtual reality women? Maybe? Then I won't say what he's basically doing in this...

AAAAAAAAAAANYWAY...

I just have a low expectation for this because w/o Frank or Jerry Juhl it's just not the same :frown:

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
I had to go against my dog Rowlf and vote no....I feel a little bad but Toto has got to be something small, i guess they would have only used Foo foo is Piggy was Dorthy, or Camilla if Gonzo was dorthy, lol! But they want to put Pepe somewhere with the main gain and he's small so that's where he will fit in. I do hope Rowlf lands some where with many, loud, clear spoken lines and interaction with other characters, It was great to see him in IAVMMCM and it was great to hear his short background lines, but i want to "Listen to Rowlf talk" not just hear him. :smile:

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I voted for Rowlf, because I wouldn't be able to stand looking at Pepe's ugly mug for 1 1/2-2 hours. Man, I can't stand that overexposed little runt.....

Beauregard

Reaction score
*Welcome to the Wonderfull Pepe show!!!*

If that hapens, I am out of here!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Surpringly few people have voted for Pepe, though I know that he'll be ebtter than Ralph as that part (Sure, I don't like him, but Ralph is just WRONG for that part, or teh other way arond, that part of WRONG for Ralph)

guysmiley4ever

Reaction score
i have an idea...

bleah. a talking Toto? and of all characters...Pepe? :stick_out_tongue:

We should have a Poll of what character should be Toto. make a list.
Camilla is great! Why not? That would be interesting and have many possibilities, especially with Gonzo.
Hopefully Gonzo is in the show. It could work...

I think Rowlf is a bad idea because he's just too smart to be Toto.
It would be an insult to put him in that sort of a role.

Pepe would be annoying. I love Rowlf, but not as Toto.
Camilla makes sense because Dorothy lives on a farm and a lot of kids have pet chickens. Or there's even Barkley (?), ya know, the dog from Sesame street.

:smile:

Gusworld

Reaction score
I find it interesting that most of the discussion of who would be suitable casting is largely based on the MGM movie. If there's one thing we've learnt from previous adaptations, it's that the Muppet team aren't afraid to mess around with the plot and main characters. So assuming that Rowlf should play Toto because Toto is a dog seems a bit narrow-minded to me.

Something else: Amongst my non-Muppet obsessive friends, Pepe is still a well-recognised character -- probably the only one who fits that description who emerged after TMS. Part of the reason for casting him is probably this recognition factor (cf. also his appearance in the Weezer video). Sure, us classic Muppet fans want to see Rowlf used more, but saying he has to be included instead of Pepe isn't necessarily good for the long-term prospects of the brand.

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
guysmiley4ever said:
Camilla makes sense because Dorothy lives on a farm and a lot of kids have pet chickens.
In the 1985 movie Return to Oz, Dorothy travels through Oz with a pet chicken (er, hen) instead of Toto. Brian Henson even worked on that film. Not sure they necessarily want to copy much from that movie though.