Favorite Real-life Films

mikebennidict

Reaction score
1 film that was interesting was the bus driver film where the kid goes by on a wagon pretending it's a bus and asking the kid sitting on the steps of the apartment saying wanna ride by bus. i won't releate everything they said but he tells the kid driving the wagon his dad's a real bus driver and we see footage of him doing his job. last part the kid with the wagon says, give me 25 cents or you'll have to get off the bus. he puts 25 cents in and the wagon goes off like a bus. now i've also referred to the kid sitting on the apartment steps as a he but at YL 1 said it was a girl. maybe it was. i thought it was a boy.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
oh here's something i fprgot to mention about the bus film. i could of sworn seeing the film a few times in the 80s and the bus said Seattle transit something. that's pretty strange. why wasn't it done in N.Y. were SS is made?

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
However, there is another more obscure version of the skit that I've only seen on a couple of occasions. It starts with pot boiling over in a kitchen and then shows a bunch of children dressed as bakers chasing one little girl who is dressed in brown to symbolize a peanut. Every time I saw this one, it was shown right after the factory version as a kind of encore presentation. Then it just seemed to disappear. I really thought it enhanced the whole song and I wish I could see it again. Anyone else remember this?
This clip you're thinking of is shown complete (I think) in the Joe Raposo tribute special. There's also an interview segment with the choreographer of that, I believe.

I like any film segments that have Raposo music, whether it's a song or instrumental. The best ones are the instrumentals that don't have dialogue over them. With all that music he wrote, it would've made a nice "Carnival of the Animals"-type LP release in the early 70's. :smile:

Mokeystar

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
oh here's something i fprgot to mention about the bus film. i could of sworn seeing the film a few times in the 80s and the bus said Seattle transit something. that's pretty strange. why wasn't it done in N.Y. were SS is made?
Hey Mike--

Speaking of Seattle and the bus clip, a few days ago, I mentioned a 'remake' of the ABC clip (that was originally filmed in New York City) that had been remade in my "home town". You told me that you had remembered the clip and asked me why I didn't mention where I was from. Well, funny thing you asked. I'm from Seattle. :wink:

I don't think it was uncommon for Sesame to have clips filmed outside New York City. Why they did it, I haven't a clue. I can think of a couple of clips right off the top of my head that were filmed outside New York City in addition to the Seattle ones. How about the film with the man explaining "backwards"? I heard that was filmed in Pennsylvania. How about the early clip with the two boys touring around San Francisco on their bikes......or the mailman on his horse in Kentucky?

It makes me wonder where some of our other faves might have been filmed.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
well some i can understand and in the case of the mailman in Kentuckey because they're showing various life styles in America as well as other countries. the backward film was indeed filmed in Pennsylvaina the last part of the film when the annoucer asks the man do you know what backwards means? and he does than the announcer says ok everyone go forwards. but the don't. there was a subway sign and said someting probbaly Downtown Philladelphia. i would think when it came to things like the forward & backwards skits and the Zoo film they would of filmed these in the N.Y. area. i guess they musted hired film companies that were based in other parts of the country and maybe that's why those 2 were made elsewhere.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
rememebr this 1 that started out with kids playing in the sandbox and 1 would play with a steam shovel and then they would show a real life steam shovel at work and so on. this was the 1 where at the end this kid is eating ice cream and you hear s asound of 1 of those wrok machines as he's eating. all of a sudden he stops and the other kid sitting next to him asks, what's the matter? in wich he says, i'm broken. so the other kid sort of turns a crank and the boy is eating ice cream again.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
rememebr the film where a delivery truck sending boxes down a conveyer belt from the truck into some building and kids would count the boxes? there were 20 of them.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
rememeber these films about kids trying to guess what jobs people are doing. 1 was about the lady who as she says maintains and repairs telephone circuts for the telephone co. origianlly i htought she said telephone circus for the telephone co.

Nicole

Reaction score
I remember the one about milk. I always felt so sorry for the baby in the crib with the empty bottle!

I also liked a film about a bunch of girls on somebody's back porch and they were playing that hand-clapping game called "Down, Down, Baby." There was a younger girl watching them and then when they finished that round, one of the older girls taught the rhyme to the younger girl.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
This thread brings back heaps of memories, I remember the one with the crayons, I remember the coloured liquid in it.
I also remember the one where the kids design and build an adventure playground. Its been so long that I have seen these, probably more than 13 years because I don't watcj sesame street now but I have a few videoes though.
I remember the girls handclapping thing too. I remember something about shimme shimme coco pop! it sounds funny but thats what I remember about that film.