Ostrich Feather Boas

trooper_trent

Reaction score
While looking for a stuffed bear for my wife for Valentines day, I came across some feather boas at WaL*Mart in the toy aisle where all of the little girl pretend dress-up stuff is. They were around 5-6 dollars. Are these the right type, or do I need to go somewhere else? They didnt Quite look right, so Im assuming they were the wrong type of feathers.
Can someone tell me their method of attaching the feathers to the head? Do you just use hot glue, or is it sewn? Are ther any tips for placement so that the hair sits and moves right?
Thanks

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
If you're describing the same boas that Wal-Mart in Canada carries, they are not Ostrich feather boas, which are much more expensive. The boas with thicker feathers are often turkey feather boas, but it's hard to say. I've even seen ones made with synthetic feathers.

The approach I use depends on the look I want. I usually prefer sewing feathers in, but I'll resort to hot glue when I'm pressed for time or if the puppet won't be seen up close. You want to make sure the base of the feather is secure, but that it's not so secure that it can't move around naturally.

BTW, there's an interesting page about making hair pieces at http://www.btinternet.com/~quinnster1/hair/hairpieces.html that might provide some inspiration.

trooper_trent

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
The approach I use depends on the look I want. I usually prefer sewing feathers in, but I'll resort to hot glue when I'm pressed for time or if the puppet won't be seen up close. You want to make sure the base of the feather is secure, but that it's not so secure that it can't move around naturally.
Well, I ended up buying are really cool looking Maribou boa. The colors and length were perfect for what I wanted.
So when using a boa do you just cut off the ammount that you need and sew it in place in a spiral or what? I think I could get it to look like I want, I just want to know what others have done in the past.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
trooper_trent said:
So when using a boa do you just cut off the ammount that you need and sew it in place in a spiral or what? I think I could get it to look like I want, I just want to know what others have done in the past.
You should post pics of how you did it when you get the hair on.:wink:

trooper_trent

Reaction score
Puppet_Builder said:
You should post pics of how you did it when you get the hair on.:wink:
Well, here's what I did. I found a boa at Hobby Lobby made of Maribou. It wasn't a full length one. It was only about 4 feet in length. Cost was about $4. I bought the short one so I wouldnt have tocut it. Since the feathers are basically just securedby being twisted up into a rope, if you cut it, it will unravel. I started by pinning the boa on his head to get the shape I wanted. I started at the crown of his head and made a spiral, shaping it as I went. When I got it like I liked it, I just hand stitched it using a loop stitch and going only through the fleece. Here's what it looks like.
hair
Trent

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Nice looking puppet! Have you considered trying to "pick out" the seams in the arms so they're not so visible?

trooper_trent

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Nice looking puppet! Have you considered trying to "pick out" the seams in the arms so they're not so visible?
Yeah, Im working on it. Like I said (dont remember if its in this thread or the armslength thread) Im getting rid of the seams. It just takes a while to do it right. I got his head done yesterday

Show and Tell

Reaction score
trooper_trent said:
Yeah, Im working on it. Like I said (dont remember if its in this thread or the armslength thread) Im getting rid of the seams. It just takes a while to do it right. I got his head done yesterday
Hey Trent. If you wouldn't mind, post a few pics of his hands and body after youv'e finished picking the rest of his seams ok? Really looks GREAT what you've done already. You made it look easy. :rolleyes:

trooper_trent

Reaction score
Puppet_Builder said:
Hey Trent. If you wouldn't mind, post a few pics of his hands and body after youv'e finished picking the rest of his seams ok? Really looks GREAT what you've done already. You made it look easy. :rolleyes:
His hands are proving to be more difficult. I think its because they are stuffed with polyester stuffing so it stretches the fleece tighter making the seams a bit larger. I'll definitely post some before and after pics though. stand by.
Trent

Jinx

Reaction score
Arms, arms, arms

Hey Trent, while you're at it, have you given any thought to arm rods for this guy? I must confess that thus far, I haven't had any brainstorms for the best way to approach them with the Arm's Length style.

Alos, it seems pretty interesting to me that everyone who has ordered/gotten a kit has chosen model "C". Hmmmmmmm.