Ostrich Feather Boas

Ryan

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to purchase full feather boas made from Ostrich feathers online, or at any chain stores?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
JoAnn Fabrics sells them, ocassionally. Though, I don't think they carry them anymore. They stopped carrying their teddy bear kits, which I needed one of them today. :smirk:

www.joann.com

Jinx

Reaction score
I think it might depend on your definition of "full". Out local JoAnn store does carry two types of boas, one being, I believe, turkey feathers. They are quite full (ie. "bushy") and about 6 feet in length. They also carry a thinner maribou boa in about the same length. The prices are actually quite reasonable for what you get.

If you are looking for something a bit more "upscale" you will need to consult a theatrical supply house. And of course, there are many. Here's where you can find most of them.

Go to
stage-directions.com

Click on
"resources"

then click on
"Stage Directions Theater Resources Directory 2003-2004"

then click on
"Costumes, Makeup, Wigs & Costume Supplies"

This will bring up a list of dozens of suppliers and their contact information. Some will also have a small blurb describing their services in a bit more detail.

Hope this helps!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
If you look for dressmaking shops, or non-chain fabric stores in your area one of those should sell them.

For just about the best selection on the web you should check out The American Plume & Feather Co. at http://www.americanplume.com. I've heard that the Muppet Workshop has used them as a supplier and lots of professional puppet builders deal with them.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Ryan,

Be caredul when buying them online, As Jinx said. There is a big bushy Turkey feather boa (Which I see as useless), a thin Maribou boa (which is nice, I use them) and then the long Ostrich feather boa (Which is most commonly used on Muppets). The thin boa's wont do the same thing as the long ones.

ddavisborg

Reaction score
Ryan said:
Does anyone know where to purchase full feather boas made from Ostrich feathers online, or at any chain stores?

I have gotten them at hobby lobby and michaels. You can order them on line at the oriental trading company's website also. I believe they have a couple of different types to choose from. I use this company lots for hats and other accessories for puppets.

pdbooch

Reaction score
Oh, my! Americanplume.com is in my backyard! I never knew this resource was available to me. Thanks for posting this. Sheesh!

trooper_trent

Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but are you going to use the boas for the puppet's hair? I ordered an armslength kit and I wanted to know where to find the hair. I thought it looked like ostrich feathers.

Ryan

Reaction score
trooper_trent said:
This may be a silly question, but are you going to use the boas for the puppet's hair? I ordered an armslength kit and I wanted to know where to find the hair. I thought it looked like ostrich feathers.
Yep, I'm using it for hair on my next puppet.

Jinx

Reaction score
Boy, here's an interesting thing. Sometimes these solutions can be so obvious that we never see them. Just for fun I typed in "ostrichfeathers.com" and guess what? A site that sells feathers, boas, fans, etc.! :smile: