If Doc couldn't see Fraggles, why was Uncle Matt so easily visible?

Wembley

Reaction score
Well, here's my take on it:

Doc is a scientist/inventor - and as such, he's more into the concrete - that is, facts he can prove to be true.

Fraggles, by their very essence are magic! Doc cannot even consider the possibility of magic.

Children, on the other hand, have large imaginations and are very receptive to magic. This is why children can see Fraggles as Fraggles.

Most adults have some imagination, but not nearly as much as children. This is why to most adults, Fraggles may appear as part of the environment - that is, to the sheep shearer as a sheep, as a child to the teacher (in Gobo's School for Explorers) etc.

Doc, seems to have no imagination. Yes, he's creative - but creativity and imagination are two different things. While Sprocket knows there's something living in the wall, Doc sets up a series of experiements to prove it.

For anyone who's seen the last trilogy, "Gorg who would be King", "Honk of Honks", and "Change of Address", it really brings together the whole Fraggle/Gorg/Silly Creature universe - and is very well written and produced. I'd love to see more done with this storyline - Doc lives in the desert now, or maybe a new Doc is in the workshop - etc, and Gobo and crew travel to new places with Doc. Maybe we could even get to meet Ned Schimmelfinny! Now that Doc has "rediscovered" his imagination, there's no limit to what fun adventures they could have.

Of course, now that Doc and Gobo are friends, Gobo would have to have an email address... :smile:

-Rick "Wembley" Miller
..."You can NOT leave the magic!"

minor muppetz

Reaction score
people say that doc didn't beleive sprockt that there were fraggles. did doc ever acknowledge that sprocket saw fraggles but he didn't?

I haven't seen honk of Honks. can anybody tell me how gobo found out that humans couldn't see him? I thoguht that doc being unable to see gobo was because he was in front of the desk, which doc was usually behind, and that doc missing gobo was like how big birds friends kept missing mr. snuffleupagus.

Speaking of that, and of doc not seeing fraggles becasue he expected to see them, I have wondered if that was similar to the sesame street adults not seeing mr. snuffleupagus. as far as i know, big bird met snuffy without expecting to see him, but then he told the other humans, and they didn't beleive him, and they always missed him because they expected to see him. think about it. when they finally saw snuffy, was it hard for them to see him after that?

luvtosr

Reaction score
Sure.

Right at the start of the episode Gobo goes to get his postcard. Doc is behind the work desk as he goes in but comes round to work on something on the floor in front of the desk. Sprocket starts barking at Gobo and Doc says "What are you barking at, Sprocket, what is it? I don't see anything." and Gobo says "What about me?" But Doc doesn't hear him either.

Hope that helps.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
luvtosr said:
Sure.

Right at the start of the episode Gobo goes to get his postcard. Doc is behind the work desk as he goes in but comes round to work on something on the floor in front of the desk. Sprocket starts barking at Gobo and Doc says "What are you barking at, Sprocket, what is it? I don't see anything." and Gobo says "What about me?" But Doc doesn't hear him either.

Hope that helps.
why does gobo go to get a postcard? I thought that traveling matt had decided to permaneantly live in fraggle rock again after the fourth season.

luvtosr

Reaction score
Ah, got me. I'm missing a few episodes from seasons 4 and 5 so I pretty much assumed that's what he was doing,(yeah, yeah, I know what assuming makes).

*Runs back and re-watches episode*

He isn't getting a postcard, (silly me), he's "Going down a tunnel to see what (he) can see" seems he's just going along to see what's out in Outer Space for the fun of it.

I only just got the episode a couple of weeks ago along with about seventy others so they haven't all quite stuck in my head yet. Sorry for the mix up!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Just because doc couldn't see or hear fraggles doen't mean that other humans couldn't. how do we know that doc wasn't the only human who had this problem? perhaps there was some kind of disability that affeced certain people so that they could only see and hear fraggles if they were touched by one.

baby sinclair

Reaction score
This is tricky,but i cant really say much on this affair because i've never seen the last episode.But i do recall in some random episodes where fraggles were clearly visible.Theres was the one where uncle matt was standing in the middle of the street trying to communicate with cars,and the cars were honking their horns at him so apparently he was spotted that time.Uncle matt also played as a manican(i know terrible spelling)and a store clerk noticed him and threw out into the mall,so he was spotted then as well.Also one more encounter that i can think of is where uncle matt was in britain and this british soldier(forget their name they wear that marge simpson looking hat,lol)also spotted and startled him as i recall.

So from what i gatherd fraggles can be seen just as long as the viewer cant trace a fraggles origin which could very well make fraggle rock and our world have a gigantic black hole between our universes.I believe thats part of why he could'nt see gobo because the magical force that holds the worlds together felt that Doc was a threat because he would exploit this new world and cause a great threat to fraggle rocks culture.Thats my opinion and i guess it might make sense?

luvtosr

Reaction score
Actually it does. For most of the time Gobo was pretty good at hiding from Doc but in the Honk of Honks episode Doc is actually trying to do experiments to prove whether there is intelligent life behind the wall. Maybe it's the Science that blocks the Magic somehow and it could only be breached by Gobo reaching out to Doc in a moment of need. That's why Gobo had to be 'touched' by Doc emotionally then touch him back physically. Gobo had to have that feeling of empathy for Doc to create a magic link between them otherwise Doc might not have been able to feel him. Well, it's a theory.

Xerus

Reaction score
Sometimes, Doc doesn't even pay attention to Sprocket and his needs. Like when Sprocket needed breakfast, Doc was too busy trying to figure out how to sew a button on a fried egg and he ended up giving the frozen fried egg to poor Sprocket.

And when it was Sprocket's birthday, Doc was too busy with a favorite book of his to remember or notice the party favors, until the next day.

When Sprocket got stuck in the Fraggle hole, Doc didn't pay attention to him for he had a Doozer helmet stuck to his finger and left without looking at the spot Sprocket was in.

And when Sprocket got lost in Fraggle Rock, Doc was too busy with the pipes to notice he was gone.