If Doc couldn't see Fraggles, why was Uncle Matt so easily visible?

Gobo_Tron2

Reaction score
I'm going to try launching a new technical debate that Fraggle fans always seem to fall into. This question just sprung up in my head today. Gobo was so surprised that he was invisible to Doc and I guess rightly so, since Traveling Matt never reported encountering such a phenomenon with the countless silly creatures he's come across.

I'm trying to come up with a logical explanation for this and haven't been able to before. And I suppose you can just write it off as a show continuity problem, but I truly don't believe this is the case with a show where the writers even explained where the light in the caves came from.

The only solid information we have about this comes from Cantus who explains that Doc is someone who "cannot see". Possibly another clue comes from the Trashheap when she explains to Gobo about how everything is magic and silly creatures easily forget this all-important fact.

But although this explains the problem as it related to Doc, it doesn't help to explain why countless other silly creatures seem to have no trouble seeing and interacting with Traveling Matt.

From my interpretation of what was spoken about it, it seems like it is some kind of 'sleeping' state that rendered Gobo invisible to Doc, as if Doc was 'Fraggle-blind' because he didn't "know" they were there. The explanation was all cryptic and somewhat difficult to translate into simple terms, but even if I just look at Cantus's words for what they were, it seems to me that a rather large percentage of humans would be unable to see Fraggles. Traveling Matt would definately have come across some of them by this point.

Any ideas or theories about what forces are at work here? Something I totally missed?

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Hmm, I would've expected people to be chomping at the bit to try and explain this, but it seems that no one is brave enough to try and explain this as anything other than a continuity error. Only explanation I can come up with is that silly creatures aren't blind to Uncle Matt but simply to the fact that he's a Fraggle (in other words, maybe when they see him, they just think he's a midget or a child, perhaps not paying attention). Poor explanation, I know, but it's the only one I've got.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

MWoO

Reaction score
Wow, I'm surprised no one has come across this thread in over a year as well.

Well, I do not remember much about Fraggle Rock, but I do remember one episode in which Matt visited a sheep ranch. The guy sheering the sheep just picked up Matt and sheered him too. So, since this is the only post card I really remember well, perhaps all the "silly creatures" do in fact see Matt as various things that would fit in with the surroundings. On the roller coaster he is seen as a child, on the ranch he is seen as a sheep, in the broom closet he is seen as a broom or something.

Are there any other segments that support this theory?

luvtosr

Reaction score
Hmm, Uncle Matt is mistaken for a doll at one point so the theory has weight to it.

Another, possibly more extreme and unlikely theory is that as Matt has been globe trotting he has been jostled around by so many Silly Creatures that his existence has entered into a kind of collective conciousness so he, and he alone can be seen by Silly Creatures and not seem weird to them.

I know it's a bit out there and it doesn't explain the shearing but perhaps that particular shepherd needs to visit the opticians...

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
I agree with David's theery. The reason that Doc couldn't see fraggles, was that Sprocket kept insisting to him that they existed. Therefore, Doc expected that if he did see anything, it would be a fraggle, hense, he saw nothing. The people who came in to contact with Uncle Matt, however, did not expect to see a fraggle, leaving there minds open to anything else that might fall across their paths, such as a doll, or a sheep. Does this make sense?

DerekJ

Reaction score
...Umm, no. :smirk:

I just assumed the obvious comic face-value--
Doc's just too disorganized to notice anything past his workbench, and the communications-impaired Sprocket would forever be frustrated in trying to get his intruder-alert across:

"My brain must be getting fragile--"
"(Arf, arf!)" (nods, "go with it...")
"--Oh, your brain must be getting fragile, too?"
"(sigh!)"

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
yeah i just figured he was slow moving so he never saw them

Traving Matt was seen by people and helped by them

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
When was Matt ever "helped" by a human? It would seem to me that they never did see him as a fraggle.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Fragglemuppet said:
When was Matt ever "helped" by a human? It would seem to me that they never did see him as a fraggle.
In "Let the Water Run", a little girl ran over and gave him an umbrella.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
In "Let the Water Run", a little girl ran over and gave him an umbrella.
Yes, because it was about to rain and the girl saw that Uncle Matt had nothing with which to protect himself.