The Fraggle Season that Wasn't

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
PukkaPukka said:
I guess this thread should then be called Season 6 - The Season that Wasn't.
I updated it to "The Fraggle Season that Wasn't" since there is some debate whether the show ran for four or five seasons.

What I believe happened is that HBO originally planned for another year of the show as was stated here. When it was clear that wasn't going to happen, HBO split the season four episodes into two calendar years, 1986 and 1987 in order to continue running new episodes for a longer period of time. By that point, there were three years of re-runs to air weekly in the meantime.

I'm going from memory on the above, but I have some Fraggle info I need to dig up to confirm if that is the case.

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
Janice & Mokey's Man said:
I also support the "there were 5 seasons" side. lol :smile:
Okay, sheesh...hehe, I think I must've inadvertently "muffined" my own thread (LOL). I didn't intend to spark debate over the number of seasons - we all know there was one missing, whatever the number. If y'all would refer to my initial post, I'd appreciate it. LOL again...and I'm siding with Phil about the 4/5 split - 4 seasons were indeed produced - and then split. There were an intended four seasons, and that is what has always been noted, production-wise. It's what Henson prepped for, and it's what HBO delivered...though somewhat "spaced out." I think I can recall a few other shows that have had the same thing happen, and their remaining episodes have still fallen into the "prior season" category. Oh well...*flogs dead horse*...back to my INITIAL question? LOL

>Adam

beigefraggle

Reaction score
They did wrap things up quickly in that last season, considering how much they had to do -- get the Fraggles, Gorgs, Doozers and Silly Creatures to accept each other.

Eight out of the 13 final episodes deal in some way with those various relationships. But even in the second-to-last season they started laying down the foundation for a good, heartfelt ending.... I mean, even in the first season they started heading in that direction.

With another season's worth of episodes I think they would have spent more time with Gobo and Doc. They only meet each other in the final moments of the second-to-last episode. Doc's hasty departure was sort of indicative of the show's sudden departure.

At any rate, I think Fraggle Rock ended well. You could say they went into the show with a sound exit strategy in mind. :smile:

Foodie

Reaction score
Phillip Chapman said:
I updated it to "The Fraggle Season that Wasn't" since there is some debate whether the show ran for four or five seasons.

What I believe happened is that HBO originally planned for another year of the show as was stated here. When it was clear that wasn't going to happen, HBO split the season four episodes into two calendar years, 1986 and 1987 in order to continue running new episodes for a longer period of time. By that point, there were three years of re-runs to air weekly in the meantime.

I'm going from memory on the above, but I have some Fraggle info I need to dig up to confirm if that is the case.
Dig! Dig like the wind!
:smirk:

Nick